Thread: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Default Amnesia: The Dark Descent

It's rare for me that games feel scary, that's why i'm kicking myself for not having the money for Amnesia, the latest from Frictional Games the developers of Penumbra. Has anyone had a chance to play this one yet? It looks incredibly disturbing just from the trailer, which I'll link below.

There's a demo available but I make a habit of never playing the demo for horror games, since i feel something might be spoiled or ruined for me. Even if it's a small spoiler, i'll always regret that moment where something was supposed to scare me but it didn't.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent

It looks awesome in every single way, but I'm too much of a chicken to play this game.

I find Eternal Darkness and Stalker terrifying, and this looks approximately 10 times scarier. I'll pass but gladly read anything the Orgah have to say about this game.

Never played any of their games before, but this looks absolutely fantastic. Like Meneldil I may not have the constitution to play it myself. I struggled to get through Call of Cthulhu with dry pants and found Stalker pretty creepy at several points, both being decidedly mild compared to the trailer alone. Yet I'm sorely tempted. What's the point of a horror game if you aren't horrified, after all?
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

If you have any trust in the reviews on Gamespot, then according to them this is one of the best horror games out there.....not my cup of tea really.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

I played The Penumbra series which was very enjoyable, and I was following this title for some time but I forgot about it until about 4 or 5 days ago. Though, I am definitely going to try this out.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

The Penumbra games proved that the raw talent of indie developers can outshine big budget productions. Very atmospheric games that reward thinking out of the box, obvious fans of the lookinglass/irrational games. They are really worth your time, especially because of the very modest price. Will be getting this one for sure it sounds great.

Very spooky game. My buddy and I were playing through the same parts over vent and just hearing him scream every once in a while was bad, but when i met up with what he screamed at I even jumped while trying to run away.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

That's it. I'm gonna buy the whole serie on Steam and play it until I can't sleep anymore at night. The trailer is enough to scare me to death, but I want to play this game.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

This isn't part of the Penumbra series, you should try them though excellent games. If it makes you feel better, STALKER and Eternal Darkness freaked me out as well. But so did Halo, I get scared pretty fast. Which is good

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Ok. This game is amazing, dare I say better than Penumbra. The ambiance and level designs are downright scary. Similar concept to Penumbra, but one major difference, the "Sanity" stat. The longer you spend in the darkness and the more weird stuff you observe/hear the more your sanity drains, which results in distorted vision and hallucinations, until you finally go completely insane. You do not want to run out of oil for your lantern.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

If I got scared fighting husks in the ME series, then its safe to say im going nowhere NEAR this game.
    I hate scary games...
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 09-19-2010 at 08:04.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I've had the game for a little around four hours, played it off and on in that time and i've got enough information to make a few statements on it. From my understanding, i've reached the level that the demo allows you to play through. I wanna be very careful with my words because I don't want to say anything that will spoil something, not only with the plot but with the overall atmosphere. So here goes.

I'm big on atmospheric games, and those that go out of their way to make you feel like you're in the world you're percieving. It's a rare thing that games achieve total immersion, but allow me to say Amnesia is probably as close as you can possibly get. From the moment the game begins, you're struggling to get a grip with the sights and sounds of a strange environment, grasping at clues, and watching your character desperately cling to his sanity.

It's.. a strange journey to be sure, and the overall atmosphere is incredible. It's a game based solely on inspiring paranoia in you, as the player, and trust me it does it well. I've never jumped at shadows before in a game, and I've never caught myself looking over my shoulder every time I walk through a doorway convinced something is following.

I wish I could talk more in-depth about the plot and the tactics the game uses to achieve this immersion, but I don't want to spoil it. I'll probably make a spoilerific post once I've finished this game for people who want to discuss the guts of the game. The one point I do want to discuss, however, is the total lack of weaponry. A lot of horror or survival horror games give you a weapon and an objective. "Find out what's going on and defend yourself." Amnesia takes a different route, it gives you a lamp and tells "Find out what's going on, and stay alive." Even if that gun or hammer or crowbar (or what have you) is useless, there is a placebo safety effect that takes hold of me as a player. I have a gun, I can shoot stuff, I can be defiant, and maybe I can take a few of them with me.

Nope, not in Amnesia. I've got a lantern, I'm vulnerable, I may be going insane... And I love it.

That is exactly my feeling Monk. Main reason why I only posted so little. There were points in the game where i found my self cowering in a corner hoping to god that im not found out. Only to get up when i think all is safe and realize that my bane had only been waiting for me to come out of hiding.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Game purchased. Drivers updated.

An ornamental suit of armour sent me scurrying to hide in a wardrobe minutes into play. This may take some time.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar View Post
    Game purchased. Drivers updated.

An ornamental suit of armour sent me scurrying to hide in a wardrobe minutes into play. This may take some time.
    Haha. I did exactly the same thing.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts