Thread: Problems with EDU backup

Default Problems with EDU backup

Well, I modded all the EDU file, halving the recruiting costs and maintaning cost for all units of the game and tried to play, but the game restored the unmodyfied EDU every time.

After some research, I found out that I had to overwrite the EDU in the "sp game edu backup" folder. I did it, but now the game won't start.

Any ideas?

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Problems with EDU backup

This maybe two separate problems. If you are using the trivial script to select single player or multiplayer games, then the EDU file in the EB/data folder will be overwritten by the EDU in the sp or mp back-up folder. That you already know. However, a second problem is that Windows notepad was not designed to deal with files as big as EB's data files. This can cause problems with the saved .txt files. Try using the Notepad++ program: you can find a download link in the Freeware and Open Software thread.

Welcome to the .Org, and to EB.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Default Re: Problems with EDU backup

Thank you. I've been readings this forums for some time and I finally decided to enter the community...

Well, about the EB mini-mod task, I don't think that's the problem. Anyway, I tried installing the notepad++ and still happens the same.
    I get to see the "EUROPA BARBARORUM" image when the game is loading before the usual RTW intro, but then I get a CTD with no reason.

Should I upload the EDU for you to see?

Blog Entries

I am afraid I do not have EB installed on my laptop, so I cannot help you there. Does the original EDU still work?

Sure, If I replace the modified EDU with the original one, the game starts as normal... It's frustrating.

Blog Entries

Strange. Just checking: did you use notepad++ to change the original EDU, or did you merely use it to save the altered one that had already been giving you trouble? If the former, I guess I'd best move this thread to the bug forum. Maybe XSarmartan knows more.

Well, I first changed the EDU found in the data folder, backed it up, and when I discovered that I had to overwrite the one in the sp game edu backup folder, I simply copied it there. Anyway, the files are just the same, so I don't think it matters at all. BTW I didn't know about notepad++. I used the regular one to modify the EDU... I'll try again using the notepad++ from the start and see what happens :\