Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you guys use cheats?

Default How often do you guys use cheats?

I use the add_money cheat quite often. The only reason I use it is if my mnai drops to negative or if I need to build something in my cities... i always try to keep to keep my cities building something.

So.. how often do you guys cheat?

Default Re: How often do you guys use cheats?

Well, in my current Pahlava Campaign im using toggle_fow because im new to EB and to see how the AI expands

And in my Romani Campaign, well.. i have to use the add_money -2000/3000 to ensure my FMs dont get corrupt and so on...
    War is a puzzle with morphing pieces

I make Ancient Weapons and Armor

auto_win on battles I eiter don't have the time or motivation to fight myself but I'm sure I'd win.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

I just use toggle_fow. Otherwise it's a ton of watchtowers ftw!
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

The only cheat i ever used is toggle_fow and give_trait to remove traits i think are conflicting to my FM's Other Traits like Devout to a Utterly Pragmatic FM :D

I Never use the money cheat since imo it makes the game less fun if you can build anything you want any time...
    Current Campaigns

"tu regere imperio populos, Romane, memento"—"Roman, remember by your strength to rule the Earth's peoples!"

I use add_money sometimes, but I try not to actively "cheat" with it. I always use toggle_fow to check up on the AI's progression, and I always try to use move_character to get the AI to do stuff.
    The only real "cheat" I've done is halve the cost of every single fleet to encourage the AI to actually do something....and so I can build poliremes...
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

No cheat at all... never.
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

Last time i've cheated was in my Hayasdan campaign when i wanted to build homeland province in Armavir. I quit that campaign anyway.
    Before this, i don't recall my last cheating.

EDIT: toggle_fow : i use it just in order to see what The AI is doing.
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 09-07-2010 at 08:34.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jebivjetar View Post
    EDIT: process_cq : i use it just in order to see what The AI is doing.
    add_population "insert random roman city in italia" 50000
    process_cq "insert random roman city in italia"

wait 1 turn
    process_cq "insert random roman city in italia"

repeat until marian reform (EB March Of Time) happened

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Silly me, i typed process_cq instead of toggle_fow

Btw, Wolfy: what's the purpose of process_cqing Romaioi cities in order to gave them Marian reforms?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jebivjetar View Post
    Silly me, i typed process_cq instead of toggle_fow

Btw, Wolfy: what's the purpose of process_cqing Romaioi cities in order to gave them Marian reforms?
    so I can get the new bodyguard without manually changing the EDU... most often, I do this on the very last Romaioi city before I march and enslave them...

I use auto_win in navy battles when my fleet is not significantly weaker than the enemy, the logic is I would never lose such a battle if only given a chance to command it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus View Post
    I use auto_win in navy battles when my fleet is not significantly weaker than the enemy, the logic is I would never lose such a battle if only given a chance to command it.
    well, you could doing a naval battle in RTW derived engine.... some guys in this submod are doing this....
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1469

and you could must assume someone also try hard to dig out their secret....

I use the auto_win cheat if there is a crash to the disk after I win a tactical battle. I don't want to play it all over again, so I'll use the cheat as I won it already anyway.

I occasionally toggle the FoW to see how the factions are doing.

I never cheat, for it only shows you your own incompetence. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus View Post
    Well, after another thought, I find that from a RP point ot view I should not be able to command every battle anyway, as king, if I'm not present on the battle field myself, especially navy battles.
    So has anyone tried this RP approach: only mannually command battles when the king himself is in the army and auto_resove all the others?
    I mean, even if you're a tactical genius, you cannot determine the outcome of a battle if you're not there. I remember even Alexander had one of his lesser army destroyed by the nomads when he sent them to reinforce a besieged settlement.
    This must be quite interesting.

Member Member stratigos vasilios's Avatar

Sometimes I'll process_cq an AI factions city to give them a boost. Just to see how interesting it can become.
    We love you because you died and resurrected to save us...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    We love you Goku!

Once every blue moon.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Oh, and I use force diplomacy, but Diplomacy sucks in rome total war so I can't be blamed for it
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

I use add_money sometimes to give other factions money.

If I win a crushing victory against an enemy (wiping them out while suffering few losses), and I thereafter CTD ... I will use show_cursorstat and move_character to move the offending enemy army into some obscure territory, move one of my lowly units into the same province, use auto_win attacker to eliminate them, and then disband my unit.

And, of course, I use toggle_fow, but only once I have conquered a certain number of territories.
    Last edited by DaciaJC; 09-07-2010 at 22:34.
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I cheat in the following conditions:
    1. In naval battles. The auto-calculate mechanism is a shame for programming so I do my own and pre-decide the result according to the correspondent powers of the navies and the skills of the admirals.
    2. To transport agents. It's nonsensical having to have a navy to move a diplomat or spy so I walk them to a nearby port and beam them across.
    3. To get rid of nuisance rebels and navies (Not the scripted, powerful rebel armies representing unrepresented factions). The first type off to Eremos and the second to the Caspian.

ADDENDVM: FOW is toggled off in my preferences. This is not Starcraft for crying out loud!
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-09-2010 at 01:23. Reason: ADDENDVM
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

The Philosopher Duke Member Suraknar's Avatar

I raise the starting money to 5000000 mnai or denari for the faction I choose for a given campaign...and that is about it, no other advantages.

I never liked to be out of money in these games, because in reality money was not needed to build anything back then (with some exceptions), they forced people to work back then (slavery). And while today we do not Tolerate it, and I would not condone it either (being a humanist and all), it is still how things worked Historically and I like to play with the then rules rather than today's rules when I play a game set in the then era.

I still play carefully as to not have a negative balance most of the time, yet i can have cities constantly building something like that, I really hate the wait past a certain point, 6+ turns to build a single building in one city is a boring eternity for me.
    Last edited by Suraknar; 09-13-2010 at 04:16.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"
    Traveled to: Over 70 Countries, most recent: and

~ Ask not what modding can do for you, rather ask what you can do for modding ~
    ~ Everyone dies, not everyone really fights ~

Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    I raise the starting money to 5000000 mnai or denari for the faction I choose for a given campaign...and that is about it, no other advantages.

I never liked to be out of money in these games, because in reality money was not needed to build anything back then (with some exceptions), they forced people to work back then (slavery). And while today we do not Tolerate it, and I would not condone it either (being a humanist and all), it is still how things worked Historically and I like to play with the then rules rather than today's rules when I play a game set in the then era.

I still play carefully as to not have a negative balance most of the time, yet i can have cities constantly building something like that, I really hate the wait past a certain point, 6+ turns to build a single building in one city is a boring eternity for me.
    I'm glad you said 'not needed to build anything' instead of 'train anyone' because not all soldiers were slaves.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Great wealth was still needed to construct things. First there's the materials, which may well have been the most important thing. Slaves themselves were hardly free, needing to be purchased, fed and equipped with tools. And construction incidentally was one of the few areas where free labour was used far more than slaves, because of its seasonal nature. It was not good value for money to buy a whole bunch of slaves that then only can work in summer. Free poor men were cheaper, you could pay them and then send them on their way to fend for themselves.

And that Cicero quote about the nerves of war being infinite money wasn't there for nothing either.

I use auto_win if a CTD means I need to refight the same battle. Or if I get some random rebels pop up in my lands that i would own with a proper army. And lastly if I am assaulting a settlement with odds of 4-1 or more in my favour I auto_win. Ive found the AI can be funny about that sometimes - especially if there is a FM in the settlement. I have also occassionally used the move character cheat for agents and single characters stuck on islands etc. But never armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal View Post
    Great wealth was still needed to construct things. First there's the materials, which may well have been the most important thing. Slaves themselves were hardly free, needing to be purchased, fed and equipped with tools. And construction incidentally was one of the few areas where free labour was used far more than slaves, because of its seasonal nature. It was not good value for money to buy a whole bunch of slaves that then only can work in summer. Free poor men were cheaper, you could pay them and then send them on their way to fend for themselves.

And that Cicero quote about the nerves of war being infinite money wasn't there for nothing either.
    Oh I am not saying everything was free, some armies as you pointed out were professional, even in citizen armies the citizens had to afford their own gear, that much is clear, yet, building a stable could be a community affair, the king or emperor would not be sending funds for things like that in remote cities, building a palace and raising a personal army specially a professional one would indeed require much.

Food is the commodity people would pay for most of the time, grain to feed armies etc. That much is certain. It is why I just did not mod everything down to 0 cost (as well as the fact that the game would be unbalanced), but striving every turn to build one stable building or a blacksmith in one city amongst 20, I found that game breaking from this point of view. It makes no sense to me that you can have en empire with hundreds of thousands of citizens (and slaves) and not enough money to build a barracks...

The game has us assume the lead of Empires and Kingdoms yet the royal treasury is literally empty. I just do not think that this much micromanagement is fun under this premise, so I fill up the treasury and apply macroeconomics instead permitting me to focus on Diplomacy, and Warefare in a higher degree, which to me become more representative of the role that Kings and Emperors back then would fill. It makes for a more enjoyable game for me that way.

maybe there is a better way to balance the game, instead of having to do this, but I do not know where to change it, to raise for instance the amount of money coming from taxes per citizen until an economical equilibrium is reached necessary for the undertakings of the game.

The alternative would be to mod all costs down by a factor of 10 or more to reach that kind of macroeconomic equilibrium, and then the starting treasure would actually represent an Empires capital in a more realistic manner.

It is faster to raise one number thought rather than try to balance all costs.
    Last edited by Suraknar; 09-14-2010 at 07:33.
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I think the current system makes sense.

History shows that time and time again kings were desperately short of money. In the middle ages they had to borrow left and right and grant privileges to the cities to pay for their wars and building projects. In early modern times the kingdom of Spain went bankrupt... I don't know how many times, but a lot. In antiquity it happened that city-states or the Roman republic had to borrow money from the temples. In medieval times they borrowed from the church and monasteries.

It makes perfect sense to me that if you run a country and want a barracks constructed that it will take some months to raise the money, especially if your kingdom is a poor one. And if you're running a deficit because you have a large army and it's the start of the game... well, then you're obviously too preoccupied with trying to feed that huge army to be able to afford any grand new building projects.

If only we had a time machine we could confirm our views. Since we do not, we both have to enjoy the game our own way. It is why its a "cheats thread" after all. :)
    Duke Surak'nar
    "Η ΤΑΝ Η ΕΠΙ ΤΑΣ"

I use toggle_fow to see how the world is evolving. Before i do it however, i march my armies to exhaustion, and map out where they'll go next.
    If there's an enemy army, it's just too bad for me.

I use auto-win if i crash after winning a long exhausting battle, that i don't feel like doing over.

other than that, i occasionally transport AI characters/armies to somewhere else, if it's being ridicolous.

(in my hayasdan campaign, i was fighting the seleucids and Ptollies, sharing only borders with those 2, samartia and Pontos. Out of nowhere, a parthian army appears and besiege one of my cities. Now parthia is fighting for it's life vs the Seleucids, i got the place heavily defended, and an army nearby. Makes no sense, for them to start up a new front, with a nation they share no border with AND is helping them fighting the nation trying to exterminate them)

That's the AI for ya. It just went and attacked you.

OT, the only thing I have is FOW off all the time using the game files. Otherwise if I crash or run out of money I have to work at getting back on track the hard way. My RTW console doesn't work. The M2TW console on the other hand works perfectly, so go figure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast