Thread: A plague of pirates

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default A plague of pirates

I know pirates are hardcoded, but in two of my recent games, the seas seem to be awash with them. For a time I didn't think they ever blockaded anyone but me, but I did notice them (very occasionally) blockading AI factions.

What's unusual is the sheer number of them, in my Kyrenaian game they've cleared the seas of every other navy, I don't even dare put to sea myself any more.

I also saw some pirates on land, a half-stack of "Listerion" rebel troops who must have come ashore from a ship. Never seen that before.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Default Re: A plague of pirates

It is possible to change the rate they spawn. In one of the files (which i cannot seem to find....I think its descr_strat) you can see the pirate and rebel spawn rate with a number. Higher number is more rare. Put it at about 5000 and you are unlikely to see mass pirate spawn ever. They will be killed off as quickly, if not more quickly than they spawn.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Either move the pirates, or if you are allied with a faction with a great navy, for example the Ptolemaioi, move their fleets close to the pirates...
    As for the Listerion troop, it could be an extinct faction navy...
    Last edited by Arjos; 11-01-2010 at 15:31.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    It is possible to change the rate they spawn. In one of the files (which i cannot seem to find....I think its descr_strat) you can see the pirate and rebel spawn rate with a number. Higher number is more rare. Put it at about 5000 and you are unlikely to see mass pirate spawn ever. They will be killed off as quickly, if not more quickly than they spawn.
    If it's in descr_strat, then it's not save-game-compatible. I'm not really so worried about it, I just thought it was interesting the way they seem to have recently bloomed like plankton!

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Either move the pirates, or if you are allied with a faction with a great navy, for example the Ptolemaioi, move their fleets close to the pirates...
    As for the Listerion troop, it could be an extinct faction navy...
    I've been doing that sometimes, but there aren't any AI navies left. Not sure whether that's from pirate-hunting or naval battles with other factions.

There are no extinct factions in any of my games, so the Listerion troop can't be from there.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Those stacks are annoying but you can beat them fairly easily. A group of three to six units of Hellenistic ships (preferrably Triereis or heavier - Trieremiolai are ideal, if you can get them) can usually annihilate a big stack of pirates without breaking sweat. Even a group of six Germanic warship units can destroy a half stack of pirate ships. The only factions facing serious problems wit pirates are the two "Skythian" factions and Pahlava.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Well, its a big bother for the non-celtic barbarian factions as they cant get decent ships. It takes a massive investment to get a fleet capable of taking the pirates out. And its such a large investment that it isnt worth doing IMO.

For civilized factions however you just need to recruit some of the higher tier ships and go hunt them down. Once the backlog of pirates has been cleared it is relatively easy to keep the seas clear of them, its just that first push thats daunting. And there are so many probably because they have come down from the Baltic. They seem to spawn there all the time.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I know pirates are hardcoded, but in two of my recent games, the seas seem to be awash with them. For a time I didn't think they ever blockaded anyone but me, but I did notice them (very occasionally) blockading AI factions.

What's unusual is the sheer number of them, in my Kyrenaian game they've cleared the seas of every other navy, I don't even dare put to sea myself any more.

I also saw some pirates on land, a half-stack of "Listerion" rebel troops who must have come ashore from a ship. Never seen that before.
    just conquer west country

jokes aside, you're going to need a hell of a navy. I hope you don't have anyone harrasing your borders, because I would recommend cutting the army down, to make room financially for a navy.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg