Poll: What about you?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sexual Orientation?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

Wink Sexual Orientation?

Well, is there any LGBT who were active members here? No joke please, since I want to gain several useful first hand informations for writing an essay about why LGBT rights is an integral parts of human rights (for a student's seminar next month, not exactly an academic event, but was under Student Movements for human rights discussion). Currently, we have no laws regarding marriage equality and LGBT rights, Homosexual persons may do their actifities, but social stigma of them is extremely high, even without legal punishments. And actually, there was a movement to criminalize LGBT persons here.

I'd like to have some good source to read and think about:
    1) LGBT movements in principles, and the evidence of what so called "gay gene" (don't worry if it point out to genetical biology discussion, that would be much better since I comes from science background)
    2) "Gay Marriage", and the corresponding values to normal "Family Value Marriage"
    3) Why "normal, heterosexual" people should refrain from insulting LGBT people? because recently, the word "gay, fag, etc" often used in very degratory ways as a generic sarcasm.

Angkara Murka di Macapada

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Sexual Orientation?

Used to be against it but changed my mind, saw a provocation where there wasn't any. I think most of the resistance comes down to the feeling of meddling, 'you can' or 'you should'.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Maybe if we flood the poll with phony votes we could make a LGBT flag?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Um, private poll for sensetive issue?

In any case, being "anti-gay marriage" doesn't make one anti-gay... there aren't enough poll options.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Wheres the "I'll throw in in anything with a hole" option?

Discriminatory IMO
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

even a douche bag?

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I'm very open minded, and my sexual orientation is very broad. I'll do anything, whether straight girls or lesbians.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

I usually don't like to share elements from my personal life on teh interwebs, but here is my experience with the social implications of homosexuality.

About two years ago a good friend came out to me. It was slightly shocking as he did not fit the stereotype I had in my head of what a gay person was at all. We connected through a shared interest in military history (he thinks America is the best, but I forgive him) and guns. In many ways he is more of a typical 'guy' than me. He likes sports, beer, and Skoal, none of which I can abide. From hearing about the mental torture he put himself through for years trying to be straight, I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not a choice, regardless of whether it is genetic or formed in early childhood.

Since then, I have witnessed how he has been treated by some of his family and his church, and it has been nothing short of awful. He was kicked out of both his home and congregation for his 'disgusting' behavior, with threats of eternal damnation just for good measure. These people who profess to be a loving community were not content to abandon him, but harassed him for months after he left - all the time under the guise of trying to help him. And the thing is, after he came out, he didn't change. He didn't suddenly don a tiny speedo and march in the Gay pride parade. He didn't flaunt his sexuality in the least. They changed, and for no other reason than the fact that he was brave and stupid enough to want his 'family' to know who he really was.

I used to think that religious aversion to homosexuality was based on the stereotypes of rampant promiscuity, femininity, and some sort of apocalyptic breakdown of society a la Sodom from the bible. What I have learned is that religious people just don't like gay people, period. It doesn't matter how they look or act, and it certainly doesn't matter how devoted they are to their faith. Religion and scripture are a big cover for hate: unbridled, unwarranted, and unjustified hate. My friend is a kind, decent, good person, and the best Christian that I know.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 10-13-2010 at 18:43.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

wait, you dont drink beer?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I usually don't like to share elements from my personal life on teh interwebs, but here is my experience with the social implications of homosexuality.

About two years ago a good friend came out to me. It was slightly shocking as he did not fit the stereotype I had in my head of what a gay person was at all. We connected through a shared interest in military history (he thinks America is the best, but I forgive him) and guns. In many ways he is more of a typical 'guy' than me. He likes sports, beer, and Skoal, none of which I can abide. From hearing about the mental torture he put himself through for years trying to be straight, I am convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is not a choice, regardless of whether it is genetic or formed in early childhood.

Since then, I have witnessed how he has been treated by some of his family and his church, and it has been nothing short of awful. He was kicked out of both his home and congregation for his 'disgusting' behavior, with threats of eternal damnation just for good measure. These people who profess to be a loving community were not content to abandon him, but harassed him for months after he left - all the time under the guise of trying to help him. And the thing is, after he came out, he didn't change. He didn't suddenly don a tiny speedo and march in the Gay pride parade. He didn't flaunt his sexuality in the least. They changed, and for no other reason than the fact that he was brave and stupid enough to want his 'family' to know who he really was.

I used to think that religious aversion to homosexuality was based on the stereotypes of rampant promiscuity, femininity, and some sort of apocalyptic breakdown of society a la Sodom from the bible. What I have learned is that religious people just don't like gay people, period. It doesn't matter how they look or act, and it certainly doesn't matter how devoted they are to their faith. Religion and scripture are a big cover for hate: unbridled, unwarranted, and unjustified hate. My friend is a kind, decent, good person, and the best Christian that I know.
    These sort of stories support what I already think, it still isn't ok to be homosexual. No, I'm not homophobic, but the main stream of society seems to be. Sure, the media culture and society as a whole may be more tolerant, but there are some places were being gay simply isn't acceptable. Places like Africa actually seem to be going the other way which is even more concerning.

Quite frankly, the religious types who harass people over sexuality are scum. I can't comprehend how people can view being gay as a "choice". Why would anyone choose to isolate them self from the main stream of society or choose to be stared at every time they go out with their partner. If someone believes it's a choice,they need their head examining in my opinion.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Well I think it is immoral, an unpopular view but what can you do, I don't see why consent should be the only basis for morality.

I also don't see why whether or not it is a choice is relevant, and I don't understand the fascination of the religious right with calling it a choice, you would think from the way they argue that Christianity was a religion of works.

But that doesn't give me a right to harass them. Still, I don't have to respect their sexuality any more than they should have to respect my religion.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

What's an LGBT anyway? It sounds like some fancy new bomb of the USAF.
    I've got nothing against giving gay couples marriage status from the state, but I'm against forcing religious groups to do the same, so I'm against an equal status of gay marriage, unless the topic was meant in a political sense only, but that didn't seem specified in the poll, so yeah, I'm a bit backwards but mommy says that's okay.
    Oh, where were we again?
    Yeah, it's okay, but the poll was a bit black or white while I'm very colourful.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Women are very beautiful and lusty.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    What's an LGBT anyway?
    LGBT stands for Large Gay Black Tapdancer.

Some people consider it a real turn on, and I must admit, I can well see why.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Well I think it is immoral, an unpopular view but what can you do, I don't see why consent should be the only basis for morality.

I also don't see why whether or not it is a choice is relevant, and I don't understand the fascination of the religious right with calling it a choice, you would think from the way they argue that Christianity was a religion of works.

But that doesn't give me a right to harass them. Still, I don't have to respect their sexuality any more than they should have to respect my religion.
    Sounds perfectly fine to me. I am allergic to 'you should', the only thing people should do is minding their own business.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What's an LGBT anyway?
    Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual and Transgender

I think so at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

I think so at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    What's an LGBT anyway? It sounds like some fancy new bomb of the USAF.
    Laser Guided Booty Tapper.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    I can feel your pain if you're all that at once...

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm straight and find it disgusting. Bad enough seeing guys kissing each other in public. You really want a gay man marrying a woman who used to be a man?

I find that unlikely. For starters were I a gay man I doubt I'd be marrying a woman who used to be (physically at least) a man. It just doesn't seem like our sexual preferences would align, though a threesome might still be possible....
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I can feel your pain if you're all that at once...
    Which is why the operator is XOR rather than AND.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Um, private poll for sensitive issues?
    Why so? If you hold a particular opinion, you should be able to express it boldly, also, you should be able to fully justify and account for that said opinion.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Why so? If you hold a particular opinion, you should be able to express it boldly, also, you should be able to fully justify and account for that said opinion.
    The sensitive issue part being the lgdb part...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    The sensitive issue part being the lgdb part...
    Oh, I thought it was the being accused of a homophobe part. I didn't see any problems with some one saying they are gay, then again, I don't care if they are or not...
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I think it's at least a little ironic that in your post against stereotyping and bigotry towards gays, you engage in stereotyping and prejudice towards other groups.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    I think it's at least a little ironic that in your post against stereotyping and bigotry towards gays, you engage in stereotyping and prejudice towards other groups.
    That did occur to me. However, it also occurred to me that Christians choose to embrace an ideology that makes an innate human characteristic sinful through its principle text, which is fundamentally abhorent. And unlike the consumption of shellfish, Christianity has seen fit to enforce that particular outdated, intrusive dictate. In contrast to homosexuality, being Christian is a choice and Christians can be held liable for what they choose to believe.

I will ammend the above text. Replace 'religious people' with 'religious people who follow biblical directives'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Which is why the operator is XOR rather than AND.
    Didn't say so on the package.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

I thought it was very heartening that someone who usually holds such dodgy (imo) opinions, could step back and see things from this perspective. I was so impressed I almost took him off ignore!
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

That did occur to me. However, it also occurred to me that Christians choose to embrace an ideology that makes an innate human characteristic sinful through its principle text, which is fundamentally abhorent.I will ammend the above text. Replace 'religious people' with 'religious people who follow biblical directives'.
    It's not the "characteristic", it's the behavior. Promiscuity and pre-marital sex are universally frowned on by any Christian denomination I know of. This applies to hetero or homosexuals.

Of course, there are those who take it to a hypocritical extreme and use it as an excuse for harsh treatment- but you can't damn an entire religion for a minority that twist its teachings
    Last edited by Xiahou; 10-15-2010 at 15:21.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Of course, there are those who take it to a hypocritical extreme and use it as an excuse for harsh treatment- but you can't damn an entire religion for a minority that twist its teachings
    Sorry, but Religion is not above criticism, this is the 21st Century, not the 14th. Especially as it is the majority that follow this view and not the minority. Religions are nothing special, they are myths and fairy tales, akin to Santa Claus but with a stronger commitment and dogmatic criteria.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast