Thread: What the &*$%& is up with all the Pirate crap?!

Default What the &*$%& is up with all the Pirate crap?!

Seriously, Inter Talk Like A Pirate day, people with pirate bumper stickers, the never ending pirate vs ninja debate, etc. Since when were pirates considered role models? Since when were pirates great warriors?! A pirate could mean so many different things that it almost has no meaning. A pirate could be anything from a clueless sea hand who knows not the first thing about combat to a skilled warrior. Even in the case of a skilled warrior with military training, being a pirate makes him no better than any navy vet.
    Pirates existed from almost the beginning of human history till the present, and the technology, dress, tactics, etc of them were so widely different! Pirates existed everywhere from China to Spain, and everywhere in between! How can there be ONE pirate accent?! Do you really think that a Chinese pirate would sound anything like a Spanish pirate? Or a French pirate like a British pirate? What about a Turkish pirate?
    People's image of pirates is so Anglo-central that they do not even think about their stupidity! Pirates, no matter which time or place they came from were usually a bunch of cowardly, poorly disciplined dirtbags who preyed on civilian and merchant vessels, and would get their butt kicked by a disciplined military vessel. Why would anyone want to be like that? That would be like making a burglar cult, and portraying them as great warriors!

I am sick to DEATH of all the pirate crap! It is just a constant reminder of how brain-dead modern people are.
    (present company excluded of course)
    Last edited by Vuk; 09-19-2010 at 19:03.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Default Re: What the &*$%& is up with all the Pirate crap?!

Shiver me timbers, Vuk...
    This space intentionally left blank.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Batten down yer hatch, matey.

I'll raise me rum in yer honour, Lemurrr!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Avast, thar be a foolish landlubber! Ye scurvy bilge rat! Arrr, what right does a landlubber like ye have to speak ill of pirates?

Hold ye tongue, says I! How can any honest man be sayin' that a pirate be cowardly?

What madness that be! No man who sails upon the ocean, oft upon a vessel where the timber's be creakin' as the wind and waves try to tear her apart, to board ships by jumping over the side and fighting to the death, who must needs be savvy enough to elude the great ships o' the line, can be a coward!

Let me tell ye what a true coward be; a man who does not but attack the deeds of others! To squat in a house and risk not ye life, that be the coward's mark! Arrr, methinks there needs be a keelhaulin', me mateys.

Tis only the pirates who live truly free, as all me hearties know. If life be a ship, they be not hidin' in the cargo hold like dumb animals, but ridin' the bowsprit in life! We be acceptin' not ye precious laws based on the whims of some incestuous king! As a pirate, every man has a voice and the right to speak! We do as we please, and let no sea dog stop us, as we'll send them to Davy Jones' locker!

Ye speak falsely, ye landlubber, of things ye know nothing about. So take ye rum, if ye can stomach it, and ye wench, if any would have ye, and leave here. Go back to ye shack and struggle under the dictates of ye kings, and accept every injustice laid upon ye without a fight, and bother not such brave and free men as me hearties again!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

'Tis nobbutt a trend me scurvy shipmates. Let 'em swing from the yardarm, the fancy landlubbers they are mateys.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

The Vikings did everything the pirates did, but the Vikings did it twice as well and were so badass that they had their own unique label. Suck it pirates.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arr, this be one o' the least successful mutiny attempts in me memory...
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Ye be the finest crew a captain could ask fer.

We romanticize certain things after enough time has passed.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Yo ho ho!
    Ye say Pirates cannot resist a navy? Shiver me timbers! Have ye scallywag ne'er hear of Ching Shih? Or be ye loaded to the gunwhales?

If the original post was meant to elicit much pirate talk, well played!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

what accent is that?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    I am sick to DEATH of all the pirate crap! It is just a constant reminder of how brain-dead modern people are.
    Zombie pirates would be AWESOME!!! Thanks for the idea Vuk.
    This space intentionally left blank

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

This thread is taking up a spot that could be used for something.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    This thread is taking up a spot that could be used for something.
    You want to plant a tree here?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    You want to plant a tree here?
    Is it black history month already?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Zombie pirates would be AWESOME!!! Thanks for the idea Vuk.
    http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=h0yjKA1o55M
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

And ... scene.