Thread: Same engine as ntw.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

CA Same engine as ntw.

Shogun 2 runs on the same engine as ntw while this will be good in terms of the game having a good solid feel when it comes out i wonder how this will transfer to a melee based game. Lets look at the problems the engine has in particular with melee.

Banana Runs: when charging a unit in melee often your own unit will run off in a banana shaped charge even if directly in front of the target unit.

1v1 Fighting: Amp pointed out to me that units only fight 1v1, as far as im aware this is the first totalwar game to do this, if you actually zoom in you see 5 men standing around doing nothing while others just fight 1v1. This could be a really bad thing for a melee based game, did i say could? will be.

Buggy Ui: In ntw square 1 unit switch to another unit of the same type and it will show that its squared already even though its not? :o

Run!: This is one of my biggest gripes with ntw, i find myself more and more having to babysit my units pressing run 15 times till i realise the units running. It doesent show immediatly. Run toggle is fine and well but we need a HARDCORE run button it does nothing else just says oi you! RUN!

Cav: NTW has square formation and cav are VERY versatile in the game, i can charge 4 different units with the same cav getting 4 charge bonuses in around 25 seconds or so. This gives cav the potential in stw to be very overpowered especially if there is a lancer type unit. Countering cav with spears is a different ball game than easily countering with square. and your going to see sword armies etc in shogun2 which will be very vulnerable to this kind of tactic. I hope that they make the yari cav a unit thats weak against infantry and good against cav as a counter unit to cav heavy armies again, and that heavy cav is again too expensive to be spammed.

I have surely missed some stuff, anyone else can think of other stuff which may not translate to a melee game so well?
    Last edited by Swoosh So; 10-01-2010 at 08:52.

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha