Thread: Questions on Napoleon multiplayer from shogun/MTW vet

Default Questions on Napoleon multiplayer from shogun/MTW vet

Hey guys,

I played shogun religiously since the start and the original medieval as well as well but kind of lost interest in competitive TW when Rome: Totalwar came around - it just didn't feel right and I didn't like the route they'd gone down with it.

But, that was many a year ago. I have a new PC and am considering returning to totalwar, but I'd like to know the state of the multiplayer:

1. How active is it? Comparable to shogun/MTW days

2. Doing creative still suck at netcoding/bugs etc? Or are the later games better polished?

3. Are there shogun/MTW vets who still play the newer games like napolean? If so what do you think of it compared to the old games in terms of playability, rock/paper/scissors gameplay etc.

4. Is it worth me buying? Considering I don't play single player, I'm looking for a competitive RTS to get into.

Thanks for any and all input!

Default Re: Questions on Napoleon multiplayer from shogun/MTW vet

1. Active enough although players are split across empire and ntw its active enough with 180 player 1v1 tournies etc.
    2. Yes it has to be said they still suck at this, its the buggiest game for setups and lag ive played since well forever. Example a player joins your game sometimes and the screen just freezes for 10 seconds and you cant even type in the game chat (i have an i7 btw) and 8mbit broadband.
    3. Yes theres still some golden oldies around, alot have come back in anticipation for stw2. In terms of how good it is id say its the 3rd best totalwar game online, 1st shogun 2nd mtw1 3rd napoleon. The others dont even deserve a mention.
    4. There are new features you may not be aware of like the multiplayer campaign 1v1 only*, so its really nice thats added but some MAJOR things are missing including the complete lack of a chat lobby, if you dont know anyone in the game currently its going to be a very lonely experience till you get your steam friends list filled out. You basically cant chat with anyone anywhere except in a game.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swoosh So View Post
    You basically cant chat with anyone anywhere except in a game.
    You can if you set up a 'Room'. The only problem is people can/will join this room at random, some will talk, some will leave.

As Swoosh says, it can be a very lonely place to wait for or to join a game with friends or even with people you do not know.
    Once you have set up a Friends list of players you know, you will then be able to see when they are logged on to the game.

If you are able to Host you can take pot-luck with who joins your games.
    Last edited by Jochi Khan; 09-16-2010 at 17:32.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Hey thanks for the replies so far. I remember you swoosh I used to get pretty owned by you in shogun I think hehe. I was 'RTKLamorak' back in the day.

I really don't like the sound of the bug/lag issues, and no chat rooms is a bit of a joke. I hate it when a game is clouded by glitches especially lag it really ruins the fun for me. God I remember the shogun days where a 3v3 would go down to 0.5 frames per second for no reason and the game took about 2 hours . I can't believe creative just haven't learned how to make a solid multiplayer aspect yet. I read the 'lack of map' threads as well, there used to be so many maps for the old TW's... I don't like maps with obstacles at all always was one for the steppes or mild hills - how many of these type maps are there to play on?

I wouldn't play MP campaign and if the battle aspect isn't polished I know it will just drive me mad. And the lack of chat is just plain retarded! I am helped somewhat by the fact you rated it 3rd best TW for multiplayer though....

Another question: Are creative still patching the game or have they given up on it?

And finally, is napolean an expansion (do I need Empire) or is it standalone?

It is only £13 on amazon so I might just get it and give it a try, I'm really looking for a game to get fully into though I've been playing Company Of Heroes for the last 3 years and need a change. Starcraft 2 looks like another option but I always preferred real war/humans, never felt the alien/fantasy thing really.

Decisions decisions....

Its a standalone game and im guessing there will be no more patches now since they are busy working on shogun2, If you can wait your probably best waiting on shogun2 as im sure your interest wont be kept long in ntw since you dont fancy mp campaigns and theres a real lack of maps thers 1 map without movement bugs and its grassy flatland galcian ria is a decent map although it has its problems too. They just have too many maps with buildings on or terrain you cant pass which really suck for MP. As a side note RTK are still around so you may want to have a look around and see if any of your old friends still play. If you cant find regular friends to play with tho id steer clear of ntw theres no community aspect to it at all and no way like i say to chat outside game. The making of rooms for chat is useless without a main foyer and noone uses it.

To sum it up i guess it will keep you entertained for a few weeks then boredom will start to creep in unless you somehow join with your old clan and play compeditive tournament games - that may keep you playing past the 2-3 week mark.
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-16-2010 at 18:43.

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Sorry for delayed reply. Thanks for the honest evaluation Swoosh, I might just pick it up for a single camaign play through - it's not much money and it will be nice to see it on my shiny new rig! But yea, multiplayer sounds like a real let down all round.

BUT, I read this on PCGamer about Shogun2:

Simpson told PC Gamer last year that each Total War would re-write a single area of the game from scratch. What will be re-written for Shogun 2?

“It’s multiplayer, is where we’re taking the game and doing something very different,” says Mike. “Multiplayer has always been a bit lower down the priority list for Total War. We did the multiplayer campaign, but there’s a lot more scope for doing interesting things.”

“I guess our aim is to get to a point where the majority of people who buy the game routinely play multiplayer.” Laughing, he adds, “I really, really want to talk about this a lot but I’m not being allowed to.”
    Hooorrraaaay!! Guess Shogun2 is where I shall make my totalwar multiplayer return!!! :)

well if your going to play single player may as well do some multiplayer :) its actually quite good just lacks maps and communicatiion add swooshso and amps on steam and we will get you started on filling out your friends list. once you start to meet peeps from previous totalwars and get some team games going with nice battle lines the gam starts to feel alot better than those 1v1s u start with.
    Pros: good game engine feels almost close to mtw1 in multiplayer which makes it the 3rd best totalwar mp yet. good mp campaign and nice feeling to battles.
    cons: droppers the game just goes back to the hosting screen instantly when doing ranked battles no message or nothing, maps very limited in scope and most unsuited to multiplay, no foyer omg! bugs when moving units unresolved (this goes from bugs getting a unit to run to bugs like only 2 arty showing up from ur unit for battle in some games then in some games 3 showing up).
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 09-28-2010 at 08:00.

Buddha

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

You can add me too if you want to ^Glyndwr^ is my Steam name. There, you have three friends names already.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Well I just bought it (£13 delivered, not bad!!), yea guess is no reason not to at least have a bit of fun with multiplayer and appreciate the steam id's. Should be here before the week is out will prob play some sp over weekend to feel it out then get online next week and get some games with you guys. Looking forward to it!!! :)

Well, have lots of fun then :)

Travelling Knight Content Manager Nigel's Avatar

I would recommend building up your friends list through Steam.
    For me, most of the communication and chat goes via Steam (due to lack of chat lobby in the actual game) but that seems to work pretty well. You can see who of your friends is online and can invite them to chat or to a game. You can also create groups on Steam, like for example Jochi's Nomad Alliance, which helps getting a community organized.