Thread: The Korean War - The next big topic

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Default The Korean War - The next big topic

Just in the middle of Max Hastings - The Korean War and a fine read it is.

What comes across clearly is that the US repeats a number of mistakes over and over, through Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. My feeling is that the Korean war will come under much closer scrutiny, and see a revival of interest in the next few years.

Firstly: favouring personalities, key men, over movements. There is a preference to have 'their man' someone they can rely on in charge, and a grave suspicion of movements or ideologies. Be it Re or Karzai.

Secondly: a tendancy to impose a simple narrative onto what is often a much more complex situation. They are not anti-communist, therefore we much oppose them. They are not anti-islamic, therefore we must oppose them.

Thirdly: choosing allies poorly and overlooking how dreadful they are. Propping up the S Korean government despite how brutal and corrupt it was.

Fourthly: At a troop level, not being able to cope with civil war. They are all 'gooks' or they are all 'hajis'. No appetite amongst the troops to see the complexities.

Fifthly: Constant friendly fire incidents!
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Korean War - The next big topic

It was their approach in WW2 in the Pacific and it appeared to work and so they've not changed it since.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Blah blah I'm English son, I've been around the block, I know more than you blah Blah
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you for taking the time to post. Feel free in future to save your time.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Thirdly: choosing allies poorly and overlooking how dreadful they are. Propping up the S Korean government despite how brutal and corrupt it was.
    You have to admit that while these right-wing regimes were nasty at the time, they've at least ended up in democracies only a few decades later.

Look at China/Taiwan, both were historically one state. The nationalists and the communists were as bad as each other, nationalists were maybe even worse, but over time they made Taiwan a decent place to live, while China was run into the ground.

I'm not saying the far right are 'better' than the left in and of themselves, but by doing things like creating a centralised nation state and allowing a middle class to develop, they create the conditions needed for democracy to flourish.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

You have to admit that while these right-wing regimes were nasty at the time, they've at least ended up in democracies only a few decades later.
    The ends do not justify the means, for me. Perhaps it does for the rest of the world, but it's a negative approach.

But sure, shall we say the same about Iraq? Oh wait, speaking about Iraq..
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I'm not saying the far right are 'better' than the left in and of themselves, but by doing things like creating a centralised nation state and allowing a middle class to develop, they create the conditions needed for democracy to flourish.
    If they do not immediately kill of any dissidents that is. Look at Nazi Germany or those Nationalists prior to being evicted from mainland China.... There's little creating of conditions for democracy to flourish, everything was done to suppress any voice of dissent.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

If Afghanistan and/or Iraq end up like South Korea, we'll have done our job and done it well.

Senior Member Senior Member Idaho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post

Look at China/Taiwan, both were historically one state. The nationalists and the communists were as bad as each other, nationalists were maybe even worse, but over time they made Taiwan a decent place to live, while China was run into the ground.

It's a fair point, and one I accept. It feeds into my wider political agnosticism. I increasingly agree with Churchill:
    It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried
    The current situation wasn't the intention of the anticommunists - that's the problem. The rightists motivations at the time were negative rather than positive.
    "The republicans will draft your kids, poison the air and water, take away your social security and burn down black churches if elected." Gawain of Orkney

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
    Just in the middle of Max Hastings - The Korean War and a fine read it is.
    Great book. I read that nearly two decades ago. The Korean War was more large scale than most people thought. It was one of those wars that had human wave tactics going on. And it wasn't just soldiers. There were tanks and jet planes on both sides involved.
    Wooooo!!!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

BTW, now the Korean Wars is the most productive wars Americans ever fought, having sucessfully liberating South Koreans as economic tiger and Game Masters, and restore the Majestic Monarchy of the North Koreans under the guidance of Kim dynasty.

So, in respect for Iraq and Afghanistans, bet they'll end up divided but better as well.

Oh yeah, what about the future war on Iran? have you found their nukes? Americans?
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Oh yeah, what about the future war on Iran?
    No way. They wouldn't do that. Iran is no Afghanistan or Iraq.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    No way. They wouldn't do that. Iran is no Afghanistan or Iraq.
    I'll sent you a big cart of Bali Hai Beer if America Finally had the gut to invade Iran Hax... big cart, delivered via DHL to your front door.
    American invasion against Iran won't happened*, trust me.

*. Unless Israel provoke Iran first, and goading Americans to invade Iran... that way, no beer for ya...
    Last edited by Cute Wolf; 10-26-2010 at 15:29.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I don't drink alcohol. Remember the precepts?

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Oh, sorry... so I'll gave you several traditional tropical herbs at your own choie if American invasion happened without Israel goading them first.

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

You're on, man!