Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ProjectileStats

Rangers Lead the Way 3/75 RRGT Member RangerLee's Avatar

As of yet I have not found either one of the files. I am still looking though.

Senior Member Senior Member Lord Krazy's Avatar

I see what you mean
    http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Mtw_Uploads/MTWbeta/

TheLords_69_units are here

http://www.3ddownloads.com/strateg....MTWbeta

the first version of the musket is here.

LK_musket_v1

the bifs should be here for the cavalry too.

MEN_BIFS_FOR_Lords_mod

I'll find them all and let you know asap:D

LK

http://www.3ddownloads.com/strategy-...lwar/MTW/Stats

or
    http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Downloads.shtml:for downloads

(It's working know btw)

This is where you can get
    TheLords_musket_v2

We are making a Napoleonic mod which will
    have similarities to the kind of stuff needed
    for ACW.I can make you yanky and rebel flags
    and icons if you like.I'v got quite a bit of that stuff
    here to use as base images.I were planning on
    doing some stuff for ACW anyway.

With regards to the stats for the musket
    seen as you won't need arrows and axes
    and such you can have several different guns.

LK

Lord Krazy I bow before your awesome and awe inspiring skills. To top all that off you have been more then willing to help me out beyond what most would, thanks again.

I look forward to finishing this first battle and would love to send it to you to check out. Two sets of battle flags would be great to have, up until now I figured I would start small and use what was available with only a modified projectile stats but with what you have shown me I can do even more. So far my terrain is coming out very well, I even have emitsburg road and the farm house set up with a plush green ground with the wheat colored weeds. The "angle" is difficult since I do not have any low brick walls to work with so for now the imagination will have to be used.

BTW I cant wait to see your Napoleonic Mod, my thing right now is to make 3 battle maps for each day of gettysburg. Seeing what you are able to do your mod will be something that brings a tear to ones eye

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RangerLee @ Feb. 04 2003,15:48)]
    Quote[/b] ]Lord Krazy I bow before your awesome and awe inspiring skills
    Get up and don't be silly

Quote[/b] ]To top all that off you have been more then willing to help me out beyond what most would,
    They let me work on the basis that I do that for work

Quote[/b] ]I look forward to finishing this first battle and would love to send it to you to check out.
    That would be nice

Quote[/b] ]BTW I cant wait to see your Napoleonic Mod, my thing right now is to make 3 battle maps for each day of gettysburg. Seeing what you are able to do your mod will be something that brings a tear to ones eye
    I know it's made me cry

Don't hold your breath or you'll go as blue as
    a yankies britches.

BTW the AI won't defend set positions
    so it should be made to play as the Union.

Krazy, one last question is there away to set the amount of ammo. I have decreased the reload time a little bit but while defending the units always seem to run out of ammo to quick.

Quote[/b] (RangerLee @ Feb. 09 2003,13:03)]Krazy, one last question is there away to set the amount of ammo. I have decreased the reload time a little bit but while defending the units always seem to run out of ammo to quick.
    Yes, this is in prod11.txt.

Under this heading.
    "Stats and general info about this trooptype"

In this list you will find AMMO(10)

change the 10 to what ever you want.

LK

What about the "torch" line in projectile stats?

Quote[/b] (Jon von @ Feb. 22 2003,14:27)]What about the "torch" line in projectile stats?
    At a guess I would say it was for the torch

You can change the stats and the lbm but that's it.

It's used by the men to burn things.

What is you want to know anyway?

LK

I could mod the ninjastar line and assign it to muslim archers unit: it's known that muslim archers were better than their west counterparts. Or could I assign it to genoese sailors: they were crossbowmen, they were very well trained shooters (= more accuracy than standard Xbowmen) but they had a smaller crossbow (= less lethality).
    any suggestion?
    Could the torch be used as fire arrows?

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Jon von - I would say giving the Moslems composite bows was much more important than worrying about the Genovese sailors. They are much more significant in the grand scheme of things (ie many more troops are at stake) and do need something to help offset their lighter troops.

can anyone post the list of untis with composite bows?
    thanx

I would distinguish between horse and foot archers. The various types of horse archers probably all had composite bows, but I would make these shorter range than the foot ones (for gameplay, I'd probably leave the horse archers inferior to simple foot short bows and maybe leave them as they are). The foot archers with composite bows are probably all the Islamic and Byzantine units. It may be simpler to think which archers do not have composite bows (vanilla archers, Genovese archers, not much else I can think of off hand...).

Quote[/b] (Jon von @ Feb. 24 2003,09:11)]I could mod the ninjastar line and assign it to muslim archers unit: it's known that muslim archers were better than their west counterparts. Or could I assign it to genoese sailors: they were crossbowmen, they were very well trained shooters (= more accuracy than standard Xbowmen) but they had a smaller crossbow (= less lethality).
    any suggestion?
    Quote[/b] ]I could mod the ninjastar line and assign it to muslim archers unit
    Which is handy as no unit in the game uses it.
    This means you will not have to worry about
    effecting other units.

Quote[/b] ]Could the torch be used as fire arrows?
    Yes it could.
    But the torch is used by ALL units
    so all units will throw fire arrows.
    As this is not the effect you want then
    the answere is NO.This is coded

Are you sure that byz had comp bows?

Quote[/b] (Jon von @ Feb. 24 2003,09:11)]I could mod the ninjastar line and assign it to muslim archers unit: it's known that muslim archers were better than their west counterparts. Or could I assign it to genoese sailors: they were crossbowmen, they were very well trained shooters (= more accuracy than standard Xbowmen) but they had a smaller crossbow (= less lethality).
    any suggestion?
    You could , but as you only have one spare stat , you might want to simply use the standard crossbow stat and simply assume that the extra kills that can be attributed to the extra power of the full sized crossbow are actually happening because the Genoese Sailors are shooting more accurately {sort of susspend your disbelief on the issue} .

I did not realise the little fellows were historically crossbowmen I assume they were made archers so they could be obtaind in the Early Period {then the game is put out with a bug that allows crossbows to be made early anyhow } . I might mod them crossbow myself then . Thanks for the information
    Read my second repily in your Thread on what performance for crossbows and longbows . You will need to increase the velocity to 180 if you use those ranges .
    7 out of 10 people like me ,
    I'm not going to change for the other three .

Quote[/b] ]I could mod the ninjastar line and assign it to muslim archers unit: it's known that muslim archers were better than their west counterparts. Or could I assign it to genoese sailors: they were crossbowmen, they were very well trained shooters (= more accuracy than standard Xbowmen) but they had a smaller crossbow (= less lethality).
    any suggestion?
    Quote[/b] ]You could , but as you only have one spare stat , you might want to simply use the standard crossbow stat and simply assume that the extra kills that can be attributed to the extra power of the full sized crossbow are actually happening because the Genoese Sailors are shooting more accurately {sort of susspend your disbelief on the issue}.
    I would sooner see you use that ninjastar weapon slot to create a generic compound bow for all archer units that historically used such weapons. I think it would be unfair to devote such a weapon solely to Muslim archer units but it makes perfect sense to give it to Janissary Archers and Infantry, Trebizond archers, Mongol cavalry, etc.

A quick solution would be to split the range, accuracy and velocity difference between a Longbow and a Shortbow, up the armor piercing capability a bit and voila.
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Quote[/b] (Spino @ Mar. 06 2003,16:32)]I would sooner see you use that ninjastar weapon slot to create a generic compound bow for all archer units that historically used such weapons. I think it would be unfair to devote such a weapon solely to Muslim archer units but it makes perfect sense to give it to Janissary Archers and Infantry, Trebizond archers, Mongol cavalry, etc.

A quick solution would be to split the range, accuracy and velocity difference between a Longbow and a Shortbow, up the armor piercing capability a bit and voila.
    That's precisely what I did with the Ninjastars stat : I made it for composite bows .
    I upped all infantry missiles accuracy a bit {they were not accurate enough for my liking} then modded Ninjastars draw length 25 {or whatever the standard for arrows is} , range 5500 , velocity 160 {and same velocity for Longbows} , accuracy .7 {same as for Short and Long Bows} , lethality .75 {same as I modded Longbows} , armour peircing .75 and so on .

I give them to some foot units {such as Jannisarys , Bulgarian Brigands , Trebizond Archers etc} and a very few cavalry {I can only remember giving them to Mongols , Mamluk Horse Archers and Sipahi of the Porte at present} . Some Cavalry archer units get Shortbow stats {such as Turcomans who were a cut above the basic standard} and have Mounted Longbow for the "Plain Vanilla" horse archers , Camel Jockies etc .

Quote[/b] ]That's precisely what I did with the Ninjastars stat : I made it for composite bows .
    I upped all infantry missiles accuracy a bit {they were not accurate enough for my liking} then modded Ninjastars draw length 25 {or whatever the standard for arrows is} , range 5500 , velocity 160 {and same velocity for Longbows} , accuracy .7 {same as for Short and Long Bows} , lethality .75 {same as I modded Longbows} , armour peircing .75 and so on .

I give them to some foot units {such as Jannisarys , Bulgarian Brigands , Trebizond Archers etc} and a very few cavalry {I can only remember giving them to Mongols , Mamluk Horse Archers and Sipahi of the Porte at present} . Some Cavalry archer units get Shortbow stats {such as Turcomans who were a cut above the basic standard} and have Mounted Longbow for the "Plain Vanilla" horse archers , Camel Jockies etc .
    LOL I did the same exact thing and used almost exactly the same values

However, I gave the Composite Bow to numerous units so I lowered the armor piercing ability to .85 instead of splitting the difference between the Short Bow and the Long Bow at .75. Had I only given this weapon to the Mongols I would have changed the value to .75 or better but it seems a tad too generous for your average Composite bow. Since the Accuracy and Lethality of the new Composite Bow (.6 & .63) is the same as the other infantry bows mounted units that wield this weapon will enjoy a considerable advantage over their counterparts.

Lastly, should I leave 'Try High' enabled (high angle shots) for the Composite Bow? As of right now the Short Bow is the only bow in MTW which cannot make high angle shots. Is this historical or even logical?

Here's a quick breakdown of who got what in my modifications:

SHORT BOW:
    - Genoese Sailors
    - Archers
    - Desert Archers
    - Turcoman Foot

COMPOSITE BOW:
    - Trebizond Archers
    - Bulgarian Brigands
    - Janissary Bows
    - Nizari
    - Futuwwa
    - Janissary Infantry
    - Ottoman Infantry
    - Golden Horde Warriors
    - Hashishin

- Mamluk Horse Archers (completely justified as they were serious badasses )
    - Byzantine Cavalry (I'm somewhat on the fence with these guys; they DO cost 400 and when dismounted turn into Trebizond Archers so...)
    - Golden Horde Archers
    - Sipahi of the Porte
    - Boyars (better justifies their cost and gives them a much needed boost in the Late Era)

LONGBOW:
    - Longbowmen (duh)

MOUNTED LONGBOW:
    - Turcopole
    - Berber Camel
    - Turcoman Horse
    - Horse Archers

If anyone disagrees with these changes and can back up their argument with historical and/or reasonable logic then by all means.... SAY SO

On a different note has anyone upped the range on Javelins and tested to see the effect is in battle? I rarely see javelin wielding infantry do much of anything in SP or MP games except get slaughtered. It seems that by the time they get close enough to use their javelins they get charged or run down, causing them to flee before they can let loose with a volley. This is especially problematic as the AI seems to purchase a fair number of javelin units in SP games. Spanish Jinetes on the other hand, are already pretty powerful as it is.

Let's hope CA gives us a few extra weapon slots for modding in VI

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Spino,

What you did is interesting; I'm considering something similar. Was there a reason for giving the desert archers and Turcoman foot short bows? I view these as the main enemies of the Crusaders and understand they were armed with composite bows.

On a related point, I wonder if there is a case for upping the mounted longbow stats, as all the units essentially were using composite bows? I guess there should be some penalty relative to foot composite bows, as it is probably harder to aim and pull on horseback, but the outcome may be more comparable to foot shortbows.

There seems little objective data on the performance of the weapons, however, probably because so few bows survived from the period.

Simon

I am very reluctant to give Desert Archers Composite Bows simply because they offer the Muslim factions a superior alternative to plain vanilla Archers. Desert Archers possess slightly better Morale, superior Speed and even wield a Small Shield for protection. The drawbacks to Desert Archers are their preference for 4 row deep formations and they cost a paltry 25 florins more than regular Archers... Since the Composite Bows I modeled do have some armor piercing capabilities I thought that would be a bit much for Desert Archers to have. I suppose giving the new Composite Bow to Turcoman Foot and Horse might be the sensible thing to do but those relatively inexpensive units would then enjoy the increased accuracy and armor piercing abilities that only elite mounted units now enjoy (Byzantine Cavalry excepted, and I'm still on the fence with respect to those guys). I was also tempted to give Short Bows to the inexpensive Ottoman Infantry but that would really put the AI controlled Turks at a disadvantage in Late Era games. What I really need is three more weapon slots so I can create a Mounted Composite Bow counterpart to the new Composite Bow (with lowered accuracy like the Mounted Longbow), and two non-armor piercing Composite Bows for both foot and mounted units.

On the javelin issue I increased the Range to 2000 and upped the Velocity to 90 and what a difference it made I set a bunch of Kerns against Murabitin and there was very little running back and forth without firing as with previous javelin exchanges. With the previous range of 1500 the AI was at a serious disadvantage with such troops because they are almost always in Skirmish mode and rarely ever got to work their magic in the face of a determined human opponent (for the most part they rarely got off the first volley before running away from their target) but now they can get off a volley or two before running to safety. Since 5000 distance units represents 100 meters then 2000 is not such a big deal. Perhaps 2000 might turn out to be too generous a distance but I must say those javelin exchanges I saw last night looked and felt right. In all fairness I did not do much testing but tonight I will create a series of battles that feature javelin units in a variety of situations.

With regard to using slots for
    weapons they are not coded for.
    When I stated that you could only use
    the ones that fitted or were paired with certain animations
    like arrows in arrow slots for example.
    Well that's only if you want
    to keep the original units
    and graphics.

If you remove all the things you don't
    want from the exploge.tga then you could make all the
    arrows slots guns slots and no arrows will
    show because you have removed
    the graphic.
    The torch could be made a gun that was
    available to all units for example.

So if you are planning on removing weapons
    and replacing them with other ones
    and you don't care about loosing the old one
    well you can do a lot more then.

I hope this is clearer
    (as I wait for next confused email)

LK

I got around the Ottoman Infantry being weak with shortbows {instead of composite bows} by simply making them stronger . They seemed very little like their parchment description : well trained , well armed and armoured and able to match most other infantry . I increased their melee to 3 {I figure if they are well trained , then they should use their hand axes about as well as the Vikings} , defense to 4$ with sheild {well trained means in defensive skills also : parrying/blocking and they are supposed to be well armoured} and armour to 5$ with sheild {again , well armoured} then honour to 2 {well trained professionals have decent morale} and I think I increased their charge bonus to sit with the other improvements .
    Now Ottoman Infantry fit their parchment description and what I understand of them in history ; they can hold their own in a pure infantry role in the late period {I'm modding from the base of Wes' Medmod IV 1.7 and I put them back in late period} so I can give then shortbows without weakening the Late Turks .
    I figure not all composite bows are made equal : some will be well made and be powerful , but I figure cheap "government issue" for mere line infantry {Ottoman Infantry} might be only as powerful as short bows due to shoddy materials/quality control . They were just grunts afterall {as I percieve the was their masters looked on them} and not as lavishly equipted as the Jannisarys .

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

3 words: Naptha Grenade Launcher

Range: 9300
    Velocity: 1000
    BIG explosion

of course i modded back after seeing its sheer unfairness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123