Thread: Party: Blackwater Style

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Party: Blackwater Style

Ain’t No Party Like a Blackwater Party, ‘Cause a Blackwater Party Got Coke, ‘Roids, and AKs

We should do this. The Backroom has been really boring lately and this should shake things up.

Even though I've had no direct contact what so ever with anyone from Blackwater I have to yet glean any information that indicates this company is worth its salt. I know a lot of bad press has disappeared since this became "Obama's war" but these claims, as excessive as they seem, would make a great story for the 24/7 news cycle.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 09-24-2010 at 16:03. Reason: It's vs. its. It always gets me.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Party: Blackwater Style

Well at least they are behaving like proper mercinaries.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Well at least they are behaving like proper mercinaries.
    Agreed; and it's not unlike many people paid to fight wars in the past. It is, however, most decidedly ungentlemanly.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Agreed; and it's not unlike many people paid to fight wars in the past. It is, however, most decidedly ungentlemanly.
    That's why the Germans lost the revolution
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Making love and kinda not war a few AK's common, not war on drugs at least, and still you hippies complain.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Are they not called XE now?? this may be differ crowd
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Are they not called XE now?? this may be differ crowd
    They renamed the company Xe, but that happened February 2009. Same dudes. Apparently, they also have lots of shell companies set up to get around the various contracting bans.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    They renamed the company Xe, but that happened February 2009. Same dudes. Apparently, they also have lots of shell companies set up to get around the various contracting bans.
    A great paraphrase from a Colonel I met: I hate seeing people getting paid $100,000 to do the same I kicked them out for as a private.

Down with dried flowers!

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

They are jerks, especially when they don't get their way at the volleyball court, the dfac or the motorpool.

That being said, they are more dependable in a firefight than ASG or ANP as e found out today at FOB Gardez. I am fine, thanks for asking, although 4 of us with pistols managed to keep the FOB from being overrun when the ASG abandoned their posts. I took one of their AKs and used it when I ran out of 9mm. I was wearing PTs.

Blackwater gives a bad name to the rest of the contractors. My opinion of contractors has vastly changed for the better after seeing how much work they can accomplish compared to the red tape that is US ROE.

Only 10 percent of foreign contractors are combat/security related. The rest ride around in regular vehicles dressed as Afghans and oversee worthwhile projects at a much more efficient bang-for-the-buck than a PRT or BCT ever could. Only special forces have a similar success rate, because they are outside the typical rule and power point umbrella
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Mercs will be mercs will be mercs.

Kudos to them for having a good time doing what they like, though.

With mercs you get what you pay for - mercs. So do not be too surprised.

These stories that the populace will see as horrid should have been expected, heck, they are expected.

If you want a national fight to be fought with national rules, then use a national army. If you want it merc style, go with mercs.

Mercs are goood at the things they are good at, doing stuff without asking questions or running to the media, and they are steady in a combat situation.

As a private contractor, Iwould go with mercs rather than trying to sway government funds. I know both methods are used though.
    Few are born with it, even fewer know what to do with it.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    They are jerks, especially when they don't get their way at the volleyball court, the dfac or the motorpool.

That being said, they are more dependable in a firefight than ASG or ANP as e found out today at FOB Gardez. I am fine, thanks for asking, although 4 of us with pistols managed to keep the FOB from being overrun when the ASG abandoned their posts. I took one of their AKs and used it when I ran out of 9mm. I was wearing PTs.

Blackwater gives a bad name to the rest of the contractors. My opinion of contractors has vastly changed for the better after seeing how much work they can accomplish compared to the red tape that is US ROE.

Only 10 percent of foreign contractors are combat/security related. The rest ride around in regular vehicles dressed as Afghans and oversee worthwhile projects at a much more efficient bang-for-the-buck than a PRT or BCT ever could. Only special forces have a similar success rate, because they are outside the typical rule and power point umbrella
    Well now, sounds to me as though the OP's question was just answered. MRD's experience may be anecdotal in research terms, but I'm gonna give him 10 outa 10 for narrative credibility.

MRD: Is it SOP to have you and yours out there ONLY with sidearms, without even something heavier "sitting in a suitcase" nearby? That's scary.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    MRD: Is it SOP to have you and yours out there ONLY with sidearms, without even something heavier "sitting in a suitcase" nearby? That's scary.
    Hear hear. Even if the locals were thought of as competant (which I don't think anyone has ever accused the of) I'd've thought some backup would have been a good idea - and in the greater scheme of things not that expensive - compared to the cost of loosing a post and the expense of training more personel to replace the mutilated / decapitated ones.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Well now, sounds to me as though the OP's question was just answered. MRD's experience may be anecdotal in research terms, but I'm gonna give him 10 outa 10 for narrative credibility.

So it seems their strength is in combat (not to be confused with warfighting) and not more sensitive duties, despite their successes in defending VIPs.

It's a tough call. You can't have rent-a-cops protecting VIPs in a combat zone.

Down with dried flowers!

