Thread: smart peasants on tax rates

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

There is probably a century-old debate that whether it is justified for a player to raise the tax rates purely for the harvest season (Autumn), while keep it low for the rest in a SP campaign mode.

However, my opinion is not on this - just another suggestion about how we can fix this issue. Somebody already brought out a easy, nice solution that is to force you to set out the plan of tax rate for the whole year right at the beginning of the harvest year.

Here comes another (pardon me if it has already been mentioned): we make smart peasants who will react towards the "trust level" of the daimyo.

Each daimyo will be given a hidden attribute of his trust-level - an indicator of how much his people trust him. If one daimyo raises the tax rate suddenly prior to the harvest, his trust level reduces dramatically. Trust level influence how fast the peasants loyalty increases / decreases. On the other hand, if a daimyo suddenly decides to lower his people's burden, people will be very happy. However, complaints always outcast compliments, so one cannot keep up and down the tax rate to earn infinite people loyalty.

So it is more like an insurance thing in a car accident. If you are short of cash and let the insurance company pay for your damaged car, you got your insurance rate go up in the future - so you are going to pay back! Another good thing about the system is it is even more realistic. To avoid the complication of always playing with the tax rate of high-start-low-end, we can make people upset really easy if the tax rate is said to be high, and more content if the tax rate remains constant in the given harvest year. Then, we can all enjoy setting a tax rate at the beginning, while bring it up and down only if there is a need.

No I think that would be a bad idea. It would ruin the game if I could not adjust my rates in case I needed some fast cash.

I say we should leave the tax adjustment alone.

------------------
    The White Wolf clan will conqouer all of Japan!
    I will be Baron of the world.

War Story Recorder Senior Member Maltz's Avatar

Brown wolf I guess you were referring to the oringinal solution of the tax rate issue?

What I was suggesting is just a negociation between the two. By making the peasants smarter, we can now both (1) adjust the tax rate in case of need (2) play it fair, so we will not have players who claim how good they are, but are actually over-exploiting these bug-like features.

The only difference of this "smart-peasant" rule is that the peasants are going to dislike you if you suddenly bring up the tax rate - but they will also like you more if you give them a happy surprise. A merciful ruler who earns the trust among his people is likely to get much fewer revolts. Some of his troops might even have a higher morale as well!

Quote Originally posted by Brown Wolf:
    It would ruin the game if I could not adjust my rates in case I needed some fast cash.

[/QUOTE]

Honestly it doesnt matter, unless you have something against shinobi, they are more than capable of keeping your provinces in line (I only use 1 per province, maybe a few floaters to sit on problem provinces).

I used to play tax games until I got used to using shinobi, and discovered that the easiest way to guard a border is to invade border provinces then provoke peasant revolts. The peasants wont attack and they provide a living wall against invaders.

BUT I would say that your tax setting should affect population resentment for the Winter through Autumn months AFTER you get your harvest. After all Feudal Japan is not the USA, they dont hear about tax cuts on CNN. The way they know taxes got worse relates to how much the government people confiscated from them after they did all the hard harvest work. Get me? they are pissed at you AFTER you take their rice.

That should solve the problem!

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

there are 4 seasons in a year. why not just average it out for the tax rate over the 4 seasons? or, figure it based on what the rate was each season. at collection time you then get that result, not just for the last setting. simple.

K.

its fine, except maybe they could change it so you could only change tax every 2 seasons or something, only to make it slightly more difficult

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Oh-oh... whats next? A tax refund?!? Surely, no Daimyo worth his mettle will give rice BACK to the people!

They might despise him even more 'cause the rice would be seen as 'unfit for the ruler'... so they get fed the crap? Better to chase that pig in the neihbor's lot!
    [Sips sake, eats popcorn]