Thread: Oda, Struggle for Power

Default Oda, Struggle for Power

Oda, Struggle for Power

Setting, STW Warlords edition, Hard, huge units, victory condition conquer all provinces

Summer 1550

Armies: Oda Nobuhiro, 1331 men, 492 samurai, 840 Ashigaru

This is the tale of the Oda Clan. I am Oda Nobuhiro a Daimyo of Owari. I have seen 32 years, most of it war. Under my father Nobuhide i have fought the Imagawa of Suruga and Totomi, The Saito of Mino and the Matsudaira of Mikawa so many times i have lost the count of battles. Besides all this i have fought my own relatives several times. A tragedy i hope will happen never again.

We are surrounded by several Clans. To the east Imagawa has secured their control over Mikawa and currently Koriki Kiyonaga has an army of 360 samurai in the province. To the North Saito Mazakazu is reigning over Mino province. To the West Asai Tadauji is controlling Omi province with his small army of 120 samurai and same amount of ashigaru. To the South West Kitabatake Ujinao hosts a strong army of 240 Sohei warrior monks and same amount of Samurai.

A year a go my father fought the Imagawa at Anjo castle Mikawa and was able to defeat this large Clan we have been fighting this whole century. This victory secured us peace with Imagawa atleast for a while.
    The cost of the victory was still too big for our Clan. My beloved father´s health has failed and he had to retire and is now mortally sick, so now it is my time to take the reigns.

At the start of this season our Clan council gathered once again with impotant decisions to make. Our strategy for this summer will be two folded. We will send emissaries to Imagawa, not to submit, but to ally with them. In the light of our reacent victory over them, it could be so that Imagawa Yoshimoto will now not take us lightly, but that remains to be seen.

My best general Shibata Katsuie, is to raid the borders of Mino in order to draw out the entire Saito army to field, so we can better understand their strength. He should not give battle but withdraw if the Saito are willing to give battle. We will also start construction for tea house in Owari, in order to train special officials to use for matters of more secretive nature.

From here it begins...

Autumn 1550

During the summer we werent the only active Clan. messages from the distance told us that in the East the mighty Takeda Clan have taken control of the Shinano province. Meanwhile the Uesugi have invaded Kozuke province successfully. In the West Mori has taken Iwami province and in Kyushu the Shimazu have conquered the Higo province. Another good news is that Imagawa and Takeda are now at war against each other. This should give us more leverage in alliance negotiations.

Our emissary reached Mikawa and is on his way towards Totomi. Shibata Katsuie was successfull in his probe to Mino. Meanwhile Saito Mazakazu took our bait, gathered his troops and prepared to give battle. Shibata reports that the Saito army consisted mostly of mounted samurai, which presents a problem to our larger, but infantry heavy army.

While some of our top retainers suggested that we should either instead invade Omi and defeat the smaller army of Asai Tadauji or confront the Saito army head on. My decision was different. After fighting a long time together and against Mazakazu i have learned that he is a capable leader but has a crucial weakness compared to us. His province Mino is far more poor the our Owari and now that the Takeda are masters of Shinano. He must be feeling threatened from many sides.

For this reason i decided to send emissary to him and demand him to submit to our Clan, while making the offer more sweet with some gold from our treasury.

Winter 1550

During the Autumn it would seem lord Hojo lost Shimosa province to some coalition of minor daimyos, or maybe to an rebellion. We dont have enough information to know what happened. Also in the West Mori Clan took another province. This time the Ouchi Clan´s province of Suo fell to forces of Mori Motonari. It would seem that man might be someone not to take lightly.

Saito Mazakazu did not accept out first offer, so it would seem we have to negotiate some more before he understands the failure in his ways. Our emissary reported that he has reached Totomi and in fact Imagawa Yoshimoto is in the province. This couldnt have happened in better time as reports from Mikawa told us that the Imagawa heir, Ujizane has taken control of their army there and that their numbers are now 600 samurai. It would be most disturbing if Imagawa would now start a foolish war against our Clan. I have given strict orders to our emissary to ask for audience from Yoshimoto with all possible speed.

Another important event is that following spring my brother Nobunaga will become of age. I hope we can celebrate that while good news will arrive both from Totomi and Mino. It may be that i must teach my younger brother some humility by not assigning him any troops during his first year of manhood, but i have to consider that again before Spring will be upon us.

Spring 1551

The season started with the celebrations for my brothers coming of age ceremony and in that sentimental state of mind i promised him his own samurai retainer band, so the young tiger can show his claws. Great news also arrived from Totomi. Imagawa Yoshimoto had accepted our offer of alliance. This should somewhat secure our eastern border. From North the news werent such pleasant ones. Saito Mazakazu still refused our offers of submission. He is starting to stretch my patience and i really do hope he will come to his senses before more drastic measures have to be taken.

Another turn of events worth mentioning was that the Takeda and Imagawa had made peace. Using this opportunity i ordered my emissary to travel to Shinano in order to propose and alliance to Takeda Shingen also. Further East Lord Hojo´s problems seem to mount up. Last season also Hitachi province was lost. Possibly to local lords like Satake, but we cant be sure.
    In the West it would seem that Lord Mori had over extended his forces as most likely Lord Ouchi or Amako had taken Iwami back from the Mori. I am exited to see how the events will unfold in the Chugoku region.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-03-2010 at 20:58.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Default Re: Oda, Struggle for Power

Beautifully written Kage.
    This space intentionally left blank

This is going to be a difficult one. The ronin in the 1530/1550/1580 campaigns are quite hostile to say the least. What are your plans as regard expansion and acceptance of the Portuguese? I look forward to the next update Kagemusha-san.

Thank you for your kind words gentlemen. I am aiming at moving forwards in about a pace of year per day, so this wont take too much of my time, but i must say im enjoying the game already. Concerning the strategy. I dont have any idea what Nobuhiro will do next and will it be him, Nobunaga or someone else making decisions once the Portuguese arrive.

Summer 1551

Armies: Oda Nobuhiro, Owari, 1331 men, 492 samurai, 840 Ashigaru

In the East Lord Hojo seem to have started a counter attack after falling back to Odawara in Sagami province. It seems Shimotsuke is back in his control. He also made an alliance with Lord Uesugi, no doubt in order to concentrate on his local adversaries, like Satake, Satomi and others, without having to fear the Uesugi invading his domain.

In Mino, yes that province bit North from our home. Saito Mazakazu finally gave in, but not easily. Apart sending him tons of money. The old war horse would not give in before i also married my gentle brother to one of his daughters. This makes us now in laws and i am sure that Mazakazu is thinking this as assurance for his life as i wouldnt kill a relative easily. That remains to be seen. My brother was not thrilled about this turn of events as it would seem the bride wasnt all he was dreaming about. I tried to cmfort him by suggesting that taking a concubine or two eases a lot the pain political marriage can create. Nevertheless i dont think this incident has any positive effects to my brothers already fierce character.

I received a message from Shinano that Takeda Shingen is indeed there in head of his army. We shall see if the Tiger of Kai is willing to join hands with us like the Imagawa did.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-03-2010 at 23:57.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I look forward to reading your AAR! I will give you some advice on your gameplay strategy: Don't take any advice from Samurai Nerd! Unless of course, you wish for another faction, not Oda, winning the campaign!

Zoiks! :D
    Last edited by A Nerd; 09-04-2010 at 00:15.
    Silence is beautiful

Hum... I will follow your campaign with great interest, Kagemusha !
    It is very well written and an enjoyable read.

Do you abide by some RPC principles for not invading any province on the first year ? Or... What was your reasonning ?
    I like the bribing of Mino a lot, even though I would have valued Ise higher. But maybe Ise will be your next target ?

Autumn 1551

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 731 men, Mino,11 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot, 600 Ashigaru
    Saito Masakazu, 480 men, Mino, 360 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot
    Shibata Katsuie, 600 men, Owari, 360 samurai on foot,240 Ashigaru

This season was season of grief for our Clan. My father´s condition collapsed. 17th of September on a clear morning just before sunrise he left this world.The veteran of countles battles and campaigns died peacefully in his sleep, finding peace in death, which he never found in life. Week later his burial pyre was set a flame at the Honmaru of Kiyosu castle. The high flames of his pyre climbed up towards the sky, while the forrests around the castle carried on their leaves the bright autumn colours. My brother Nobunaga turned towards me locking his black shark like eyes to mine, saying: "Our fathers death have caused the world to be set on fire. See how everything is burning, from horizon to horizon."

After the greafing period was over. I departed Owari in head of 730 men, marching to our new province of Mino. There Saito Masakazu was waiting our arrival in head of his army of 480. Behind me i left the reliable Shibata Katsuie in head of 600 men to protect Owari. Before me i sent a messenger to Mino with orders to start building watchtowers along the borders of the province, so we could have better picture what was around us.

Our emissary in Shinano couldnt reach Takeda Shingen as he left the province with most of his army. It would seem that Takeda took advantage of the problems of Hojo and invaded Hojo domain. Currently both Sagami and Musashi are occupied by Takeda. I gave orders for our emissary to follow Shingen.

Winter 1551

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 731 men, Mino,11 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot, 600 Ashigaru
    Saito Masakazu, 480 men, Mino, 360 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot
    Oda Nobunaga, Mino, 120 Samurai on foot

During the winter my brother Nobunaga joined my army in Mino. I am eagerly waiting more details about the stregth of the Lords around us in Hida,Echizen and Wakasa. Also i have nothing against knowing more about the Streght of Takeda in Shinano.

During the Autumn Lord Hojo surprised his enemies again. He pushed back the Takeda from Sagami province, but like it was not enough.Ujiyasu conquered Shimosa province from the smaller Lords. Hojo Ujiyasu seems like an enigma of a man. When he appears to be weak he is indeed strong. Admirable.

Our emissary travelled to Musashi, only to learn that Takeda Shingen had left there already. I wonder if the Tiger Of Kai has intentions to face Hojo Ujiyasu in a decisive battle this season.

Spring 1552

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 1731 men, Mino,371 mounted samurai,360 samurai on foot, 600 Ashigaru

During the winter we had surprise guest from West. Daimyo of the Southern Kyushu,Shimazu Takahisa´s emissary visited us with an alliance offer. To be honest. I cant understand how i can help him on the other side of the country, but as gesture of good will i accepted the offer.

Our emissary in the Kanto region informed that he has knowledge that Takeda Shingen has entered Musashi province. I told him to start alliance negotiations with Takeda immediately.

The border towers of Mino were built and operational. Crucial information was gained from the Lords around us. Wakasa is ruled by Hata Kiyomasa,with army of 240 men, half samurai, other half Sohei. In Echizen the army composition of Asakura Naomasa is similar. In Hida Kyogoku Yorishige has army of 240 samurai.

After we received the news concerning situation around us. A fierce debate amongst the councill broke out. My brother Nobunaga said that as we are surrounded by weaklings, we should split our forces and attack every direction. Another general Hosokawa Fujitaka´s opinion was that we should secure Hida in order to secure our western border.
    Shibata Katsuie reprimanded Nobunaga for his reckless proposition. He said:
    "Why should we over extend ourselves, when being surrounded by weak Clans we are safe.If we attack every direction. We will be weak also in every direction. Dono, we cant sit idle, but we cant move to all directions either".

Comments of Katsuie were received with nods and words of approval, while Nobunaga seemed grim as ever.
    After few more comments i made my decision for the coming season.

"Oda will send emissaries to Kyogoku in order to bribe them in to submission."

Summer 1552

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 1731 men, Mino,371 mounted samurai,360 samurai on foot, 600 Ashigaru

Great news! Kyogoku Yorishige decided to join us. I sent Saito Masakazu to convince him and it would seem that he was able to convince his northern neighbour that it would be better to join Oda, then stand on our way. After these news i had talk with Nobunaga and my little brother asked me with sarcasm dripping from his voice:

"So now that Kyogoku submitted, will we start saving money in order to bribe the Asakura next?"

I was in good mood because of the events of Hida and instead of punishing him from his insulting words. I just answered to him:

"Take 480 men and defend Mino.I will leave Saito Masakazu here to instruct you with issues concerning Mino. I will invade Echizen."

Winter 1552

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 491 men, Echizen,251 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot, 120 Ashigaru
    Hosokawa Fujitaka, 600 men, Hida,360 samurai on foot, 240 Ashigaru
    Oda Nobunaga, 480 men, 120 mounted samurai,120 on foot, 240 Ashigaru

I marched to Echizen in head of Oda army at the start of Autumn, but the cowardly Asakura did not give battle. Instead he run off to Kaga in order to save his skin. I am convinced that there he will do his utmost best in order to convince the Togashi Clan and their Sohei army to invade Echizen. Nevertheless with the conquest of Echizen our Eastern border was secured. I sent Hosokawa Fujitaka to Hida to lead its defense in case invasion from our neighbours.

Finally my emissary was able to start alliance talks with Takeda, which Shingen approved, so now we have alliances with Imagawa,Shimazu and Takeda. During the autumn, Lord Imagawa also joined the fray and went to war with Hojo. I wonder has Ujiyasu run out of luck. I ordered for my emissary to travel to Echigo in order to find Lord Uesugi.

Spring 1553

Armies:

Oda Nobuhiro, 491 men, Echizen,251 mounted samurai,120 samurai on foot, 120 Ashigaru

Another visitor from the Western provinces arrived the last season. Emissary of Lord Mori visited us with another alliance offer. Which we accepted. In the Hojo/ Takeda /Imagawa war another turn was witnessed as Takeda took Sagami again from the Hojo. Takeda Shingen has been at Shinano, so there must be another Takeda general leading that offensive.

This Spring our strategy was to consolidate our new holdings and develop what we already have. We started building castles both in Echizen and Hida, while a building of port was started at Owari. In Mino we used resources for troop facililities.

Our Emissary didnt find Lord Uesugi from Echigo, so he begun to travel to Kozuke, or Oshu as it is also called.

Summer 1553

Armies:

During the Spring there was a surprising turn of events. Lord Imagawa declared war to Takeda whom he was allied to and launched offensives against Shinano and the home province of Takeda, Kai province.

While Takeda Shingen easily repulsed the Imagawa armies invading Shinano.Kai fell to the Imagawa.
    The Clan councill debated the events with vigor. Nobunaga´s opinion was that with Takeda loosing Kai.They had little chance to survive against both Hojo and Imagawa. He suggested that we should declare war also to Takeda and take Shinano. If Hosokawa Fujitaka would support him with some men.He would easily defeat Shingen in Shinano.
    Shibata Katsuie did not give any plan of action, but said that if we would go against Imagawa. He would have very few resources to Invade Mikawa, even while it was reported that Half of the Imagawa forces had left the province. Katsuie explained that if he would invade Mikawa. The Kitabatake of Ise would have easy time invading Owari.
    Hosokawa Fujitaka´s opinion was that even if he thought also that invading Shinano might be worth the effort. He would fear that Hida would be left open to an invasion from North, so he suggested we should wait and see how the situation would unravel. All the three clans were now at war against each other, so it would be hard to say, which two would turn against the third.

My decision was that since Lord Imagawa´s decision to backstab an ally during time of war was an unhonourable act. We would remain allied to Takeda, while ou alliance with the Imagawa would end. We would not take any military action for now, unless attacked.

Our emissary in Kozuke reported that the dragon of Echigo Uesugi Kenshin was there. I gave orders for him to seek audience with the legendary leader of the Uesugi Clan.

Autumn 1553

Armies:

During the summer Takeda made their move. For in exchance of courtesy.Takeda armies invaded and conquered the home province of Imagawa, Suruga province. Now a Imagawa army is trapped inside the Takeda domain. This conflict seems far from resolved.

Great news arrived from Kozuke. Uesugi Kenshin had accepted our offer of alliance.

Meanwhile. Shimazu had strucked alliances also with the Takeda and Uesugi, while Mori had allied with the Imagawa. It would seem Mori Motonari appreciates ruthless men like Imagawa Yoshimoto.

Winter 1553

Armies:

As surprising the war between Imagawa and Takeda started, it also ended. During the Autumn the assailants struck peace, while Kai was transferred to Imagawa and Suruga to Takeda. Those kind of boandaries made little sense to me. I couldnt understand any other motivation for such peace, other then that the both sides were too depleted in order to fight each other and Hojo at the same time. I dont believe this peace will last. Nevertheless i ordered our emissaries to travel to Kai, in order to witness the situation there and possibly renew our alliance with the Imagawa.

We didnt get the best harvest possible and only construction of port in Echizen was started.

Spring 1554

Armies:

Nothing much happened during the winter. Shingen moved away from Shinano, leaving his strategist, Yamamoto Kansuke in charge, while our emissaries found both Imagawa Yoshimoto and his heir Ujizane from Kai with an moderate army of 372 men, 11 mounted,241 samurai on foot and 120 Ashigaru´s. So now it is quite clear that Imagawa is in great hazard. Both their daimyo and heir are in middle of Takeda lands, with army not much speak about. In case Takeda might launch a surprise attack it could be the end of Imagawa as the body cant fight without the head. I gave orders to seek audience with the Imagawa.

Summer 1554

Armies:

This time it was Imagawa Yoshimoto who surprised me. Instead of being holed up in Kai. The Imagawa Daimyo lead his armies out and took Izu province from the faltering Hojo. So i think my worries about the future of Imagawa seem now premature. Though i have to wonder were these worries in fact subconscius wish for the Imagawa to be crushed after all the pain and suffering they have caused to my family. I will have to meditate on that issue in order to keep a clear mind.

Autumn 1554

Armies:

Our emissary was able to reach Imagawa Yoshimoto in Izu and our alliance with them was renewed. Also we gained information that Imagawa and Hojo had signed a peace treaty. Then suddenly strange events unraveled in Kai. Takeda Shingen had returned to Shinano and immediately send a small army to probe the Imagawa defences in Kai. With the Hojo and Imagawa at peace.I thought that was a clear sign of bad judgement from Lord Takeda´s part and also after just signing an alliance with Imagawa.I choose to break my alliance with Lord Takeda, because he was the agressor and i had a feeling that he would not be able to stand against both Imagawa and Hojo.

Winter 1554

Armies:

During the Autumn,the Takeda campaign against Imagawa atleast started successfully. Takeda forces threw Imagawa out from Izu and now Yoshimoto is again holed up in Kai. We also had visitors during the season. From the letter exchance with Shimazu Takahisa i had learned that foreign Nanban traders had visited Kyushu and Western Japan for almost a decade. This year their ships reached Owari. They offered us a deal that if we would accept their faith of Christianity in our domain.They would trade us teppo, which are powerfull gunpowder weapons. I rejected their offer, which resulted into a furious argument with my brother Nobunaga. He was irritated about my decision and tried to remontrate me for it with the following words:

"Brother! Why are you undermining our efforts by rejecting the offers of the Nanban? Dont you understand that the next year they will most likely sail further east and then Imagawa, Takeda and others might have edge over us on the battlefields.This decision of yours was short sighted if anything!"

I replied to him explaining that as a devout Buddhist i had no intentions of letting foreign religions pollute our country and while i would be alive the situation would remain so. I saw a cold sparkle in his eyes when i mentioned my death. He replied:

"They are not asking for us to reject buddhism. They are asking us to accept Christianity. This doesnt mean that we have to build churches into our provinces, but just accept the christians and their worship in our lands. What harm would be in that compared to the benefits teppo´s would give us in warfare?"

I grew tired of my brother and interfered him by asking him which of us was the daimyo of the Oda and whether he would like to challence my role as the leader. Nobunaga went silent as he must have understood he had crossed the line of respect, but i could see from his eyes that he was vehemently against my decision concerning the nanban.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-10-2010 at 08:28.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Shameless double posting. Added to the yesterdays post few more years and posting just to start a new post, so a single one dont get too long.

