Thread: Are the Brittish citizens going to allow this to happen?

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Default Are the Brittish citizens going to allow this to happen?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39265847
    Guess you guys over there in merry ol' England shouldn't have fought so hard against the Germans.... twice....
    RIP Tosa

Default Re: Are the Brittish citizens going to allow this to happen?

I see absolutely no problem with this. But I guess the only reason why someone would see this as problematic, would be if they see govenment as teh evilz.

Seriouely, this is a non-issue politically, this is a purely technical issue. The treasury simply isn't interested in trying to get as much tax as possible, their only concern is to make sure that you pay as correctly as possible. Whether they give or take money is irrelevant to them. As an example; try giving them more than you are supposed to pay. They money will be repaid, on the dollar, with interest.

The only problem I see with this, is that it might eliminate the possibility of paying a higher monthly tax in order to get a high refund. But that's a lazy way of saving money anyway...
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Also, I find it hilarious that over half the article is qoutes from a guy working at a company which would lose a lot of business with such a plan, while it doesn't pay much attention to what the taxpayers alliance has to say, which is a highly credible organization.

My bet as to why? The taxpayer alliance's spokesman sounds like he's positive, and that dorsn't fit the "governmentz are teh evilz"-angle of the article.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What to know what is amusing, it was only an idea some one had. It would never happen, due to the costs of such a system alone would far exceed any money gained.

Americans, getting in their knickers in a twist over something that would never even happen. Perhaps having ideas or just putting random proposals on the table is seen as a bad think over there, but over in the United Kingdom, we like to have all options there and go for the best one.

A proposal like this would get glanced at, then thrown away anyway.

In short: Non-issue.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-21-2010 at 01:09.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

The article is correct in one thing: HMRC (or any government department) could never get such a large computer system working. They'd get the usual incompetent contractors to do the usual shoddy work, then act all surprised when it never gets off the ground. HMRC can barely use the systems they have now, mostly due to a shortage of staff, hence all the mistakes.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Or more likely blows up, and equally likely when pieces of it get found in the hands of tabloid journalists who said “drinks on me” to the HMRC staff on Friday.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The government is already incapable of getting the NHS computer service, the social support computer service... and I'm sure the list goes on. In benefits they manage to get it wrong ot the tune of a few billion a year.

And what, prey tell, when I don't get paid one month? As it's the government who has screwed up I've got no one to speed things along. Of course none of my bills will also suddenly stop so I'll get heavily fined for non-payment. And of course I'll not get a refund because of this.

In an ideal world sure, why not? But in this world it's a disaster waiting to happen. The government should be concentrating on doing less activities well, not adding more things that they'll do poorly.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

yeah this sounds like the classic "option C" of a proposal from civil servants to government ministers, where A and C are crazy things and B is the only real "option" that would work. This was probably leaked too.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    The government is already incapable of getting the NHS computer service, the social support computer service... and I'm sure the list goes on. In benefits they manage to get it wrong ot the tune of a few billion a year.

And what, prey tell, when I don't get paid one month? As it's the government who has screwed up I've got no one to speed things along. Of course none of my bills will also suddenly stop so I'll get heavily fined for non-payment. And of course I'll not get a refund because of this.

In an ideal world sure, why not? But in this world it's a disaster waiting to happen. The government should be concentrating on doing less activities well, not adding more things that they'll do poorly.

This is my view, the bolded part especially. The government can't be trusted to do this properly, and even if they could HMRC staff would start creaming money off for themselves sooner or later.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Dave, I liked it better when you made dick jokes. Fatalism doesnt suit you
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Dave, I liked it better when you made dick jokes. Fatalism doesnt suit you
    Well in that case...

"Doctor, won't you please kiss me?" asks the patient.

"No. You're a very beautiful woman, but it's against my code of ethics," replies the doctor.

"Please, just one kiss," she pleads.

"Sorry," says the doctor. "It's totally out of the question. I shouldn't even be ####ing you."

RIP Tosa

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    http://www.cnbc.com/id/39265847
    Guess you guys over there in merry ol' England shouldn't have fought so hard against the Germans.... twice....
    Why do you hate Germany?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

What, me worry?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Give me a "S", give me a "P", give me a "A", give me a "M"... What's it spell!?!?!?!?
    RIP Tosa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Give me a "S", give me a "P", give me a "A", give me a "M"... What's it spell!?!?!?!?
    MAPS!
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Germany might not be any better...
    BERLIN (Reuters) – A German restaurant operator has run into trouble with local tax authorities because he makes larger-than-average schnitzels -- or veal cutlets -- for his customers in a working class section of Saxony.
    Gerhard Kaltscheuer said his giant schnitzels are popular in the town of Hammerbruecke and he sells about 70 dishes per day. He said tax officials told him they believe he sells 200 portions daily based on the amount of raw material he purchases.
    "If I served the customers smaller portions at the normal price like that, I wouldn't have any customers because that wouldn't fill them up," Kaltscheuer told Reuters. He said he makes his portions large because his customers are laborers.
    Kaltscheuer said he is protesting a demand from the tax authorities to pay more tax based on a higher number of food sales. His story has been reported widely in the German media and there was a rally on his behalf on Monday.
    A spokesman for the tax office, asked about Kaltscheuer's case, said that he was not able to discuss it.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

It is interesting that his steaks are 2.5 times bigger than the competitors.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Almost exact same system existed in communist Yugoslavia and later in Milosevic's Serbia. Doesn't work, it's bulky and crude and it creates more bureaucracy than needed. It only allows government a few days (or weeks) to do with that money whatever it wants before it leaves their hands.

The system was scrapped in 2000.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post

Sounds like schnitzel envy to me.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Never heard of Brittish anyway, where do they come from? Brittsland?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Here in America we call that a "selling point"

Have you even seen man V food?

Did your mum hug you as a child?

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've also seen your rates of obesity. Is food addictive? Ye Gods! Any excuse to get away from the real problem that unless you do some exercise you'll blow up like an... American. And the number of bloaters who have got so obese that they've decided to use scooters to what? Preserve their strength for the next meal?

Oh yes, food is addictive as the more you eat, the fewer dopamine receptors you have, requiring to eat more for the same "high"... the only effective cure to replace the receptors is exercise.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I've also seen your rates of obesity. Is food addictive? Ye Gods! Any excuse to get away from the real problem that unless you do some exercise you'll blow up like an... American. And the number of bloaters who have got so obese that they've decided to use scooters to what? Preserve their strength for the next meal?

Oh yes, food is addictive as the more you eat, the fewer dopamine receptors you have, requiring to eat more for the same "high"... the only effective cure to replace the receptors is exercise.

Look at me, I'm a doctor, I have a fancy degree in medicine.

Are you saying people shouldn't be able to serve massive portions?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Sounds like schnitzel envy to me.
    More like doubts about the veracity of his claims about schnitzel size.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

All this talk of massive portions and schnitzel envy has given me a craving for spotted dick.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Here in America we call that a "selling point
    Sure, if you want your selling point to bankrupt you.
    Last edited by Beskar; 09-23-2010 at 19:47.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    All this talk of massive portions and schnitzel envy has given me a craving for spotted dick.
    Would you like some baguette with that?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LEAVE US ALONE
    EVIL GOVERNMENT!!

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"Would you like some baguette with that?"
    No
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"