Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: America-2 Dirty Communists-0

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default Re: America-2 Dirty Communists-0

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Correct that would be ronald reagan
    Reagan won it for the rich Americans. The American poor are as destitute as many in the third world.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Reagan won it for the rich Americans. The American poor are as destitute as many in the third world.
    Stuff and piffle. The number of truly destitute Americans who suffer ANYTHING like the deprivations imposed by poverty on the underclasses in developing nations is so small as to be functionally irrelevant. We have too many in poverty -- at least relative poverty -- but you shouldn't demean the suffering of the truly poor by such a comparison. The poor in the USA are fairly likely to have a TV, electronic games, clean water and food enough (albeit poorer quality) to end up overweight in many cases -- it just doesn't compare.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Stuff and piffle. The number of truly destitute Americans who suffer ANYTHING like the deprivations imposed by poverty on the underclasses in developing nations is so small as to be functionally irrelevant. We have too many in poverty -- at least relative poverty -- but you shouldn't demean the suffering of the truly poor by such a comparison. The poor in the USA are fairly likely to have a TV, electronic games, clean water and food enough (albeit poorer quality) to end up overweight in many cases -- it just doesn't compare.
    Once upon a time there was a small village where everyone was happy all the time. The secret to their happiness? They kept a small child in a closet and beat him daily. Thus, no one was everunhappy becuase no one ever had it worse than that child.

Now do you see why your line of reasoning is flawed?

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jabarto View Post
    Once upon a time there was a small village where everyone was happy all the time. The secret to their happiness? They kept a small child in a closet and beat him daily. Thus, no one was everunhappy becuase no one ever had it worse than that child.

Now do you see why your line of reasoning is flawed?
    No.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In short: Subjective versus Objective.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    In short: Subjective versus Objective.
    I do recall those terms. Came up in English class a time or two....

No.
    The point is we shouldn't ignore the suffering of millions just because someone somewhere else has it worse.

Oh, and since I forgot to address it in my last post, having a TV or an mp3 player or whatever small consumer good you can come up with doesn't mean you're not poor. I know the poor in America aren't aren't as unfortunate as a Darfur war orphan but just because they can afford to spend a fraction of a percent of their income on luxury goods doesn't mean they're on cloud nine, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Well that's typical:

(c) Reagan he's so awesome!
    (a) Nah, he's just another mediocre president the likes of which we've seen about 40 of.
    (c) How dare you suggest Reagan was anything but awesome!
    I wouldn't say Reagan was mediocre, I would say he was below average. No the worst, seeing as how a lot of presidents in the 1800s really messed up, but he wasn't good at all.

cmon guys, this is the org.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Clowns never danced before, beansprouts never grew, ponies never pranced before, until I met you. I like the .org, it's always so civil!
    Silence is beautiful

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    HA. That is completely incorrect in every way.

Even migrant workers in Washington state, some of the poorest people, go to food banks by driving their own cars. How many destitute people in the third world own functioning American cars in decent shape?

Heck, how many middle class Soviet citizens owned cars?

The point is we shouldn't ignore the suffering of millions just because someone somewhere else has it worse.

Oh, and since I forgot to address it in my last post, having a TV or an mp3 player or whatever small consumer good you can come up with doesn't mean you're not poor. I know the poor in America aren't aren't as unfortunate as a Darfur war orphan but just because they can afford to spend a fraction of a percent of their income on luxury goods doesn't mean they're on cloud nine, either.
    You're comparing being trapped in a box every day and beaten to owning things that didn't exist a dozen years ago? Seamus said nothing of the relatively poor being on cloud nine - he said, quite correctly, that their situation does not compare to the destitute of the third world.

ACIN, that has got to be one of the most useless lists in existence.

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 09-16-2010 at 01:50. Reason: To have a kinder, gentler machine gun hand.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    cmon guys, this is the org.
    The only person who crossed the line here was Cent removed by moderator
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 09-16-2010 at 05:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    ACIN, that has got to be one of the most useless lists in existence.
    Why?

