Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US slips to 49th in life expectancy

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: US slips to 49th in life expectancy

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    You mean you give money to those Islamic infiltrators?! I'm shocked and appalled Fragony.
    You forgot predictable, my daily reality may differ a bit from your expectations.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    Well fruit sugar is fructose and sugar from sweets is sucrose, but they are essentially the same (appart from fructose tasting sweeter) which is why he said that we should avoid eating too much fruit. Fruit is the better choice though because it has other stuff, whereas sweets are almost all sugar.

EDIT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#Health_benefits
    An apple for example has carbs, fibre, protein, and various vitamins, with sugar only being about 10%. That sugar is the same as what's in a sweet, but the apple overall is much better than the sweet
    While it is true the both pack on the same calories Sucrose lowers insulin sensitivty which is at the spearhead of diabetes and viscreal. Also the fat is mostly visceral which is top of the list when talking about heart dieasese.

An Orange also has only 9g of sugar while one Resses cup has 25.

You will get sick of eating fruit before the sugar reaches levels where it is akin to candy

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    You forgot predictable, my daily reality may differ a bit from your expectations.
    I always assumed cats, video games, and degenerate Dutch sex on a house boat. Am I close?
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Well but also meat and veggies at the local Turk. And a houseboat I wish that was so, that floating astma attack is only 7 meters long and purely for recreational purposes.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Why should pork be avoided at all costs?
    Why such a reduction of carbs?
    Could you explain to me the difference in fruit sugar and candy sugar and how the body processes them differently?

Or are you just parroting?
    Pork - high amount of fat in general
    Carbs - that's why rice/potatoes are there
    The exact chemical process? No. Fruit is generally good source of vitamins and other useful stuff, but everything in moderation.

It depends on the person of course, some people want to lose weight, gain weight, become more muscular etc... This obviously isn't a diet, just a quick overview for people who don't wanna be bothered with researching that stuff themselves?

Is there something wrong with it?

Or are you just trying to appear smart?

I don't do any of that heathwatching, but pasta has been recommended to me many a time for being healthy, why avoid it? Knew pork is bad but bacon is tasty.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Off topic, but are there any Asian butcher's near you? They sell meat cheaper than most other places, especially "Western" cuts, as they tend to use the tougher more flavoursome meat over the "Western" preferred cuts. So you can get a couple kilos of rump for $30-40. But yes, buying 10 kilos of unwashed potatoes is the way to go, or any other veggies for that matter, so cheap!
    No need to go to such trouble just ask your local butcher for those type of cuts of meat that is what butchery is about after all.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    Pork - high amount of fat in general
    Carbs - that's why rice/potatoes are there
    The exact chemical process? No. Fruit is generally good source of vitamins and other useful stuff, but everything in moderation.

It depends on the person of course, some people want to lose weight, gain weight, become more muscular etc... This obviously isn't a diet, just a quick overview for people who don't wanna be bothered with researching that stuff themselves?

Or are you just trying to appear smart?
    Pork has a high amount of fat but who cares? You need fat in your life and pork can add some spice to the rather bland meat offerings many people substitute. I'm not saying make it a staple but fears about a "high fat content" (A statment which can be applied to many different things with different meanings) are unfounded and quite frankly crap advice.

But why is pasta so inferior to rice? I will agree that the normally propagated 8-11 servings of bread is insane and people who subscribe to a paleolithic diet rarley eat any carbs at all but if you are going to eat them (which I do) you need some complex carbs like bread and pasta as these sustain energy longer than rice while mainting less of a serving size.

The fruit has already been touched on I don't feel I need to rehash it.

This obviously isn't a diet, just a quick overview for people who don't wanna be bothered with researching that stuff themselves?
    So something you do everyday, multiple times a day, which has an consqeunces for how your life unfolds is not bothered to be researched and understood? Are you serious?

Yes
    Or are you just trying to appear smart
    It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with people propagating hearsay as fact.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Oh Ye, wheat and rice eaters! Forget else and start eating rye as main source of carbs. Rye has lot more fiber then the rest of cereals and it even makes for best tasting bread there is. Rye has been for far too long the little secret of Eastern and Northern Europeans.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Mmm, crispbread with vegemite is absolutely delicious. I much prefer rye bread too, wheat bread just tastes so plain in comparison, only problem is that it usually costs more. I've never had it used like rice though. I'll have to have a look and see if I can find any like that.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Mmm, crispbread with vegemite is absolutely delicious. I much prefer rye bread too, wheat bread just tastes so plain in comparison, only problem is that it usually costs more. I've never had it used like rice though. I'll have to have a look and see if I can find any like that.
    You just had to say it. Didn't you?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Pork has a high amount of fat but who cares? You need fat in your life and pork can add some spice to the rather bland meat offerings many people substitute. I'm not saying make it a staple but fears about a "high fat content" (A statment which can be applied to many different things with different meanings) are unfounded and quite frankly crap advice.
    So you're saying that pork indeed has a high amount of fat but it is crap advice anyway?

Chicken tastes far better in my opinion. If you like pork, knock yourself out. Just don't go around telling people they speak crap because you like pork.

But why is pasta so inferior to rice? I will agree that the normally propagated 8-11 servings of bread is insane and people who subscribe to a paleolithic diet rarley eat any carbs at all but if you are going to eat them (which I do) you need some complex carbs like bread and pasta as these sustain energy longer than rice while mainting less of a serving size.
    Again, I wasn't writing about a specific diet, it depends on the person and what they do in life. There are eggs in pasta, and the most popular italian pasta is often served with high fat cheese and different sauces. I wasn't trying to teach you anything, I was just commenting on what people generally eat, and most often think that pasta is healthy, in a sense, let's eat more of it. It is not, everything in moderation.

So something you do everyday, multiple times a day, which has an consqeunces for how your life unfolds is not bothered to be researched and understood? Are you serious?
    I know where and from who I get my information, don't you worry about me. I wrote a quick overview for people that can't be bothered with but want to know the basic stuff. That wasn't written for people who exercise regularly, like yourself, who hopefully know much, much more and have their diet suited to themselves and their way of life. Unfortunately, most people don't know practically anything and they eat junk everyday.

Yes
    What? What's wrong with it? Where's the mistake?

It has nothing to do with that. It has everything to do with people propagating hearsay as fact.
    Somehow I don't believe you. I wrote in a very generalized way, warned people that there is indeed sugar in fruit, and you asked me the difference between candy sugar and fruit sugar? You admit that pork has higher amount of fat than let's say chicken but you say that you find other types of meat bland?

To each his own, I guess. You advise people people to eat pork and pasta (throw in some cheese and bacon) and I'll advise them to eat chicken and rice. In this case, I'll take my hearsay over your facts.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 10-21-2010 at 09:37.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Oh Ye, wheat and rice eaters! Forget else and start eating rye as main source of carbs. Rye has lot more fiber then the rest of cereals and it even makes for best tasting bread there is. Rye has been for far too long the little secret of Eastern and Northern Europeans.
    Not to mention getting off on Saint Anthony's Fire. I prefer my grains in liquid form, besides, growing old & gray is over rated anyway.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Not to mention getting off on Saint Anthony's Fire. I prefer my grains in liquid form, besides, growing old & gray is over rated anyway.
    With enough vodka. You wont even notice such symptoms.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Mmm, crispbread with vegemite is absolutely delicious.
    Oh dear yes, fresh toast, butter, and a thin spread... absolutely delicious haters be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    So you're saying that pork indeed has a high amount of fat but it is crap advice anyway?

Chicken tastes far better in my opinion. If you like pork, knock yourself out. Just don't go around telling people they speak crap because you like pork
    lol, You are still assuming fat=bad. You also assume that I like pork so I tell people to eat it. Thats not what I said.

Again, I wasn't writing about a specific diet, it depends on the person and what they do in life. There are eggs in pasta, and the most popular italian pasta is often served with high fat cheese and different sauces. I wasn't trying to teach you anything, I was just commenting on what people generally eat, and most often think that pasta is healthy, in a sense, let's eat more of it. It is not, everything in moderation.
    Pasta in and of itself is fairly healthy and a great source of energy, You never mentioned cheese or sauces just pasta. You never mentioned why rice is better or why pasta is poor

I know where and from who I get my information, don't you worry about me. I wrote a quick overview for people that can't be bothered with but want to know the basic stuff. That wasn't written for people who exercise regularly, like yourself, who hopefully know much, much more and have their diet suited to themselves and their way of life. Unfortunately, most people don't know practically anything and they eat junk everyday.
    Yes excpet your information is simplistic and wrong

Somehow I don't believe you. I wrote in a very generalized way, warned people that there is indeed sugar in fruit, and you asked me the difference between candy sugar and fruit sugar? You admit that pork has higher amount of fat than let's say chicken but you say that you find other types of meat bland?

To each his own, I guess. You advise people people to eat pork and pasta (throw in some cheese and bacon) and I'll advise them to eat chicken and rice. In this case, I'll take my hearsay over your facts.
    The fact you keep hammrering pork fat (which on a chop or loin is actually pretty good fat) shows your ignorance. I never said throw in cheese or bacon.

All I did was challenge your points and all you did was come at me with strawmen. Nice try

There's nothing wrong with high fat foods. You just have to use some common sense and say "well this looks quite small but it's actually a whole meal".

lol, You are still assuming fat=bad. You also assume that I like pork so I tell people to eat it. Thats not what I said.
    lol, You said that even though pork has a high amount of what but that it's good compared to bland supplements people eat. Do I really have to quote you on the same page?

Pork has a high amount of fat but who cares? You need fat in your life and pork can add some spice to the rather bland meat offerings many people substitute
    Pasta in and of itself is fairly healthy and a great source of energy, You never mentioned cheese or sauces just pasta. You never mentioned why rice is better or why pasta is poor
    Yes, and show me an average Joe who eats just pasta by itself

Yes excpet your information is simplistic and wrong
    Simplistic yes (intentionally), wrong no.

The fact you keep hammrering pork fat (which on a chop or loin is actually pretty good fat) shows your ignorance. I never said throw in cheese or bacon.
    I didn't go into details. Most people will find too much fat in what they eat everyday. Avoiding pork is sensible, especially when there are so many other variants of meat and sources of protein, many of them being (imho) much tastier.

All I did was challenge your points and all you did was come at me with strawmen. Nice try
    Funny cause it seems to me it was other way around.

Gentlemen; I believe we are witness to a new genre of food fighting.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

- Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Heh heh, this is pretty dope. I'm actually re-balancing my food budget right now, yo!

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We got to lay off the stress and fast food!

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

nuff said.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post

nuff said.
    Well said, by someone who's half a world away in a country nobody cares about.

The "socialist/liberal" healthcare system isn't keeping anyone alive; it's on life support itself.

Down with dried flowers!

"Give me your fat, lazy, ignorant..." etc would suggest that those people are Europeans trying to immigrate to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post

The "socialist/liberal" healthcare system isn't keeping anyone alive; it's on life support itself.
    Without Portugal we would have no cork farmers

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post

the value of world attention is largely overrated.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    the value of world attention is largely overrated.
    I suppose Iraq and Afghanistan would prefer less U.S. attention.

(sorry, funny thought; not related to Portugal)

Down with dried flowers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12