Thread: CTD on Eleutheroi captial seizure

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default CTD on Eleutheroi captial seizure

I'm down at 213BC in my game, I don't think the details are terribly important in terms of what I'm doing. On the AI turn, the Romani assault Aventicos, which is the Eleutheroi capital. On taking it (which they have always managed to), the game crashes to the desktop.

I've tried bribing the army out of existence. I've tried moving them. I've added to the garrison so it's maxed out (and they still win). There are two units they can't have (Sotaroas I added, turns out the rebels can't recruit them), but I don't think that matters on autocalc.

Is there anything else I can do to stop the Romans taking it?

I don't get an error message, even though I chose that option on the config, I never get any.

If it comes to it, I have an earlier save, is there any way of moving the Eleutheroi capital so this can't happen again? Could I make that unreachable settlement in the Sahara massive, and so become the capital by default?

Help!
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: CTD on Eleutheroi captial seizure

I would have thought, unless it messes with its other function (that of tracking in-game progress by way of having various nonsense buildings placed in it as you play), that Terhaza should be the Eleu capital by default anyway, just to prevent the vauge possibility of something like this from happening... Why it isn't is anyone's guess (unless, as I said, it messes with the city's scripting duties)...

You could try spawning another Eleu army next to the city (or moving an already existing one) so that the garrison has reinforcements when the Romani assault it...

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

toggle_fow and disable fast moving (space bar), you will now be able to watch all AI movement, open the console and type auto_win defender (do not press enter afterwards), then wait until the Roman army starts its attack-animation, press enter-->the battle is won by the defenders
    The Eleutheroi capital is something I doubt even CA knows about exactly what it is doing exactly for gameplay....
    If the above doesn't work, teleport an own army near the Roman and end the siege.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

I've reverted to an earlier save, but of course the Romans are still keen as ever to take Aventicos. Can't even teleport them away because of damned Roman internal names and multiple captains with the same name.

Might have to resort to attacking them myself to drive them off. I've been adding population to Terhazza, will that make it the Eleutheroi capital eventually? Or does the slave AI have to build something there to make the switch (it's a town right now, so won't have a city's government building)?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

As far as I know location of a faction's capital is based on a "distance to capital" penalty. AI decides witch city beeing capital will have this penalty as low as possible and designate this one as capital. So capital city is always somwhere near the geographical center of AI controlled faction. There was even a program, I think for vanilla, that allowed you to check it for your faction - it was based on a map with regions, you marked regions you controlled and the program told you wich city should be Capital to have least possible "distance to capital" penalty.
    Unfortunatelly for you, upgrading Terhazza will not do.

Add some good units with max upgrades, for examle Samnite Milites, and Eleutheroi will win or teleport and beef up other Eeutheroi stack as Captain Trek advised

Seeing that you tried (first post), do not try to teleport any army that is sieging a city or is in a city - it will cause strange things. Also do not teleport any army into a city.

G
    Last edited by Gugus; 10-14-2010 at 12:59.

I've been adding Neitos with max experience, but normal other upgrades to the garrison there, I've just moved another stack nearby which seems to have averted the immediate danger. I've also done some FD to take Cisalpine Gaul from the Romans and give them something else to worry about.

Hmm, shame I can't do anything about the location of the Eleutheroi capital.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Actually there is one way to change it. You have to add population to a certain cluster of Eleutheroi cities (if available) and the results of the AI's formula will change. The AI will now move its capital to the new 'ideal' position.
    However, you may not achieve any results if there are few Eleutheroi cities.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Loss of rebel cities in north Africa and the British Isles seems to have changed the calculation - the capital has moved to Iuvavoaeta. Which is conveniently guarded by that respawning stack that's part of the central European defense, so my reloaded game may be safe for a while longer now.