I think it does a good enough job of summing up reasons why Raegan wasn't awesome. You don't have to agree but you got to admit it contains a fair few good points (tm).
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Whatever made you think I was advocating ignoring poverty in America? I said that most poor in America have it a lot better than those facing crushing poverty on the fringes of Sao Paolo etc. I may have vastly different ideas about HOW poverty should be reduced, but none would deny that doing so is a worthy goal. Nor do I have a problem with starting in the USA first -- charity begins at home.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

wow and it was all meant to be a joke.......... im sorry i forgot the title of this thread begs for intelligent discourse

I think it does a good enough job of summing up reasons why Raegan wasn't awesome. You don't have to agree but you got to admit it contains a fair few good points (tm).
    He was far from awesome. War on Drugs (FAIL)
    Massive Spending (FAIL)
    Claiming he was the sole reason the USSR FAILED (BIG FAIL)
    Supply Side Economics (FAIL)
    Funding Death Groups in Latin America (FAIL)
    Pulling out after terrorists murdered our soliders in Lebanon (Fail)

I wasn't even born when Reagan was president, and I that's just a short list off the top of my head. I think you get the jist.

Edit: My bad. He president for about 5 more mths.
    Last edited by Ice; 09-16-2010 at 05:54.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Whatever made you think I was advocating ignoring poverty in America? I said that most poor in America have it a lot better than those facing crushing poverty on the fringes of Sao Paolo etc.
    That is not really a justification for a first-world country, now is it?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't get so jumpy yet, you filthy capitalist: Kanada's still in da game!

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    wow and it was all meant to be a joke.......... im sorry i forgot the title of this thread begs for intelligent discourse
    Oh, sorry. Didn't realize it was a joke.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Or use his name in vain
    amen

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    That is not really a justification for a first-world country, now is it?
    Okay then. Let's be blunt. I don't believe I have to justify a darn thing. We're better off and anyone who thinks we aren't is missing the boat.

I do not believe that equality of outcome is ever possible in a healthy economic system. Nothing works better than the marketplace, but the marketplace reflects the values of those people who comprise it -- and they do not value all contributions equally. There will always be people therefore -- some by happenstance, some by circumstance, and some by their own actions/choices -- who do not receive/benefit as much as others. To benefit the most people to the greatest extent, the goal is and must be to grow the entirety of the economy and enhance wealth. This drags up the lowest in society too. Do they benefit as much as the economic winners? Or course not. But they do benefit.

THAT has been the story of the USA. We work hard, got lucky, and had fewer idiot stumbling blocks put in the way of people's success. So right now, today, you can live a life in the USA as a poor person that is better than the life of a poor person virtually anywhere else. Poverty is NOT relative when you are living it. You either have enough to eat or you don't. You have drinkable water or you don't. You have a roof over your head or you don't. You have affordable entertainment that engages you or you don't. You have access to learning or you don't. By all of these standards, the poor in the USA are better off.

Doesn't mean I don't want to see things get even better. Doesn't mean I don't do charity effort to help out. But "poverty" in in the USA is $5500 per person per year with no taxes and a bunch of publicly funded services. It just isn't the same thing.

This drags up the lowest in society too. Do they benefit as much as the economic winners? Or course not. But they do benefit.
    Oh, come on. A rising tide doesn't lift the people who don't have any boats to begin with, now does it?

THAT has been the story of the USA. We work hard, got lucky, and had fewer idiot stumbling blocks put in the way of people's success. So right now, today, you can live a life in the USA as a poor person that is better than the life of a poor person virtually anywhere else. Poverty is NOT relative when you are living it. You either have enough to eat or you don't. You have drinkable water or you don't. You have a roof over your head or you don't. You have affordable entertainment that engages you or you don't. You have access to learning or you don't. By all of these standards, the poor in the USA are better off.
    Um, no. As long as you can be left in the street to die of easily treatable diseases here, I can think of entire continents that have it better than us. Social mobility is dead in the water and hard work had nothing to do with the US rise to prominence (such as it is). We're at the top of the heap because our competitors were eroded to dust by WW2. That's it.