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

I don't understand the question. You mean me or contractors?
    They attacked a flank from a treeline by a village with snipers, rpgs and mortars, while 4 suicide bombers discreetly tried to walk into the base behind a vehicle IED. Normally on a FOB, people off duty only have to carry a sidearm and do not have to have armor. We were finishing lunch in PTs with pistols when the attack occured, and started taking sniper fire (later determined to be 50 cal and 308s). While most people ran for the shelters or ran back to their rooms/offices to upgrade, 4 of us cowboys ran straight to the gate which was about a 20 second sprint (our barracks was a hlaf mile away). The suicide bombers had opened fire and The Afghan security (ASG) and the lone ANP officer were running from the gate, leaving a lone PRT national guardsman from pennsylvania at the post with a malfunctioning 50 cal. A firefight ensued w/ AKs vs our 9mms. The bad guys shot two afghan contractors in the back who were trying to find cover by us. The 50 finally kicked in despite the PRT kid having a major concussion from an RPG, and one of my teammates got on the 50 mounted in a derilect humvee we use as an obstacle...that gun would normally be manned by an ASG. The VBIED came in the wrong way and had to back up because it could not get into the exit (despite a sign in pashtu directing traffic), and it ran over one of their on guys. The car caught fire from all the bullets, and since it had RPGs in the bed (it was a truck) a nice fireworks show ensued that eventually blew the VBIED. This caught one suicide bomber on fire, and he ran around burning up and none of us bothered to shoot him. Only the primer on his vest ignited, because he never blew up, he died from inhaling the flames. Some EOD and PRT soldiers showed up (also in PTs armedith 9mms) but they had AKs they had taken from the fleeing guards and they passed the AKs out to my team as we had negotiated to an area where we had the other 3 suicide bombers pinned down. At this point other soldiers were on the wall facing the treeline exchanging fire with the snipers in the trees. The pinned down Taliban were shot tp pieces by various parties, and I will say had they not had suicide vests on we would have stopped shooting when they were wounded, but you bring a suicide vest to the fight you don't get taken prisoner. The guys in the tree line retreated as vehicles poured out of the FOB, including the derilect humvee driven and gunned by my teammates in PTs with no armor (we got in trouble for this, btw). The badguys fled to nearby homes and,likely wounded, they probably invoked PashtuWalli and the people let them in. We had jets and choppers circling at this point videotaping them going into these homes. We are not allowed to kick in doors anymore, and home searches have to be done by Afghan police, and by the time they showed up 1 hour later the badguys were indistuinguishable from the other people in the village as they had ditched their clothes and their weapons. That, and the police suck at what they do. All the wounded would have to do is put on a burqa and pretend to be a woman and now they are untouchable. Love the culture here. That is the short version of the story, a typical comical attempt by the Taliban to attack

We got in trouble by our boss for not running back to the barracks and putting on our armor and getting rifles and defending our sector. Well, our sector was pretty well defended, and the real fight was 20 seconds away, versus the 2 minute run back to the hut. Once it became clear that the gate would have been overrun had we not responded, we stopped being in trouble but we still caught hell for chasing out of the FOB in PTs. I am glad e do not have to ear full gear ecerywhere,it would be miserable, and this is one of the most peaceful FOBS in theater because we are near holy ground, and by near I mean the FOB is built around a giant cemetary and the last two real attacks 3 years ago resulted in the attackers and their families being slaughtered by the family of the people in the cemetary. In fact, they had a funeral today right in the middle of the FOB and buried an old mullah, kind of surreal to see that in your base coming back from lunch.

I am rambling now, but to answer the question: on most FOBS and even on the little outposts, heavy equipment is not required as we are usually surrounded by walls and usually on high ground. If word comes in of possible attack or we are on alert for QRF then we stay suited up.

Back OT, the afgha presidents declaration to eliminate all foreign security companies from the country will be a terrible blow to security and will actually cause afghans to lose jobs and developments. I can think of about 24 NGOs who will not take projects in afghanistan if their only choice is to hire locals for security, and these are good NGOs who do cash-for-work projects which have good results and little corruption, because the afghans are working for the ngo directly; in typical NATO type run projects and government agency projects, the supervising officer pays an afghan contractor who then subcontracts out multiple times and the fruad and waste is astounding. example: the Paktya PRT just brought non-generator sustainable electricity to the town of Sayed Karem, and the solar electric grid to serve 50 homes cost 1.5 million dollars. That is like 3x over normal cost, and to make matters worse the land-use agreement was not properly done and now the guy who owned the land claims the grid is his, the natioanl energy commission claims the grid is theirs, and the 5 tribal elders of the 50 families want control of the grid becuse, ya know, they totally know about running an electrical plant. They also don't understand non-profit grid does not mean everyone uses for free, but that is another post.

So yeah, Blackwater has its good days and bad days, but you don't hear about most contractors because they are keeping a low profile, it is the best way to survive.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

That's a hell of a story, dump. They should make a movie based after your crazy Afghanistan adventures. I'm glad to hear you are okay.

On topic, minus the guns and add some women, and you have one hell of a party. Seriously though, that's a bit disgusting to read.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

MRD:

You most thoroughly answered my question, thank you, even though the phrasing of my question had been made based on mistaken assumptions on my part.

The story is fascinating and informative as well. Thanks.

I'm also glad to see that "running toward the sound of the guns" still counts -- however grudgingly -- more than picayune procedure.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken