Thread: Random Rant: Why I Think PS3 Made Less Money Than They Expected

Default Random Rant: Why I Think PS3 Made Less Money Than They Expected

Every old version PS3 owner I know of had to get their PS3s fixed before their warranty expired. They all got it fixed for free. It was all for the same reason and the costs were quite expensive for the PS3 company. What happened was that an overheating issue broke down a vital part. (The PS3 has a loud fan but apparently that isn't enough). This is the second time I had to fix my PS3. It's possible that the majority of old PS3 owners bought the newer slim ones. This would've given PS3 more profit. I personally think most of the old PS3 owners didn't and wisely gave up on the PS3.

I heard that there was a similar problem with the X-Box except the fan was stronger. Thus, it didn't break down as easily as the PS3. The blue ray needed a more powerful fan, but the PS3's fan was weaker.

Another problem that you all are aware of was that the PS3 started much later than the X-Box. PS3 needed more time because of the blue ray. As a result, the X-Box has more games than the PS3 does, and most of the games appeared in the X-Box first.

PS3 had a loyal fan base who bought the old ones on the day it first got sold in stores. Now I think most will prefer to wait a long time (if it gets manufactured) before they buy a PS4 if they ever do buy it.

What gets to me is that we can't trust modern consoles and most softwares in their early versions. We're the ones who test these things and we're the ones who pay for it. This is a warning to those who are thinking of buying the old version PS3.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 10-21-2010 at 11:01.
    Wooooo!!!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Random Rant: Why I Think PS3 Made Less Money Than They Expected

No problems so far, but with Apple Sony has to be the most annoying company EVER. I can't stand that guru bull of Apple, and I lost count of how many times Sony's [insert] WILL CHANGE HOW WE THINK ABOUT [insert] FOREVER. Still waiting for just about everything, arthouse movie service especially. It was supposed to be a console and a multimedia platform, Sony NEVER delivers what they promise.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

There is a naughty way to get your PS3 fixed in backdoor way, but I'm sure mentioning it will be a real naughty thing...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup, they did "too much", not "just enough". When I chose, the decision was easy: I had a standard TV with no intention of getting Blu-Ray disks. PS3 was slightly better, but did not justify the cost, so I went with X-Box 360. I've upgraded the TV to HD, which X-Box 360 can cater for, and I still own no Blu-Ray disks. The Wii showed more starkly that the returns on graphics alone has long since plateaued for many purposes and diverse gameplay is far more sought after.

The biggest lesson I learnt is is that it's not just software that can have significant bugs in it when production starts and I'll be waiting a long time before replacing the 360; there have been at least 3 hardware iterations of the 360 in improving levels of heat generation as the chip size shrinks and now they could run significantly faster without overheating than initially thanks to this.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

PS3 isn't better than the 360, multiplatform releases are always superior on the 360. Bought the PS3 because of the exclusives of developers like Team Ico that are under Sony's umbrella. The exclusives are worth it, but I sob every time someone mentions Mass Effect. Want.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    PS3 isn't better than the 360, multiplatform releases are always superior on the 360.
    I wish I knew this earlier. The blue ray gave me a false impression, and the company had more experience in making consoles.
    I bought the old PS3 because the slim one was sold out. The store owner warned me about the old one. On the bright side, he agreed to sell it for a cheaper price even when his original offer was already a discounted one.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 10-21-2010 at 11:41.
    Wooooo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaka_Khan View Post
    I wish I knew this earlier. The blue ray gave me a false impression, and the company had more experience in making consoles.
    I bought the old PS3 because the slim one was sold out. The store owner warned me about the old one. On the bright side, he agreed to sell it for a cheaper price even when his original offer was already a discounted one.
    360 may be the better console, but pc always owns consoles and everything good on the 360 eventually comes to the pc. I'll take the PS3 over the 360 any time, the PS3 gems will be released on neither. Tip, put it on a tile, floors are always dusty.

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    PS3 isn't better than the 360, multiplatform releases are always superior on whitchever system was the "main" platform during development.
    there...fixed it for you.

there have been multiplatform games where the PS3 was better...it's always down to which system was the main and which one was "ported".

as for the "durability" of the console....2 and a half years of HEAVY use...no problems.
    and i´ll never go over to the 360...those controlers are crap.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    there...fixed it for you.

there have been multiplatform games where the PS3 was better...it's always down to which system was the main and which one was "ported".

as for the "durability" of the console....2 and a half years of HEAVY use...no problems.
    and i´ll never go over to the 360...those controlers are crap.
    Oh got no problems either that black beast got some heavy use, you can leave it on for days, I do that at least tend to forget shutting it down. But I can't think of a title where the PS3 version is supposed to run better, and I doubt PS3 only gets ports.

Uhm, do you even know what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by link below
    A new survey of warranty claims by 16,000 game-console owners found that Xbox 360s failed for nearly 24 percent of their owners, compared to 10 percent of PlayStation 3s and less than 3 percent of Wii consoles.
    http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09...r-rate-survey/

That's also a bit old, here are some other, newer statistics:
    Quote Originally Posted by link below
    Percentage consoles that were repaired or replaced
    XBox 360 : 42%
    PS3 : 8%
    Wii : <1%
    http://gorumors.com/crunchies/game-c...vs-ps3-vs-wii/

I bought my PS3 two years ago and one of the reasons was a higher reliability than the 360, I haven't had any complete failures so far.
    Looks like the Wii wins but the PS3 isn't anywhere near the 360 in failure rates.
    Don't know what you and your friends do to your PS3s or whether you're just unlucky, but overall the PS3 isn't nearly as bad as your OP makes it out to be.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

true...microsoft even was "forced" to roll out an extention warranty program for the 360 because the kept breaking down with RROD.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Uhm, do you even know what you're talking about?

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2009/09...r-rate-survey/

That's also a bit old, here are some other, newer statistics:

http://gorumors.com/crunchies/game-c...vs-ps3-vs-wii/

I bought my PS3 two years ago and one of the reasons was a higher reliability than the 360, I haven't had any complete failures so far.
    Looks like the Wii wins but the PS3 isn't anywhere near the 360 in failure rates.
    Don't know what you and your friends do to your PS3s or whether you're just unlucky, but overall the PS3 isn't nearly as bad as your OP makes it out to be.
    How do you take care of your PS3? Do you have the old big version or the new slim one?
    Fragony said to place it on a tile. I put mine on a table, not on the floor. I do live in a dusty city.
    Wooooo!!!

These were where I got my info from:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/...D/m-p/11723868
    http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/gen...what-ylod.html
    http://www.slashgear.com/complete-ps...m-list-172513/
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/422586

I am on my third ps3. The first one quit with a flash of light and would not turn on again the second one quit displaying a picture on my tv however it would still turn on. I am of coarse extremely worried that my third ps3 is going to become a useless 600 dollar paper wait. Anyone else have a similar experience with there ps3?
    The Yellow Light of Death is a way for your PS3 to tell you that it's crapped out on you, and you're going to have to send it back to Sony. As far as I know, it can mean any kind of hardware failure. As far as frequency goes, it appears that the launch 60GB models are much more prone to have this happen due to a fault with the thermal paste that was used. But it can also happen on any model for any other reason as well (including 60GB models).

We really can't figure out more, because Sony pretty much just gave us this one universal error indicator (whereas Microsoft has a bunch of different ring of light combinations for different errors so you can get more details about what's wrong).
    Well, in the long run it'll be cheaper to buy a brand new slim model.

Or you can just opt for a replacement from Sony for £130 which comes with a 3 month warranty but most peoples i've heard break down just after that 3 months.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 10-22-2010 at 03:53.
    Wooooo!!!

My console is better then your console. FACT.

Try a ps2 game, if it doesn't run you don't have the launch model, newer models aren't backward compatible (screw you Sony another broken promise, guess I will have wait till HD-versions will CHANGE THE WAY WE THINK ABOUT PS2 GAMES FOREVER)