Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going hunting for the first time this weekend

Dyslexic agnostic insomniac Senior Member Goofball's Avatar

Default Going hunting for the first time this weekend

Going out for bear with a good friend of mine who is a veteran hunter. I have lots of firearm experience (military), but this will be the first time I have shot an animal bigger than a small bird (pellet gun when I was a kid). I'm wondering what that first time will be like. Will I like it? Will I be horrified?

Any hunters out there want to offer any advice or share their own experiences?
    "What, have Canadians run out of guns to steal from other Canadians and now need to piss all over our glee?"

- TSM

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Going hunting for the first time this weekend

You could have a blast, you could hate it, or any reaction in-between. It's a bit like asking, "Will I like swimming?"

Main thing is how comfortable you are outdoors. I'm no veteran hunter, but I'm willing to venture my opinion anyway, that hunting is largely about being hot, being cold, being eaten up by insects and getting quite smelly over the course of two or three days. And if you play your cards right, you get to kill something. It's a lot like backpacking with boom-boom.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Dove? It's dove season down here.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

He said "bear," but I can see how you could easily mistake a bear for a dove. Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I even mistake chipmunks for wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    He said "bear," but I can see how you could easily mistake a bear for a dove. Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I even mistake chipmunks for wolves.
    Bro I'm dyslexic.

Now I'm going to kill myself because an adult said a hurtfull thing about my disability.

How is that weighing on your soul?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Does this mean you don't believe in dog?

Does this mean you don't believe in dog?
    I don't know what I believe in anymore.

Maybe if you gave me full mod control over the frontroom....

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

You know, there really isn't a need to kill something that happens to be one of the smartest land animals on the planet. Let us know how fun it is when you take this poor creatures life. Have fun, Big Man...
    RIP Tosa

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't listen to that bleeding heart liberal.

Did you like shooting birds? I'd expect your reaction to be similar when hunting something bigger.

I've never really been 'hunting' - more like taking the .22 and shooting small woodland critters - but it does seem like Lemur describes - a backpacking trip into the wild where you take a gun and shoot at an animal.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

congratulations you now have a pair of balls. welcome to my world of guns, hunting dogs, and death.

enjoy your stay

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Taking on an animal with guns doesn't make you a man; taking on one with a hunting knife would of course.

As a rule I'd have no problem in killing most herbivores as they're moronic, but omnivores and carnivores I find far more likable.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well, bears are a serious menace, so blowing one's head off occasionally is not a terrible thing; doing it gratuiously is not very cool though.

Just make it a clean kill.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Unhappy Re: Going hunting for the first time this weekend

meh such a waste, beautiful animals

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Isn't going from sero-hunting experience to stalking Bears a bit of a steep learning curve? That said, unless your millitary experience was logisitics or planning, I'm sure you've been trained in how to deal with ending the life of something sentient and quite human like.

Shooting one of those automatic shotguns might take some practice... :)

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

For bear, I would recommend also taking a spear or long bladed object or some sort. They don't always run
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

The pretty badass Indian way, intimidate to get it standing up, shaft -> ground, and wait for the attack.

Still think it's a waste, better to get close and shoot awesome pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    For bear, I would recommend also taking a spear or long bladed object or some sort. They don't always run
    My guide carried a 10 gauge Remington 870.

Bear hunting is an amazing experience. It's the closest you can get to hunting something that can hunt you back without having to step foot in Earth's toilet bowl (Africa).

Your enjoyment will depend on whether you subconsciously ascribe human characteristics to bears (Winnie to the Pooh, Yogi, etc. can do a number on one’s psyche).

I was most surprised by the smell. They reek, and you can usually smell them before you see them.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Real men hunt with their bare hands.

Even if they only go hunting after rabbits and rats in their garden...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Never understood hunting. Rather pathetic that man has to use guns and hide in the bushes like a coward to kill a larger creature. Here's what you should do; go up to the bear, look it in the eye, and invite it to throw down.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    meh such a waste, beautiful animals
    Bears are a menace. Breaking into your house and stealing your food. To say nothing of the pic-a-nic baskets.

Still don't get killed. As in North America "hunting" has a 1 in 5 chance of meaning take firearms and a 2-4 of beer into the forest. And only return with the firearms.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573 View Post
    Bears are a menace. Breaking into your house and stealing your food. To say nothing of the pic-a-nic baskets.
    Bears that lost their fear of humans should be shot, but why build your house or go picnic in bear-territory, Canada is huge more than enough room to do that somwhere else and leave the critters be. I also just don't get it, why go out to hurt something when you just don't have to, live and let live. Hunters are probably annoyed by that and I can understand the appeal of 'the hunt' as a sport and I know there is more to it than simply shooting animals, but it's a stupid sport if you ask me. And if someone is a poor marksman and just wounds it takes many agonising terrified hours before the poor thing is finally put out of it's misery. Not my idea of a good time.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Actually, to a Lemur, they might!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Bears that lost their fear of humans should be shot, but why build your house or go picnic in bear-territory, Canada is huge more than enough room to do that somwhere else and leave the critters be. I also just don't get it, why go out to hurt something when you just don't have to, live and let live. Hunters are probably annoyed by that and I can understand the appeal of 'the hunt' as a sport and I know there is more to it than simply shooting animals, but it's a stupid sport if you ask me. And if someone is a poor marksman and just wounds it takes many agonising terrified hours before the poor thing is finally put out of it's misery. Not my idea of a good time.
    If I'd only read your posts in this thread, I'd think you were a leftie... If you are feeling that way inclined, I know a good place where you can get your chakra's aligned.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    If I'd only read your posts in this thread, I'd think you were a leftie... If you are feeling that way inclined, I know a good place where you can get your chakra's aligned.
    Hitler loved animals.

BOOM, Godwin!

A right-wing guy that likes animals, how could I not do it?

And HoreTore delivers in the Koran burning thread.

My work here is done...

do I really need to point out that Hitler was a

a whatever bears are cool

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Bear hunting is an amazing experience. It's the closest you can get to hunting something that can hunt you back without having to step foot in Earth's toilet bowl (Africa).
    Wildebeest hunting is an amazing experience. It's the closest you can get to the ancestral roots of hunting something the way our predecessors would have had in the open expanses of the bushveldt without having to step into Earth's tool-shed (America).
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Spam factor increasing. Continued spam efforts will result in closure and the offenders will sacrifice one balloon.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

When speaking of mega-fauna such as a bear, Canada isn't that big. And 75% of the countries habitable landmass is bear country.
    As illustrated by this map of American black bear territory. And out in the forests Goofball's going to visit you have Grizzly bears too.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...k_bear_map.png
    So really any which wear you plant your flag and build a home is bear country here. There is a town in Manitoba called Churchill that lies right on polar bears (aka a small car with claws and teeth and a less than sunny disposition) annual migration routes. They will literally walk right up the streets every fall.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast