Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ProjectileStats

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scsscsfanfan @ Nov. 18 2002,17:22)]will there be anyway to add new porjectile types?
    Afraid not. The hardcoding of the order also means that there's no way to extend it :( Not very mod-friendly... sorry.

Gil ~ CA
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

Bump for SmokWawelski. Maybe sticky-worthy? I dunno.

Patrick

most certainly sticky it plz
    i dont know how you CA guys say its not mod-friendly it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to make a mod, change all those units and projectile stats, textures sounds and campaign map it is VERY mod friendly, all those txt files have comments with loads of detail, they are a modding manual
    of course, there are a few questions to be raised:
    where is the file with the images of the arrows/naphta/javelins/explosions?
    is there a way to make arrows/cannonballs explode like naphta bombs? i really need some modern artillery and the grenades launchers i made simply wont do alone

oh, BTW, here is a shameless rip of what i posted in another thread, it might be helpful...
    be aware i was talking about how to improve an archer

by editing the projectilestats.txt, you can change:

-range, how far can the unit shoot 5000 units=100 metres, you will also need greater "Velocity" for longer ranges

-Velocity, how fast does the missile travel. this makes the projectiles more accurate when shooting moving units, especially at longer distances

-Accuracy, the closer to 1, better (good for reducing friendly fire in melee battles)

-Lethality, one of the most important factors in the efficiency of a weapon. multiply this value by 18 (bydefault, not always i i will explain) and you get the percentage of a kill if the arrow hits a soldier.

-Power, measured in hit points taken when hit, used mainly for siege weapons. Even if your archers cannot hit walls, this makes it easier to kill kings, generals and unit commanders and lieutenants (the guys with the little triangular flags), kings/generals can take 10-30 hits (depending on luck, vices, virtues etc..) commanders have about 5-8 and lieutenants 2-4. most normal troops have 1 HP.

-Armour mod, the effectiveness of armour against this projectile, 1 is 100% and 0, 0%. For example, a knight has armour value 6, and the armour mod of the arrow that hits it is 0.5, the the damage/killing calculations will consider the armour as being 3.

-Reload time, pretty explanatory, i think it is in seconds, but im not sure

-Shoot immediated, if no ("n") the unit will have to reload before firing, not after. doesn’t make that much difference for archer, who have short reload times

-Reload moving, again, not much effect for archer for the same reason, defines whether the units can reload on the run

-Isgun, if yes only the first rank will shoot, then revolve so the others behind can have their go, leave it at no for maximum efficiency

-Try high, it is already yes, so they can shoot target of their line of sight by aiming at high angles (a hill or wall in-between)

-FireInRain: Can the weapon fire in the rain. Doesn't apply to artillery

-MinAngle: Minimum angle the weapon can fire at. 90 = vertically up.

-MaxAngle: Maximum angle the weapon can fire at. 90 = vertically up

-AccColDec: y if this projecitle should always accurate collision detection against models. This is computationally expensive

-LaunchFX: Name of sound effect to use when artillery fires. Note this is a name internal to the program and does not refer to a wav file

-Model: Name of the model used for an artillery piece

-bounce: y if the projectile can bounce

-minCrew: The minimum number of crew needed for an artillery piece

-numSoldiers: Affects loss of effectiveness as crew is reduced. Must be greater than minCrew
    Effectiveness = SoldiersInUnit / (numSoldiers - minCrew)

-TurnSpeed: Turning rate of artillery pieces that can turn. Set to 0 for pieces that cannot turn
    -ArtilleryReloadTime: Reload time of artillery. A value of 140 indicated 10 seconds

-FieldOfFire: The horizontal cone of fire for an artillery piece. It must turn (if it can) to engage targets outside this arc

-SafeShots: The number of shots an artillery piece can fire before it has a chance of exploding

-Safety: The chance of a gun exploding with each shot once it shot more than "safeshots". Multiply by 100 for a percentage

-HitXXX: The 5 hit values define what happens when the projectile hits various items

-blast radius: when it hits something, the projectiles (arrows) will "blow up", killing troops in a radius described in the field 50 units = 1 meter

-BlastKillChance: The percentage kill chance of a soldier in the blast radius being killed.

now this is theoretical stuff, based on my observations:

-to determine if the arrow hits a soldier, the program will atke into account the heigh and radius values the unit targeted has in the crusaders_unit_prod11.txt file.
    -if it is a positive hit, then the chance in percent to kill a soldier is the lethality value multiplied by 18. this is the base chance, but it will be affected bt the unit's armour value, shield size and shield modifier value, all of those can be found in crusaders_unit_prod11.txt.
    thus bigger units are easier to hit, but that doesnt mean easier to kill, as if they have heavy armour, a large/pavise shield and a full modifier (1) and get hit by low lethality arrows they will be VERY hard to kill.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Ahhh... I have to return here.

When I said one arrow could theretically kill two men it counted on the arrow penetrating the first man. Not that I expected it could at any time, but you could make the Lethality go up to make it a kill every time as well. It was more a statement of Lethality is more important til kill than accuracy than it was a statement of fact.

I have modded the ninjastar to be a composite bow, works very nicely.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ Dec. 22 2002,12:20)]Ahhh... I have to return here.

When I said one arrow could theretically kill two men it counted on the arrow penetrating the first man. Not that I expected it could at any time, but you could make the Lethality go up to make it a kill every time as well. It was more a statement of Lethality is more important til kill than accuracy than it was a statement of fact.

I have modded the ninjastar to be a composite bow, works very nicely.
    What do you write on the projectile value in the crusaders_unit_prod11.txt?
    I only see normal stuff like GREN, XBOW, etc. no ninja star...

I wanted to tinker with the gunpowder units so I increesed the accuracy on arquebus and handgun and am doing some testing. That definitly changes the killing power. Got to move it back down to something more reasonable. I see something in the list down on the bottom called bullet_from_model. Is there something I need to do with that? What is that? Also I want to now tinker with the artillery. I noticed their accuracy was much better in the default list already, yet there is a wide variation in the left-right spread of the shots which makes them damn near useless. What factor do I change to "reduce" this variation?

Lion, I expect you have madded the ninjastar stats so you can use them.

All you have to do is add NINJ in the correct spot for the unit you want to have the ninjastar stats.

Quote[/b] (Lion King @ Dec. 20 2002,19:53)]most certainly sticky it plz
    i dont know how you CA guys say its not mod-friendly it took me 15 minutes to figure out how to make a mod, change all those units and projectile stats, textures sounds and campaign map it is VERY mod friendly, all those txt files have comments with loads of detail, they are a modding manual
    of course, there are a few questions to be raised:
    where is the file with the images of the arrows/naphta/javelins/explosions?
    is there a way to make arrows/cannonballs explode like naphta bombs? i really need some modern artillery and the grenades launchers i made simply wont do alone
    Can't add new stuff though, was what I meant.

The projectile textures are probably on textures\men\xplopage.lbm

Don't think you can make projectiles explosive... I think that's hardcoded, we create a different class for some projectiles rather than taking it all from the projectile stats: another shortcoming.
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

Quote[/b] (Saracen @ Dec. 29 2002,11:53)]I wanted to tinker with the gunpowder units so I increesed the accuracy on arquebus and handgun and am doing some testing. That definitly changes the killing power. Got to move it back down to something more reasonable. I see something in the list down on the bottom called bullet_from_model. Is there something I need to do with that? What is that? Also I want to now tinker with the artillery. I noticed their accuracy was much better in the default list already, yet there is a wide variation in the left-right spread of the shots which makes them damn near useless. What factor do I change to "reduce" this variation?
    Stuff_from_model is stuff that is shot by castle towers AFAIK and check my topic above for more info on how to improve missile units

I'm afraid I don't see in your post what might effect the left-right-long-short fall of artillery???

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

The ninjastar stat from projectile.txt can be used in crusader-unit.txt by using NINJ for projectile (wordpad edit). You actually see a normal arrow fired from a archer when using this one.

There are also bolt from model, arrow from model and bullet from model. I expect you could use those stats for a unit too.

NINJ adds a 4th, arrow from model would be nice to add as 5th. How should it be referred to in unit-prod? I tried AFM, ARFM and the like, but no go.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Ahhh Tosa you bring a valid point there...

I would love to let the Mongols have very different stats from the others and the arrow_from_model would be a perfect candidate.
    All we need now is for Gil to come around and tell how to do it.

Quote[/b] (Saracen @ Dec. 30 2002,11:56)]I'm afraid I don't see in your post what might effect the left-right-long-short fall of artillery???
    The ranging-in done by artillery is handled in code; it's affected by the honour of the crew, and isn't moddable.
    Gil ~ CA

This Panda

What impact would increasing accuracy have? Can you take it above 1.0? It is one thing to range for a few shots but I find the artillery as a whole rediculous. It is of little use as it is currently configured. Catapults get many more kills than anything involving gunpowder. If you can't hit a massed army of thousands of troops after a couple of shots something is wrong IMO.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

Quote[/b] (Saracen @ Dec. 31 2002,23:31)]What impact would increasing accuracy have? Can you take it above 1.0? It is one thing to range for a few shots but I find the artillery as a whole rediculous. It is of little use as it is currently configured. Catapults get many more kills than anything involving gunpowder. If you can't hit a massed army of thousands of troops after a couple of shots something is wrong IMO.
    Indeed something is wrong
    You should shoot your gunners

LK

Quote[/b] (Saracen @ Dec. 31 2002,23:31)]Catapults get many more kills than anything involving gunpowder. If you can't hit a massed army of thousands of troops after a couple of shots something is wrong IMO.
    Thats when my "Operation Upshot-Knothole" mod comes in
    My beautiful cannon "Grable" fires a nuke at the enemy lines. In my test battle the enemies almost as many casualties as Hiroshima, with one shot. i was lucky my crew wasnt wiped out by the blast as they were only a couple miles away.
    i am going to add the towers pretty soon. If you dont know what i mean, google for it
    Seriously, its pretty cool

actually, if i find out how to rescale the explosions, i might even do some nuclear mushroom-like explosions

Has anyone figured out how to make FIRE ARROWS yet ? If so let me know how to do it..

King David, just wait until the x-pac.

Exclamation

Quote[/b] (Kraxis @ Jan. 13 2003,13:03)]King David, just wait until the x-pac.
    Did you acomplish it ? My Sagitarii (Archers) could use them..

Just created some Fire arrows and Javelins for MTW. Go and get it here:
    http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWbeta/

I would like to know the name to use in Prod11.txt for both Arrow_from_model and Bolt_From_Model so I can use the arrow one for the advanced mounted archers {Mamlukes , Mongol Horse Archers etc} and the bolt one for mounted crossbows {so they wont have the full dismounted accuracy , just like mounted bows are less accurate} .

Gil ... ? Pretty please with T.J. crack-ho s on top

For interest , I modded accuracy up to .7 all foot bows , .6 mounted , .8 crossbows , .85 arbs . .25 jav , .05 napthas {in 60 man units } , .1 for guns {makes a difference} , 1 for balistas {makes bugger-all difference} , lethality to .75 for Longbows , gave crossbows a reload time of 10 and alowed mounted bows to reload moving and used ninjastars for foot composite bows {as opposed to the less powerful ones used mounted} with accuracy .7 , lethality .75 and a .75 armourpeircing mod . I'll play with the velocities untill I'm satisfyed .

I need to be able to use those ****_from_model stats for mounted archery .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

where is the proj. stats txt file located?
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Rangers Lead the Way 3/75 RRGT Member RangerLee's Avatar

Hey guys, I have been building a Cemetary Ridge map in an attempt to recreat picketts charge. After seeing this post I have more hope seeing as the gunpowder units as they stand are usless in simulating a civil war battle.

Does anyone have a sample of a modified rifleman (sorry i do not know the name off hand) and handgunner file that I could take a look at and perhaps use? As well a modified cannon would be great as well.

If possible they could be sent to lforrest@cntus.jnj.com

We done a musket with bayonet as a sample.

TheLords_Musket_V2.zip

It should be on the org downloads.
    I'm not sure as I never downloaded it.

This is a graphic example of to get the effect.
    If you want to change the projectile stats
    well thats easier just improve the arqubus stats.
    Take all the armour bonus away
    and they will drop like flies.
    I'v noticed by having all range units on the battle field works out ok for the kind of simulation you want.

LK

btw the rate of fire of the arquebus as it is,
    in the game, roughly works out at the same rate of fire
    you get from an 18th century musket so don't change that
    unless you want to mod the springfield, I would suggest.

LK

Hey krazy thanks for the reply, I am going to dl the musket with bayonet and give it a shot

Have you seen any mods that put a musketman on horseback?

Now that you mention it yes.
    We did one, yet again in conjunction with Welly
    I can't remember what I called it.
    It's part of the request to community mod
    TEST_TheLords_69_Units.zip
    It on the beta downloads section

The bif is in a seperate download.
    it should be mentioned in the 69_units download
    I'm going to bed now so
    tell me about it tommorow

LK

You and your boys are the sh*t, this will work real well in my Gettysburg battle maps I am making. Day 1 involved successful staling action of union calvery so that the North would hold the high ground. Now I can use those units, once again kudos to you.

As for the rate of fire, I do have to lower the reload time a little bit. The standard issue rifleman during that time was able to fire off 6 shots in one minute. Currently the units are lucky to get off 2 shots. So I am assuming the rate of fire value in the projectile.txt is in seconds.

This seems right though, the black powder weapons depected in MTW were very primitive and slow loading. Things improved much by the mid-late 1800's, even English military advisors in the south were impressed on the leathality of american firearms in that period.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast