Thread: Long Island Man Arrested for Defending His Home

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

Default Long Island Man Arrested for Defending His Home

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBS 2) — He was arrested for protecting his property and family.

But it’s how the Long Island man did it that police say crossed the line.

He got an AK-47 assault rifle, pulled the trigger and he ended up in jail, reports CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman.

George Grier said he had to use his rifle on Sunday night to stop what he thought was going to be an invasion of his Uniondale home by a gang he thought might have been the vicious “MS-13.” He said the whole deal happened as he was about to drive his cousin home.

“I went around and went into the house, ran upstairs and told my wife to call the police. I get the gun and I go outside and I come into the doorway and now, by this time, they are in the driveway, back here near the house. I tell them, you know, ‘Can you please leave?’ Grier said.

Grier said the five men dared him to use the gun; and that their shouts brought another larger group of gang members in front of his house.

“He starts threatening my family, my life. ‘Oh you’re dead. I’m gonna kill your family and your babies. You’re dead.’ So when he says that, 20 others guys come rushing around the corner. And so I fired four warning shots into the grass,” Grier said....Rest of Article
    I want to hear what his wife and cousin have to say about the incident as we are only going by his words on the actions of the gang. I'm not doubting him but it would be nice to have a clearer picture of the whole incident.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Default Re: Long Island Man Arrested for Defending His Home

The article provides almost no context and seems pretty biased - almost like the "Armed Citizen" section I love so much in the National Rifleman.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The important part is, no one was hurt.

Give the guy a caution or a slap on the wrist. No point making a big fuss over something when no one was hurt or affected by the incident. He is lucky the only thing damaged was his own lawn.

On the other-hand, if he shot some one, that's where we get into the serious talks.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He should be able to defend his home against the brainless matter we call gang members.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    The important part is, no one was hurt.

Give the guy a caution or a slap on the wrist. No point making a big fuss over something when no one was hurt or affected by the incident. He is lucky the only thing damaged was his own lawn.

On the other-hand, if he shot some one, that's where we get into the serious talks.
    The charge is that he was reckless, that it was only luck that he didn't hit anyone. I don't see why we would judge someone based only on the result.

It seems from the story like he wasn't reckless though.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

I agree with Sasaki, I don't see how it was reckless. It was more like bad aim.
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    The charge is that he was reckless, that it was only luck that he didn't hit anyone. I don't see why we would judge someone based only on the result.
    Yet we do that all the time. What is the difference between grievous bodily harm and homicide? It is pretty much "Person is severely injured" and "Person is dead".

It is based on the intention and result. He intended for them to leave him alone with their threatening behaviour, by shooting a bullet into the lawn. Since you are a society which has guns, and strict 'property rights', and the gun is legally owned, then there is really nothing 'wrong' being done, which would result in the maximum of a slapped wrist or a minor fine which could possibly be related to the act of firing a gun when it wasn't necessarily needed.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-09-2010 at 22:46.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Definitely need more details. Quite honestly, I'm of the opinion that as soon as somebody makes credible threats against my children they have forfeited their right to stay alive. I simply can't affor to take the risk of having them walking around anymore. I realize I might end up in jail for killing them, but that's a price I'd pay.
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Summary: A guy, with an AK, shoot at a group of intruders at a distance less than 10 metres and nobody was hurt…
    Wahoo, this guy should be deny to have a gun… Good it was in his home, because innocents could have been killed in a more populated area…
    Advice to his wife: get divorced… Your hunter/gatherer future-ex husband can’t protect you. At least not with weapons…
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Blog Entries

He never shot at them. He did a warning shot in the lawn which he did intentionally.

Congratulations on not reading the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
    Definitely need more details. Quite honestly, I'm of the opinion that as soon as somebody makes credible threats against my children they have forfeited their right to stay alive. I simply can't affor to take the risk of having them walking around anymore. I realize I might end up in jail for killing them, but that's a price I'd pay.
    Amen to this. I feel the same here, but if i could run 'em off without killing, i would strive for that result. But if that can't happen, then a man has little choice but to fight for himself and his own. I think the article shows a responsible man defending his family. I would do the same as he.

He isn't convicted.

When you shoot four 7.62 shots towards a group of people, the police should of course do their job and investigate it and see if a crime was committed or if it was within the law. If the police then decides that an arrest is necessary, then they have been given the right to arrest him.

Just how is any of this a problem?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

Congratulations on not reading the article?
    I did but decided to ignore what wouldn't fit in my comment.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

damned strong islanders, home of the lax bros.