Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I run in battle?

Default Re: How do I run in battle?

Also, as i mentioned, the princesses can offer themselves for marriage to other rulers (the princess can be drpoed to a king), so its actually clear that it will work if implemented. They would just need to find him - but oither than that they can do it. In any case the AI plays with matteosartori on if i'm not mistaken, so no trouble for him.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

It does appear that the AI plays with the FOW turned off, but I don't think it gets full intel. It's been shown that the AI doesn't invade if it doesn't have any intel on a province. This has been shown where watchtowers have been removed altogether. It may be that the AI agents can see everything on the map - this does seem obvious as they appear out of blue offering alliances to factions they have no contact with, in territories they have not scouted. Armies on the other hand function differently. It may be that they can "see" what's in a province and whom it belongs to, but cannot check building/army stack intel there without an adjacent watchtower/border fort or agent in the province. Evidence seems to point the lack of intel blocking the AI from invading altogether. This seems logical as the AI needs to know the rival faction army stack make-up before it can commit forces. If it didn't have this ability you would see many more battles with the AI sending 100 peasants on suicide invasions. This intel is also key to how the AI builds up forces on it's borders.
    Last edited by caravel; 10-18-2010 at 14:04.

I have noted that too with the agents. They know were they are going. Hmm. Interesting.

Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Also, as i mentioned, the princesses can offer themselves for marriage to other rulers (the princess can be drpoed to a king), so its actually clear that it will work if implemented. They would just need to find him - but oither than that they can do it. In any case the AI plays with matteosartori on if i'm not mistaken, so no trouble for him.
    It is a minor loss, but you can keep your royal line fully married for centuries by requesting marriage (with emissaries) from 1-3 friendly factions. The AI will never send out their own princesses in this ratio. Removing emissaries can still be worth it, but there's a small strategic loss there.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

Well, seeing that many campaigns ended prematurely due to extincition, removing the ability to go hunting babes for your heirs isn't that small a strategic loss at all.

You both certainly have a point. Many times mid-late game, going hunting for a Princess is fruitless. However its true that between fruitless and not possible is a (very?) large difference.

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

You both certainly have a point. Many times mid-late game, going hunting for a Princess is fruitless. However its true that between fruitless and not possible is a (very?) large difference.
    It's usually one or two factions that are very accepting, while the rest is completely unaccepting. The Sicillians and the Danes are two factions that usually accepts. Works often until late game at least and I got confirmation on one marriage in the ultimate endgame. Good old memories.

I think it has a lot to do with invasion protection, while having no way (or at least thought) to invade you. One good reason to have those isolated factions left as allies (even if requesting marriage doesn't give an alliance iirc).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Thanks for the good observations Ironside, i noticed similar patterns. I think that marriage does mean alliance though (if the factions aren't already allied).

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Superb! I found the "extra king" hilarious for some reason.

I haven't seen bugs like that since MTW v1 or when I used to abuse the quicksave. I once had the wrong men back from a ransom - that was funny.
    Last edited by caravel; 10-20-2010 at 11:54.

Thanks for the good observations Ironside, i noticed similar patterns. I think that marriage does mean alliance though (if the factions aren't already allied).
    Thinking about it, it might be that it doesn't end a war. It is some bug about it though. I had a campaign that had it happen several times over a few generations. But it was a long time ago so I've forgotten the details.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    Superb! I found the "extra king" hilarious for some reason.

I haven't seen bugs like that since MTW v1 or when I used to abuse the quicksave. I once had the wrong men back from a ransom - that was funny.
    I still like my Baldin acts, even if I needed to place out a bit more , and "" to make the text properly readable. Needed proof reading as well. Could've played a bit more with the 0 dread but aggressive as well. Always interesting to see old texts you've written.

I think it have something to do with a civil war happening at the same time all the land gets inherited by another faction. The civil war faction won't die out, but will only have a buggy king, that the inheritor controls. Happened to me once and had the same double king phenomena later on. I think he was a armoured spearmen unit as well. That really is one of the odd and hard to get bugs in the game.

1.0 gave me several rebellions (spy spam worked back then) of mongol muslim highlander clansmen in Georgia once.
    Last edited by Ironside; 10-20-2010 at 18:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    1.0 gave me several rebellions (spy spam worked back then) of mongol muslim highlander clansmen in Georgia once.
    I remember those as well. You can still get those ridiculous clansmen rebellions if you mess something up trying to mod the game. The ransom is the oddest tough, I may have posted about it before, but it would probably have been about 4 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12