1 100.00%
  • 25% - 50%

0 0%
  • 0% - 25%

0 0%

Thread: Actual time spent in battle vs total time in MP

<code>ninja</code> Clan Nikodil's Avatar

Question Actual time spent in battle vs total time in MP

Instead of subjective whining, we need some hard statistics about the quality of MP. Please don't just guess, but keep notes or look at the steam statistics. Comments about the statistics, desired percentage of time in-battle or network problems are welcome.

Note: the poll is about MP-battle only, do not include any time in MP-campaign.
    Last edited by Nikodil; 10-23-2010 at 09:09.

Default Re: Actual time spent in battle vs total time in MP

Well i wont vote in the poll as i dont see the point (no offence) as you can be in a game 30 minutes and the drop happens and you have to restart or move onto the next game. So setup times generally are average say 4-5 minutes but the drops are so random its hard to put a % on it. Other times people can drop while you setup your units. Its completely random so hard to put a figure on. Ive had nights with 3 4v4s in a row with no drops and other nights where we get a drop 3 games in a row at random points. What bugs me is why are people dropping at all? i dont see this in other games i really dont....

"The mind is everything. What you think you become."

"The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."

Buddha

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Default Re: Actual time spent in battle vs total time in MP

There are other catches that make quantifying “time in-battle vs. time in multiplayer” very hard to do.

(By the way, I really admire your effort to try to do something about this problem. Salute!)

First there is time waiting for a game, or for people to join your game, which depending on the population density of any particular time period, may be long or short.

Second, there is your choice of game set-up (yours or the one you chose to play in), is it really suitable for those players available at that particular time? This can leave you waiting a long time, or even predestine that game to failure. The choice of map, funds and units sizes, may be inappropriate for those looking for games or even joining the game you are in, because of their likes and dislikes, the capability of their equipment, or even their location on the planet.

To understand how distance will affect your game, you must first understand that the host of the game provides the game-server operations for the game. Steam handles communications (through their servers), but the game is running on the host’s computer and through their internet connection to all players (like a giant LAN). If you loose connection with either, you will be dropped from the game.

You must also consider what time it is in the regions of the players you are intending to play with? At different times a day in different parts of the world, internet traffic peaks, and reduces marginal game playing to an unplayable condition.

The above problems are of course multiplied directly by the number of players in the game, with the processing slowed to the speed of the slowest computer and connection in the player group.

Of course you yourself must have a recommended spec computer (freshly booted before you play), and high speed cable connection (with no one else on it), no other programs running (not even email or messaging), and armed with the concept that, it is always best to restart your Total War game program in-between games (do it automatically).

Considering all of the above is understood, you must now find other players who have the right stuff, make friends, and hang out together looking to increase your acceptable player base (I have friends I have been playing with almost 11 years now).

The truth is that you can have lag free eight player games lasting over two hours or more, if you and your friends have the right stuff. This includes the willingness to stay in a game even after they have lost (stay and watch, learn and celebrate the victories of all).

Enjoying multiplayer to the fullest is a matter of investment, education, and character, beyond the game it’s self. It is not a “right” because you bought the game box, but something that must be studied and worked towards, with integrity and respect for others.
    Last edited by Tomisama; 10-23-2010 at 15:56.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474