Thread: Using EB content for AoE mod

Default Using EB content for AoE mod

Hey I'm new here, but I have a question. I am project leader of a mod for age of empires 1 The rise of Rome. See here if you want more information about it. We are going to make new units and since I like the units from EB a lot, I want to base (base, not copy) these new aoe units on some EB units. It's just for a mod for fans, no money and such involved. Is this OK with you?

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Default Re: Using EB content for AoE mod

Possibly the wrong way toi go aboiut it. Try to PM foot or one of the other EB people. Otherwise, good luck with modding a very old game. One of my first games in fact. Lot of enjoyment form that one.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Well, I tried their website, and the contact mails had been removed for spam reasons, and I was redirected here, so... Many people started with aoe1 and there can always be a time of coming back. That's one of the main ideas behind the mod. Not only for the pleasure of the regulars like me that are still at heavengames, but also to bring back people who usually have good memories about aoe.

Side note, I'm still looking for graphical designers (aoe is an old game, so no 3D stuff). You can contact me by my website(see opening message).

PM is on these forums, not the website. Anyway you should know that we do not give “carte blanche” to use EB content. You should therefore compile a specific list of what you want to use then submit it along with a request to use these items to an EB team member who regularly visits the public forums via PM.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome Thompsoncs. If I recall correctly, the EB team cannot allow other people to use their unit graphics without the consent of the original artist first.

Off course, the question is if making AoE versions of EB units constitutes "using EB graphics", as you won't be using the original files and most detail will be lost. I'd say it's different, but the EB team may think otherwise.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Aoe graphics are very small, and it will mostly be editing existing graphics, like giving them a new shield, sword or helmet and such. It's more more getting ideas than actually copying them. In fact I doubt people will even recognise them as EB graphics. Still, I don't want any problems and if it's still needed to make a specific list of what we are going to use, I'll make it and post it here. It will take a while, because the graphic making is still in early phase.

On heavengames there's already a list with which ideas might be used for the new graphic, and as you can see there's a lot of links to EB. But in any case I promise we wont copy the graphics. I still intent to keep the aoe look, with a touch of RTW.

And it's also a compliment to the quality of your graphics. They look very beautiful.
    Last edited by Thompsoncs; 11-12-2010 at 21:55.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

That would be fun. Don't forget to make a Batrix map with laser towers.

Those things were terror on that one AoE2 Syracuse level.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Its absolutely fine for you to use EB as research for your mod as long as you give credit for that. Names, languages, unit descriptions and other content directly taken from EB needs to be requested by compiling a list of things that you would like to reuse. We normally don't lend text work however.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

out of curiosity:text work that normally is not permitted to copy, ... does this include discription texts "only"(they are quite a lot and very good) or also names of units and buildings?
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Please re-read the above post. Foot is quite clear on that. 'Course it varies with the names. Some things are simple terms everyone and their pet dog can look up in the first history book they lay their hands/paws (in case of the pet dog) on: triarii, hoplitai etc. But when it comes to some of the more arcane items the picture changes.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

yeah I fancied Hoplitai was not an EB trademark term but my question was if names like(grab into the blue) Halstehveyyau are likely to be permitted or not.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Thank you Foot, you guys will receive credit. I'll make a list of what exactly I'm going to use, and then return here. Might take a while, I'm quite busy.