Thread: help please about mods.

Question help please about mods.

hello
    i am sorry to post here.but it seems to me that MTW modification forum is no longuer alive.
    i have only one question. there's no way to install multiple mods in way that they work for one total war derictory ?i have used generic mod enabler but it's not working perfectly for medieval total war. and thank you in advence.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: help please about mods.

Welcome to the .Org, Aminos20!

For the original MTW, I'm pretty sure you need copies for each mod you want to run. Fortunately, it's an easy thing to do, you don't have to muck with registry entries or anything like that. Just a fresh, patched MTW/VI install. I keep a "spare" fresh copy for this purpose, it's only 1.9 Gbytes. My directory structure looks something like this:

Code:
    D:\games\Total War\
        Medieval - Total War
        Samurai Warlords
        Medieval - Total War - Copy
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Unhappy Re: help please about mods.

are you sure there's no other way. because i play medieval total war in a pc with 80 go only

To my limited knowledge, no. I believe there are a few files that the game is hardcoded to use, changing these for a mod would mean you would have to have a script that copies these files around based on mod requirements. projectile_stats.txt is one file that comes to mind, and it's a fairly common file to mod (describes the capabilities of missile weapons in the game).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Exclamation Re: help please about mods.

And wath about generic mod enabler .it work .but not perfectly. even if it replace all fils wye?

Hello Aminos20,

Unfortunately the only way to install MTW vanilla and mods - or multiple mods is to copy the entire game directory every time and then install the mod to that.

If you try to do this any other way you will end up with a nonfunctional install.

thank you gfor the help. but i have one more question :is this the same for rome total war med 2 tw empire tw and napoleon tw?

Sorry, that one I can't help you with. I played Rome once through and lost interest, and didn't get M2TW, ETW, or NTW. Fortunately, those modding forums are more active, and you should be able to get a quick answer on those. I think the later ones might have tools for it, but I'm not sure.

I believe RTW and M2TW allow so called "mod folder" installs, where you can still play the original game with a mod installed without having to install a second copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    I believe RTW and M2TW allow so called "mod folder" installs, where you can still play the original game with a mod installed without having to install a second copy.
    Indeed. I currently have MTW2 Retrofit and Third Age both running from the same installation.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    I played Rome once through and lost interest, and didn't get M2TW, ETW, or NTW.
    That's exactly what I did - once burned by Rome's godawful gameplay, I chose to not try any of the others. Don't think I missed out on much.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer57 View Post
    That's exactly what I did - once burned by Rome's godawful gameplay, I chose to not try any of the others. Don't think I missed out on much.
    I think I played M2TW once or twice for about a total of 20 minutes, I spent most of the time installing the two gargantuan patches.

I liked the battles of RTW and M2TW. When the TW series switched to a 3d map, the Strategic AI became terrible and it gets worse with each new game. Mods for RTW and M2TW compensate for the lack of strategic AI by giving it unlimited funds. It can be fun to battle massive enemy troop stacks, but you get worn out after a while. For ETW, there is no strategic AI at all, and the battles are more tedious than fun.

I am here today after giving up on ETW. I am convinced that the AI in TW Games simply does not know what to do or how to behave on a 3d map. In order to find a challenge or a good AI, I have to look back to games that are 5 to 10 years old and hope that they run on my computer.