Thread: What factions gives you a fun boost and why?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What factions gives you a fun boost and why?

Hello ,

I've been playing EB for quite a while now and i think i tried almost all factions. I've played them methodically to such extent that factions such as Saka or Pontos have no challenge anymore.

Lately , i've tried playing the Casse and trying to establish a Belgae empire by capturing the 2 belgae provinces first . After managing that i've tried to expand into Aedui lands and also get some germanic rebel provinces with seaside opening including "Denmark". But that put me in a whole lot of trouble with both Aedui and Sweboz , conflict that proved to be a regular Bloodbath. I mean , my cities literary can't grow becouse i'm recruiting like mad.
    the momentum going back and forth is amazing and gave me a hell of an adrenaline rush.

Also , tried the Lusotann but imposed on me the rule that i would only adopt ambush tacs. I would never have imagined how fun setting an ambush and springing the trap can be. I mean , it is so much different than using the typical infantry line + ranged units which gets soo boring sometimes.

A great surprise was when i started to play Sauromatae. I set my objective to move all Sauromatae to Iberia using no cheats , just fighting power. I couldn't explain in words the satisfaction i got when i managed to beat those pesky Romans , crush their lands and pillage rome , destroying all buildings. Also , crossing the alps and pirineis was a doozy.

Now my question . can anyone suggest similar fun kicks? And i don't mean fighting countless grey death stacks:)

Default Re: What factions gives you a fun boost and why?

Migration campaigns, kinda like the one you've done yourself, but by using the "move_character" cheat. Fun ones, are moving greece or eperios to Pergamon, syracuse or massilia. (or alternatively, crimea, but you can move pontos there too). Or moving one of the gaullish factions to thracia/galatia :)

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Migration campaigns, kinda like the one you've done yourself, but by using the "move_character" cheat. Fun ones, are moving greece or eperios to Pergamon, syracuse or massilia. (or alternatively, crimea, but you can move pontos there too). Or moving one of the gaullish factions to thracia/galatia :)
    This, basically. I find migration campaigns to play the factions that didn't make it into EB the most fun. Especially Hellenic fusions; Pergamon with its Thracian and Galatian elements, Massalia with Gallic elements, the Bosphoran Kingdom with Scythian elements, Kyrene with African elements.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I had a lot of fun with Baktria, becoming a Greco-Indian kingdom... just holding the indian provinces, not the actual baktrian ones. Indian and greco-indian units rock!
    Another one i'd like to try is a Saka-Rauka in India game. But i have my doubts as to how that would work since i don't quite know what's the effect of the Saka reforms, but it would be fun to trigger them during an exodus to India... and then rainding the Seleukid Empire, and the Saba and Ptolemies by sea!
    When God said "Let light be made!", Marx answered: "Say please."

I use this avatar not because i'm persian. But because i have a pink pijama.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabicho View Post
    I had a lot of fun with Baktria, becoming a Greco-Indian kingdom... just holding the indian provinces, not the actual baktrian ones. Indian and greco-indian units rock!
    Another one i'd like to try is a Saka-Rauka in India game. But i have my doubts as to how that would work since i don't quite know what's the effect of the Saka reforms, but it would be fun to trigger them during an exodus to India... and then rainding the Seleukid Empire, and the Saba and Ptolemies by sea!
    Ye , i should know , i reprresented Baktria in Mp July tournament this year so i know their units too well , i reckon. Especially those Sreni and Indo-hellenikoi peltastai.

Last night i packed all Carthage FM 's and armies into boats and moved them into South Britain. Don't know how it will progress , but it feels pretty epic so far fighting stacks of wild celts with libians and iberians in Britain. I also let rebel my old possesions including Carthage so i cannot afford to lose my army consisting of 1 stack and a half. mercs are pretty rare , at leat until i reach mid Britain.
    I expect to make a great trade empire there with advanced roads & stuff , really curious what the armies will look like. Probably a lot of goidillic & belgae units with some Carthage stuff.

Believe it or not, starting up a new fairly standard Saba campaign on H/M has given me a "fun boost". You see, I was inspired to play as them after reading threads were many players decried the faction for its sub-par units and overall lack of fun and when I found that I was enjoying myself even when the first decade or so seemed to drag a little bit, it was quite a carthatic sensation knowing that I was having fun playing as a faction it seems every other EB player and his dog can't stand. Indeed, right now I've just taken Sinai and am hopping I can sidestep the 'Ptolly army sitting in Egypt (luckily for me, most of their forces are busy up north ripping chunks out of the AS) and grab Alexandria before those over-confident pseudo-Greeks know what the ****...
    Last edited by Ludens; 10-20-2010 at 10:43. Reason: language