Thread: Planescape Torment

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Planescape Torment

I guess a few people will buy this now that it's on GOG, I had it back in the day but never really got around to playing it properly. One question for those who have played it, how do you pick a class, I have seen references to thief/fighter etc in game but there wasn't an option to choose.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Planescape Torment

http://planescape.outshine.com/

I won't gush now but I'm a big fan. It can be frustrating but is rewarding.

To answer your question: you choose your class, possibly several times, during the course of and as a result of choices in the game.

Welcome to Sigil.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Absolutely fantastic game, everyone with an interest in RPGs owes it to themselves to play it.

The Nameless One begins as a fighter. You talk to people to learn thief and mage, and you need to speak to people to change from one learned class to another. Some of those class switchers are party members.

There are a few people to learn from, with two being easy to access near the start:
    Mage: the old lady in ragpicker square. Run errends for her. Thief ... can't remember exactly, some shady looking guy and IIRC he was in the same area.

Mage is the most powerful class, and it ties in well with the stats needed to get the most out of the story. High wisdom and intelligence are uber in this game. High dexterity is nice too, but strictly as a third stat.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

This site provides pretty much most of what you could want to know about PS-T:

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/pl...pe/index.shtml

Probably the best RPG of this type I've ever played. Just played through it a couple of times recently, and still enjoyed it after all these years (granted, I'd forgotten many of the story details as it's been almost a decade since I last played it).

Power-leveling = Black Abishai in the early levels and Undersigil in the mid-game. Double-specializing as a Fighter first for number of attacks and weapon proficiencies and then switching to Mage is much more powerful than just being a mage, but takes a lot longer. The special fighter tattoos are great for Dakkon and Annah when you switch to mage. If you don't mind hanging out and leveling in Undersigil for a while before going on to Ravel's maze, this is by far the best way to develop your character (and your team). Fighting the worms and trelons down there can be fun.
    Last edited by Togakure; 09-28-2010 at 23:00.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Here's another fan, utterly engrossing rpg with the tired amnesia-theme done right, truly excellent storytelling. With the very modest 640x480 it still manages to look incredible.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

The music is fascinating as well. It's perfect for the setting. (impending gush...exhale)

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!