Doesn't mean I don't want to see things get even better. Doesn't mean I don't do charity effort to help out. But "poverty" in in the USA is $5500 per person per year with no taxes and a bunch of publicly funded services. It just isn't the same thing.
    Well, this is what I was getting at earlier. Your position, if this is true, is a highly unusual one, because most people who claim that the poor in America have it better off do so to try and distract people from actually improving their lot. If you're just saying it for it's own sake, well...you're not exactly wrong, but it really raises some red flags about your intentions. I'll grant that I may have misjudged you, however.

Oh, come on. A rising tide doesn't lift the people who don't have any boats to begin with, now does it?
    On a macro level it does. Since the 1820s, the USA has been steadily improving in per capita GDP at a rate better than most of the rest of the world. Nor was it WW2 that "sealed the deal," since we'd passed the UK prior to WW1. By no means have we eradicated poverty, nor will we, but the "rising tide" has established a higher standard for virtually all US residents.

You'd make a better argument if you decried Reaganomics for enhancing the disparity between the top 15 and bottom 15 percent of the population, pointing to the potential for socio-cultural destabilization.

Quote Originally Posted by jabarto
    Um, no. As long as you can be left in the street to die of easily treatable diseases here, I can think of entire continents that have it better than us. Social mobility is dead in the water and hard work had nothing to do with the US rise to prominence (such as it is). We're at the top of the heap because our competitors were eroded to dust by WW2. That's it.
    As noted above, the USA had passed by the rest of the world economically by the very early 20th -- even given the economic strength of the Empire upon which "the sun never set." Yes, we took a big bounce upward in the 1950s for the reasons you note, but the trend predates this event.

Social mobility was never as easy as the Horatio Alger stories made it out to be. The very existence of the Knights of Columbus and other "immigrant" organizations underscores this. Yet the USA was never and is not now as calcified as many societies have been in the past. My wife is one of two children of Italian immigrants. Neither of her parents had an 8th grade education and Dad was a cobbler/corviser while Mom raised the children. Their son is a neurosurgeon (formerly at Johns Hopkins) and MBA and their daughter is a Corporate Director with two Masters and a soon to be Ph.D. Either of them makes more in one year than their parents ever earned in any 3 years. Easy? Of course not -- but such stories are not rare, maybe not even uncommon.

And the disease thing is just hyperbole. Any person can walk into an emergency room and be treated. If you set your standard at 100% coverage of all persons at all times, then ALL societies are failures. The health care debate is too long to go into here, but I will remind you that the number of persons receiving no care is small and a portion of those not receiving care are choosing not to avail themselves of services which are -- however cumbersomely administered at times -- available.

Quote Originally Posted by jabarto
    Well, this is what I was getting at earlier. Your position, if this is true, is a highly unusual one, because most people who claim that the poor in America have it better off do so to try and distract people from actually improving their lot. If you're just saying it for it's own sake, well...you're not exactly wrong, but it really raises some red flags about your intentions. I'll grant that I may have misjudged you, however.
    I don't think my position is unusual at all. People in the USA are among the most charitable - by amount and by percentage of wealth donated -- around. Nor do I think most of us -- at least outside of government -- ever try to put obstacles in somebody else's way. Most of us are just trying to improve things for ourselves and for our families, and helping out a bit with those in need when we can. There are selfish folk who do little to help others, there are people who are so busy/distracted that they don't notice those in need -- which is sad. All-in-all, however, I think most folks aren't trying to harm those around them at all -- my success does not have to come at someone else's expense.

@Seamus you story about faster growth of GDP per capita might've been valid up to about the 80's. However there are a few point you don't consider.

GDP per capita is now no longer the measure by which the USA leads the world or not. On the Human development indices, at least, the USA is good but not the absolute top by a clear measure and a major part of that is though as little as the USA likes to acknowledge it, the states have a far more serious poverty problem on their hands than much of Western Europe... There is far more income inequality in the USA than there is in Europe which is how GDP per capita is skewed in favour of a high average.

Also the USA have the 6th highest (not the highest) GDP per capita which, incidentally stands at $47K rounded upwards according to wikipedia. Now, here's the question: does it translate to approximately every working citizen making a multiple of $47K so that he/she might support the family and it evens out as the $47K per capita? Or does it translate in a few Larry Ellissons' making ~$1bn a year and the rest making a correspondingly lower amount? A few $1bn a year incomes do a lot to skew something which averages out at a mere $47K...

EDIT: Incidentally the Mr. Ellisons covers for a few % of the *entire* USA. If you took his salary of ~$1bn worth of salary and stock, spread it out in chunks of $47K you would cover for a small town in USA terms (21277 people according to my calculator).
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 09-21-2010 at 15:18.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

This is nothing new. Cuba's leadership realized the system was unsustainable shortly after the USSR collapsed and has been privatizing throughout the '90s and the last decade, especially in the tourism industry.

Quote Originally Posted by ACIN
    Why?
    Besides the contextually dishonest distortions, outright lies, and baseless ad hominems? My favs...

'Horrible excuse for a human being in general.' I guess the maker of the graphic had some empty space to fill.

'Laid wreath and made speech at SS cemetery.' An SS cemetery? How awful of him! Except that Kolmeshohe Cemetery is not at all an 'SS Cemetery'. Here's the real story.

Mr. Reagan, in his address, said: ''I have just come from the cemetery where German war dead lay at rest. No one could visit here without deep and conflicting emotions.''

He added: ''The evil world of Nazism turned all values upside down. Nevertheless, we can mourn the German war dead today as human beings, crushed by a vicious ideology.''

So your graphic not only completely fabricated the nature of the cemetery, but took a rather forward thinking and nuanced position by Reagan, that was both intellectually honest and politically brave, and spun it as something bad. If I didn't happen to know of that particular event, I would think 'Gee, what a horrible excuse for a human being!'

Tell me you posted that mess for shock value and that you don't really take all of it at face value.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 09-21-2010 at 07:13.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Tell me you posted that mess for shock value and that you don't really take all of it at face value.
    I didn't post it for shock value but I didn't take all of it at face value. There are still multiple points on the image that are valid, some like the SS cemetery are ridiculous but even if you researched all the points you would have to concede that Reagan is nowhere near the territory of a "terrific" or even a "good" president. He was mediocre at best, below average in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Also the USA have the 6th highest (not the highest) GDP per capita which, incidentally stands at $47K rounded upwards according to wikipedia. Now, here's the question: does it translate to approximately every working citizen making a multiple of $47K so that he/she might support the family and it evens out as the $47K per capita? Or does it translate in a few Larry Ellissons' making ~$1bn a year and the rest making a correspondingly lower amount? A few $1bn a year incomes do a lot to skew something which averages out at a mere $47K...
    Imagine what the United States might look like if they all had 47k per capita each. The things I would give to be able to dream of such dreams, and the power once I found the right dream of the future, to enact it.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Imagine what the United States might look like if they all had 47k per capita each. The things I would give to be able to dream of such dreams, and the power once I found the right dream of the future, to enact it.
    You would find very little support for such a dream in the U.S.A. The French and Russian revolutions are held to be fine examples of how enforcing equality of outcomes is exactly as productive as plowing the sea.

I think 95% of Americans believe in equality of opportunity, with rubber safety bumpers for the unlucky, unfortunate or incapable. Even the rather hysterical conversation we're having as a nation right now is over the contours of that idea, not its essence. Republicans don't actually want the poor to die of treatable diseases in the streets. Democrats don't actually want to enact socialism. That's all hype and posturing.

Most of us agree on the fundamentals.
    Last edited by Lemur; 09-21-2010 at 23:17.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    You would find very little support for such a dream in the U.S.A. The French and Russian revolutions are held to be fine examples of how enforcing equality of outcomes is exactly as productive as plowing the sea.

I think 95% of Americans believe in equality of opportunity, with rubber safety bumpers for the unlucky, unfortunate or incapable. Even the rather hysterical conversation we're having as a nation right now is over the contours of that idea, not its essence. Republicans don't actually want the poor to die of treatable diseases in the streets. Democrats don't actually want to enact socialism. That's all hype and posturing.

Most of us agree on the fundamentals.
    I wasn't saying about forcing equality of outcomes, it was merely seeing what the world be like if that was the case, that people earned around the same amount. (higher and lower based on type of work, hours spent, and other such things)

I do think earning more than 500,000 per year is definitely a overkill of a salary and I don't think anyone actually deserves to earn that much.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-21-2010 at 23:29.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast