Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Automatic LukMap & Script creator

Hi Wellington heres the pic. please don't get disheartened
    with this project you have achieved so much already in a short space of time and I know many people are whatching this space .We are very close to a fully working map

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/ISSY%20WHIZZY/00000002.jpg

Changed some palette entries in the defalt folder in LMM3
    got it working also got minimap working.Is there away to increase the map size LMM3 CHUCKS OUT because this is the only thing i can see thats stopping the tga's working.LMM3 dosn't seem to be able to work with maps at 4096 /3072, is there away to amend this in LMM4.Cheers M.E
    Oh anouther pic notice 8 turns .

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/ISSY%20WHIZZY/00000009.jpg

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (MR EGG @ Jan. 25 2003,22:04)]Is there away to increase the map size LMM3 CHUCKS OUT because this is the only thing i can see thats stopping the tga's working.LMM3 dosn't seem to be able to work with maps at 4096 /3072, is there away to amend this in LMM4.
    My thoughts exactly. Can't change the lukmap sizes with LMM3 but you will be able to in LMM4.

In all previous threads on this issue of map sizes most people who've tried this say the map sizes (Maptex and LukMap) can be any size. I'm not so convinced. ALso, it seems a good idea to stick with the original MTW map sizes whilst we are still sorting this out. If MTW does allow smaller maps sizes we can always do a bit of trial and error later.

So, for LMM4, I'm putting in a parameter ("MTWMapSize=YES") so we can then get LMM4 to create LukMaps that are the same size as MTW's. The actual users map size will remain as the size of the input map but it would be centred within the LukMap. Any extra 'space' will just be "Pink". The LukMaps will also be easier to install as I've now cracked the file format for them.

The Targa/TGA's are a bit of a pig but I also want LMM to create the 2 MapTex/Maptex2 TGA's based on the user's input map. Again same idea as the LukMaps, centre the users map within the actual MTW TGA sizes and tile any 'space' with the wood that MTW uses. That way it would look perfect.

Once LMM can produce the TGA's a nice touch will be to allow the user to tile his 'space' (if the users map is smaller that the MTW size) with whatever he wants instead of the wood. The users could optionally provide a bitmap, any size - does'nt matter, with a design of their own. Hence if your ECW campaign map of Britain was a bit smaller than the full MTW size you could tile it with an ECW image of you own choosiuing just to give it that 'special' touch.

None of this will be in LMM4 though (LMM6?).

How long for LMM4? 2 or 3 days I think (famous last words&#33. LMM4 will -

- have BifReader with it (in the download) and remove the 'Browse for Folder'
    - create the real LukMap/LukMap2 LBM files (I'll also produce the lukmap BMP's as they are quick reference in bitmap format)
    - allow for the "MTWMapSize=YES" option.
    - incorporate an Install/Backout facility (time providing)

Welly

I've been testing with Britain.bmp and Britain_Original.bmp as the same size as the original mtw MapTex.tga. What I did was convert the MapTex.tga to bmp and copied the britain bmps into the center of this new map. I tried 3 different ways...
    1) just pasting the britain bmps with no changes
    2) creating a pink rectangle around the edges of the britain map and then pasting
    3) pasting the britain maps, and then extending the pink lines to the edge of this new map.

It goes fine until it reaches this step...
    (MS) Main: increasing image by 200% ...

I then get this Windows error message...
    Script: C:\Program Files\LukMapMaker\LukMapMaker.vbs
    Line: 2164
    Char: 3
    Error: The parameter is incorrect.

Code: 8000FFFF
    Source: csImageFileTrial.Manage

It's similar to Mr. Eggs error message earlier in the thread.

Sometimes, the LMM's error file shows that it has an undefined region 0,0 (I think this happened when I tried 1 and 2 above).

LMM3 worked fine for me before, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error, other than changing the size of the britain and britain_original.bmp files.

Dremewevr

All you have to do, is to decide what you are going to do in the time that has been given to you... -Gandalf the Grey

dr3mew3vr,

Can you look in the messagelog.txt for that run and tell mw LMM3 says the mapsize is. The lines you are looking for are -

19:50:26 ™ Starting Main routines ...
    19:50:26 ™ Main: loading "Britain.bmp" map ...
    19:50:26 ™ Main: ... mapsize = 485x485

This error is not being issued by LMM but rather by the csImage package.

The problem is that the graphics package we are using for all this map manipulation is saying one of the paremters is incorrect. Now all that line of code (line 2164) in LMM is doing is requesting csImage to make a new image in memory, ready for the resizing of lukmap to lukmap2. As the only parameters on that line are the height and width for the new image I can only suspect it's a limitation in the graphics package.

If you give me the mapsize I'll try a couple of things myself.

Welly

warning- plot loss in progress Senior Member barocca's Avatar
    (*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

just so you know there are many peeps watching this thread,
    do NOT give up,

This utility will be a ground breaker,
    and i can only imagine the extreme mods we will be able to make with it

The winds that blows -
    ask them, which leaf on the tree
    will be next to go.

Creator of the Medmod for M:TW Member WesW's Avatar

Hi, guys.
    I was reading the Script files thread, and came across something that might help you guys. Here is a paste:

SetAttributes:: ID_MOROCCO "Morocco" 0 MUSLIM_CULTURE ARID AT_ISLAMIC -1 255 "Morocco Castle_xzy" INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    ------------------------------------

What does this all tell you?

Well, it tells that for the Almohads (who control Morocco and Cordoba used in these examples) use different architecture attributes in the SetAttributes which means that architecture in SetAttributes is NOT related to culture and religion
    As shown in the Cordoba example, SetBorderInfo can be chosen indepently of the SetAttributes info to create a different feel for the battle maps. The Southern European, Eastern European, Western European and Islamic properties are linked to the MTW\Models directory.

As everyone probably knows the object MUSLIM_culture and Catholic_culture used in SetAttributes are ofcourse related to the faction's SetReligion and SetBehaviour attributes.

Now, I have not fiddled with these particular aspects of the start position texts, but I can tell you with almost certainty based upon my previous experience that the SetAttributes section deals entirely and exclusively with the selection and creation of the battlefield maps, especially the castle map, and is not related to anything else in the file.
    The MUSLIM_CULTURE refers to the style of buildings and structures placed upon the battlefield map, if present, and is not affected by which faction controls the province. The rest of the code refers to the attributes of the castle map.

You were right to say that SetAttributes is not related to the faction's religion and behaviour. It is in fact not related to the faction at all.

Hope this helps.
    Wes Whitaker's Total Modification site:

Quote[/b] (barocca @ Jan. 25 2003,23:56)]just so you know there are many peeps watching this thread,
    do NOT give up,

This utility will be a ground breaker,
    and i can only imagine the extreme mods we will be able to make with it

B,

No intention of giving up mate The fact is I KNOW it can be done and we WILL get there. The only unknown is how long it takes to work out all the stuff we don't yet know and thereby get to the stage where I can confidently release LMMx as a none-BETA version.

It's also gratifying that there are some bright people who are as enthusiatic as I am about this whole area, and the implicit potential, and MORE IMPORTANTLY giving me a lot of help with this project in terms of testing/ideas/opinions - which is really what I wanted ... so thank's guys - I appreciate all your doing.

BTW: It's also, for me, one of the most interesting and challenging mod projects I've been involved in. Cracking this will be a watershed

9:35:27 PM (MS) Starting Main routines ...
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: loading "Britain.bmp" map ...
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: ... mapsize = 2048x1536
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: loading "Britain_Original.bmp" map ...

Here you go Welly--it's the exact size of Maptex.tga, as I used that file and converted it to a bmp. If you want, I can mail you the MessageLog.txt file.

Dremewevr

All you have to do, is to decide what you are going to do in the time that has been given to you... -Gandalf the Grey

dr3mew3vr,

I was curious who darkwolfe was I'm also curious what the hell "dr3mew3vr" means

Looks more like a password to me

it is supposed to be dreamweaver because I'm an artist ...I originally used the name for AOL Instant Messenger, but the original spelling was already taken, so I changed the spelling up a bit. darkwolfe is more of my gamer name...as it sounds more ruthless than dreamweaver.
    Dremewevr

Quote[/b] (dr3mew3vr @ Jan. 26 2003,00:37)]9:35:27 PM (MS) Starting Main routines ...
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: loading "Britain.bmp" map ...
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: ... mapsize = 2048x1536
    9:35:27 PM (MS) Main: loading "Britain_Original.bmp" map ...

Here you go Welly--it's the exact size of Maptex.tga, as I used that file and converted it to a bmp. If you want, I can mail you the MessageLog.txt file.
    DarkWolfe,

I'm calling you DarkWolfe from now on, if that's ok with you - basically because I can never remember your dr3???? name

Please do zip and E-mail me the messagelog.txt - it may tell me something. Thanks for telling me your using W98se - this helps me a lot in terms of support (I'm using XP Home Edition). I'll try a few 'busting' tests tomorrow to ascertain the limits in terms of what this csImage package is capable of. Having said that I do think it's a pretty good package.

Just as an aside - the whole idea of the messagelog.txt was to have a reference of exactly what processing LMM had been through (both for the user and for myself in terms of support). Every main function/subroutine in LMM issues a message just so we can sure the order of processing is correct.

I really want to issue a "Technical Guide" to LMM which will try to explain some things in a lot more detail. I use LMM slightly different (in terms of testing) to you guys because I know what tables/files I can change and which I can't. I hav'nt given you this type of information yet. Not because I don't want to but rather I hav'nt had time to write it properly. Trouble is writing GOOD documentation takes a lot of time and a lot of thought.

If you guy's know what LMM is doing, why it is doing it, how it is doing it, what it uses to do it and how you can 'amend the processing' this helps everyone. I'll try to add a very brief "Technical Guide" to LMM in the next release.

Quote[/b] (dr3mew3vr @ Jan. 26 2003,01:41)]it is supposed to be dreamweaver because I'm an artist ...I originally used the name for AOL Instant Messenger, but the original spelling was already taken, so I changed the spelling up a bit. darkwolfe is more of my gamer name...as it sounds more ruthless than dreamweaver.
    Aaaahhhh

The penny sinks (bet you don't know what that means&#33

Still, I'm calling you 'DarkWolfe' from now on. Dreamweaver suggests bad overtones for a BETA project

Welly

Quote[/b] (WesW @ Jan. 26 2003,00:09)]Hi, guys.
    I was reading the Script files thread, and came across something that might help you guys. Here is a paste:

SetAttributes:: ID_MOROCCO "Morocco" 0 MUSLIM_CULTURE ARID AT_ISLAMIC -1 255 "Morocco Castle_xzy" INLAND HILLY NO_RIVER
    ------------------------------------

What does this all tell you?

Well, it tells that for the Almohads (who control Morocco and Cordoba used in these examples) use different architecture attributes in the SetAttributes which means that architecture in SetAttributes is NOT related to culture and religion
    As shown in the Cordoba example, SetBorderInfo can be chosen indepently of the SetAttributes info to create a different feel for the battle maps. The Southern European, Eastern European, Western European and Islamic properties are linked to the MTW\Models directory.

As everyone probably knows the object MUSLIM_culture and Catholic_culture used in SetAttributes are ofcourse related to the faction's SetReligion and SetBehaviour attributes.

Now, I have not fiddled with these particular aspects of the start position texts, but I can tell you with almost certainty based upon my previous experience that the SetAttributes section deals entirely and exclusively with the selection and creation of the battlefield maps, especially the castle map, and is not related to anything else in the file.
    The MUSLIM_CULTURE refers to the style of buildings and structures placed upon the battlefield map, if present, and is not affected by which faction controls the province. The rest of the code refers to the attributes of the castle map.

You were right to say that SetAttributes is not related to the faction's religion and behaviour. It is in fact not related to the faction at all.

Hope this helps.
    WesW,

Many thanks for your input, its most appreciated.

However, can you put this type of info in the stickied Script thread. The reason is that the 'initial' Script problems for LMM have now been resolved. We will have to reappraise the info provided in the Script thread at a later date - at such time it will be essential to have all all "Script issues" collated in that thread in order to to ascertain the rules that a "Script Editor" utility (the logical follow-on to LMM) must incorporate.

There is a LOT of info in this thread but, at present, I really would like to keep the onus centred on the LMM releases and info pertaining to current LMM issues.

Welly

Addl Testing of MapTex sizes

I'm retesting the Britain map with original MTW MapTex.tga that I had working for about 200 turns (middle of page 4).

Experimented with size 1536x2048--original size is 2048x1536
    Also tried 1024x768--half of original mapsize
    (MapTex2.tga were double the size of above).

Both showed up with the same unknown 000000 error. So far, it's looking like it has to be the same EXACT SIZE and also can't be PERPENDICULAR even if the same size. I also tested with a graphically altered maptex of original size and that worked fine btw.

Dremewevr

Did you guys notice if you get a Lukmap working with MTW's MapTex.tga, something strange happens to the Strategy map ingame? Check out Mr. Egg's pic of his Strat Map. Do you see how if a region is selected the graphics for that region looks corrupted? This also happens when you click on additional regions, and even if you end the year. The only time the graphics become clear again is when you play with the video options, but once you click a province again, it gets corrupted.

Dremewevr

Hi guys.

I see you have been pretty busy I went away with my girlfriend this weekend and when I logged in on the board I see I missed so much already Well, I'll read through all the new info again a bit later and give some feedback on them.