Spring 1555

Armies:

Nothing much occurred this season, except Lord Mori swiched his alliance to Takeda from Imagawa. It would seem he is always on the side of the more agressive Lord.

Summer 1555

Armies:

The summer didnt bring any new turns to the the war east from us.Only news worth mentioning was that the brother of Takeda Shingen had his becoming of age ceremony and might turn out to be valuable asset to the Takeda.

Autumn 1555

Another idle season. Also it would seem that the warfare between Takeda and Imagawa is becoming more static.I wonder are we going to witness another peace threaty soon. Something pecualiar happened at Etchu province, where some thrid party decided to murder our emissary there. I am not sure if it were the locals or some other party that felt our emissary´s presence in the province might not be a good thing.

Winter 1555

Armies:

At the start of the winter season we received a word from Lord Shimazu that he had defeated Lord Otomo in huge battle at Bungo province taking the province in the process. Also word from east told us that Lord Takeda had made peace with Hojo. No doubt in effort to better concentrate on Imagawa. Now that Lord Hojo is at peace with everyone our emissary was dispatched towards his lands to suggest alliance.

This year we received a moderate harvest. With these funds agricultural projects were launched both in Echizen and Hida, while horse breeding program was launched in Mino.

Spring 1556

Armies:

Lord Takeda waisted little time after making peace with Hojo. In a winter surprise attack he defeated Lord Imagawa in Kai and now Imagawa Yoshimoto is besieged in Kai alongside his heir Ujizane. I feel that the end of Imagawa is nearing and we should remain vigilant if that indeed will be the case. There were talk whether we should aid Imagawa, but the concensus was that they will have to deal their own wars.After all it was Imagawa who first backstabbed Takeda.

Also a letter from Kyushu arrived. Shimazu Takahisa explained that his joy was short lived as in a furios counter strike Otomo together with their allies took back Bungo province from Shimazu and he had to withdraw South. Expansion doesnt seem to be easy in any corner of Japan.

Summer 1556

Armies:

Our emissary entered Kai province and found Imagawa Yoshimoto surrounded there by an Takeda army lead by Tsuchiya Masatsugu, accompanied by Obata Toramori and Takeda Nobushige. It would seem that the Imagawa Heir Ujizane has been killed. The Takeda army consists of 154 mounted samurai and 141 on foot, totalling 295 men.While the Imagawa has in the castle 11 mounted, 178 on foot and 108 Ashigaru, totalling 297 men. So in matter of fact Takeda is besieging marginally larger foe, while the quality of their forces is better then Imagawa´s.

Autumn 1556

Armies:

During the Summer Lord Uesugi finally made a move.Uesugi army invaded Etchu and the Jinbo Clan forces retreated to Kaga without a fight. The size of armies packed in Kaga province is getting rather dangerous. We lost communication to Kai as someone murdered our emissary there.

Winter 1556

Armies:

It would seem that the number of days for Imagawa Clan have been counted for. during the Autumn Takeda invaded Totomi and it would seem it is only matter of time.We will hear the news that the castle in Kai will fall to the Takeda.

Our new harvest income arrived and irrigation projects were started through out our lands, while the building of watchtowers were started at Hida, in order to understand the streght of Uesugi in Etchu and Togashi, Asakura and Jinbo in Kaga.

Spring 1557

Armies:

Shibata Katsuie, 480 men, Owari, 360 samurai on foot,120 Ashigaru
    Oda Nobunaga, 480 men, Mino, 120 mounted samurai,120 on foot, 240 Ashigaru
    Kanamori Nagachika, 389 men, Mikawa, 269 samurai, 120 Ashigaru

During the winter eventual happened. Kofu castle in Kai fell to the forces of Takeda and Lord Imagawa committed seppuku. This lead to the complete destruction of Imagawa. Koriki Kiyonaga who was in charge of Mikawa decided it was better to join our Clan then take his chances against Takeda on his own. I greeted his decision and sent Kanamori Nagachika with some reinforcements to Mikawa. His orders were to prepare the defenses of the province and also keep an eye over Kiyonaga, in case he would get some odd ideas.

The Death of Imagawa Yoshimoto had mixed effects on my mindset.On other hand i thought he got what he was asking for, while loosing an long time enemy and short time ally also rised sentimental feelings. Thus is this era.Mighty and weak fall alike.

Apart from the fall of Imagawa.Hojo Ujiyasu used the opportunity and took control of Awaji from his long time enemies,the Satomi Clan.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 09-10-2010 at 15:16.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

It looks to be going well, will you expand towards Musashi and then go for Shinano or maybe head towards Yamashiro instead?

Summer 1557

Armies:

During the Spring there was a rebellion in Totomi province against Takeda rule, but we couldnt get any further details concerning it.

Autumn 1557

Armies:

During the summer reports from Kanto region told us that just as Hojo had been able to defeat their regional opponents. Uesugi Kenshin declared war against them. Apparently Kenshin as Kanto Kanrei was not happy about Hojo subdying most of the Clans of Kanto region, which were officially under his protection. I do wonder how Takeda will react to this.
    In Totomi, Takeda made a short work of the rebellion and one of their armies is now besieging the remnants of the rebels.

Winter 1557

Armies:

Early Winter snow fell over the mountains and valleys of central and Eastern Japan and no major military action were conducted during the season.

A council of the Clan elders was kept in Owari in order to decide right path of actions for the following year. It was agreed that Takeda,Hojo and Uesugi were so tied up between each other that the time would be ripe for Westward expansion for the Oda. After carefully pondering over several options. It was decided that we should work in order to get Kitabatake Ujinao of Ise province to join our forces. My brother Nobunaga in his usual way suggested that we should launch a surprise attack agains the Nagashima Monto of Ise, but i declined vehemently. As a devout buddhist i would not raise arms against Buddhist temple and their Sohei. So it would be better to convince them to join us rather then destroy them.

Spring 1558

Armies:

Nothing worth mentioning happened East as the three way war between Hojo,Takeda and Uesugi continued. Our emissary was dispatched to Ise to have talks with Kitabatake Ujinao.

Summer 1558

Armies:

During the Spring news came in that Takeda had made peace with Hojo, so now the war was only between Hojo and Uesugi. Still neither side made any gains in their war. I must confess i am bit troubled why Takeda decided to end the war in such favourable position. Maybe they are planning on invading our domain?
    My emissary was not able to convince Kitabatake to submit in initial talks and i ordered him to double his efforts, as peaceful solution was the only solution acceptable for me.

Autumn 1558

Armies:

Kitabatake Ujinao, 480 men, Ise, 240 Sohei, 240 samurai on foot

Great news from Ise! Kitabatake Ujinao decided to join our forces. I ordered Shibata Katsui to send additional troops to Ise and stay in Owari, only with enough men to fend of the Asai, in case they would invade.
    Interesting news also arrived from Kanto. Uesugi and Hojo had made peace. So for a first time in long, long time there was relative peace in Eastern Japan.

Winter 1558

Armies:

Shibata Katsuie, 480 men, Owari, 120 samurai on foot,120 Ashigaru
    Kitabatake Ujinao, 700 men, Ise, 240 Sohei, 480 samurai on foot

As our reinforcements reached Ise. Kitabatake Ujinao sent a message to me that in his opinion, his fellow Sohei in Kii would most likely be willing to join our cause also as our ways seem more prudent compared to other Daimyos who know only violence when thinking about their smaller neighbours and he could personally take care of the negotiations. I promptly accepted his offer. If the smaller Clans would join our forces at this rate we would be on the gates of Kyoto in no time, without shedding a drop of blood.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 10-21-2010 at 00:23.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default Oda, Struggle for Power

Ahhh! Diplomacy can cut as sharply as the edge of a sword. Well done
    High Plains Drifter

I gotta try me some of that there diplomacy thing next time I play.
    This space intentionally left blank

Looking good. Takeda seem to be gaining in strength though. What are your plans next?

Apparently Oda Nobuhiro is thinking of expansion towards capital, while the Eastern Clans are too busy with each other.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.