Great work guys

PanthaPower

Welly[/quote]
    How long for LMM4? 2 or 3 days I think (famous last words&#33. LMM4 will -

- have BifReader with it (in the download) and remove the 'Browse for Folder'
    - create the real LukMap/LukMap2 LBM files (I'll also produce the lukmap BMP's as they are quick reference in bitmap format)
    - allow for the "MTWMapSize=YES" option.
    - incorporate an Install/Backout facility (time providing)

Welly

Great news Welly cheers

Please check this out I resized the tga of the Ilands map to 4096/3072

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/ISSY%20WHIZZY/00000013.jpg

This confirms the tga maps need to be defalt sizes/4096/3072
    and the other can't remember at the moment.

Quote[/b] (MR EGG @ Jan. 26 2003,07:53)]http://hometown.aol.co.uk/ISSY%20WHIZZY/00000013.jpg

This confirms the tga maps need to be defalt sizes/4096/3072
    and the other can't remember at the moment.
    Mr Egg,

Can you elaborate on that statement "confirms ..." together with your reasoning. I'm probably being stupid (I'm a bit slow today&#33 but I don't follow how anything is confirmed or not by looking at the resized Islands map.

Welly

Welly the tga is working in MTW AT 4096/3072 with the smaller luk map. No other size works apart from the defalt ,I take this as good as confirmed.

Quote[/b] (MR EGG @ Jan. 26 2003,11:35)]Welly the tga is working in MTW AT 4096/3072 with the smaller luk map. No other size works apart from the defalt ,I take this as good as confirmed.
    Ok, I see what your saying and I'm pretty sure your right. However, if you rescaled the Islands map (or any other other for that matter) to be the same size as MTW's, and then rescaled the lukmap also to be the same size (did you do this?) then I'd expect it to work. The reason being all 3 maps (Maptex/LukMap/Minilukup) would be in sync.

At present LMM3 does NOT ensure all 3 are in sync. LMM3's logic says -

a) produce the lukmaps based on the exact size as the users map
    b) produce Minilukup based on the size of the MTW frame

These these 2 statement would only be compatable IF the users map is exactly the same size as MTW's map. LMM4 will try to sort this out via the new "MTWMapSize=YES" parameter.

Welly

Guys,

I just converted my LOTR map and it seemed to work It runs at the default MTW map size and I tested it for 15 turns. I noticed one error till but I'll look into it if it's a drawing error from my side (one region had different origins for unit placement and the origin where the castle is located). The other regions I checked where all working 100%

Wellington, I don't know if it is in the LBM converter from Mithel or the LBM file properties itself or something else but the LukMap.bmp to LukMap.lbm coversion had no problems on the original MTW resolutions.... I'll try to look into this a bit further and post a screenshot later on.

Panthapower

Quote[/b] (PanthaPower @ Jan. 26 2003,13:10)]Guys,

I just converted my LOTR map and it seemed to work It runs at the default MTW map size and I tested it for 15 turns. I noticed one error till but I'll look into it if it's a drawing error from my side (one region had different origins for unit placement and the origin where the castle is located). The other regions I checked where all working 100%

Wellington, I don't know if it is in the LBM converter from Mithel or the LBM file properties itself or something else but the LukMap.bmp to LukMap.lbm coversion had no problems on the original MTW resolutions.... I'll try to look into this a bit further and post a screenshot later on.

Panthapower
    Hi PP,

One thing to consider. Any users map might "confuse" the MTW engine depending on the shape of the Land region. Think of this ...

The Castle/Origin/Port X/Ys are all defined in the Script. MTW knows EXACTLY to position things in a Land region based on these X/Ys. However, how does it determine were the various Land region titles should be positioned?

What would happen if you drew a Land region in the shape of a thin horseshoe and specified the Castle x/y to be at one of the shoe and the Origin x/y at the other end (ie: a different land region in-between these 2 points&#33. Where would MTW then place the Titles? In the wrong region? What would happen when we truied to 'pick up' a title? Would MTW CTD?

These are all things to consider/check-out ...

Welly[/quote]
    if you rescaled the Islands map (or any other other for that matter) to be the same size as MTW's, and then rescaled the lukmap also to be the same size (did you do this?) then I'd expect it to work. The reason being all 3 maps (Maptex/LukMap/Minilukup) would be in sync.

In a word no I didn't ,maybe I'm going in a different direction to you guys

Wellington,

that's an interesting theory you got about that horseshoe region... Well, when LMM4 is ready, we could do some more testing with that.

I reread my last post again and noticed that I might not have been clear. I was in a hurry so sorry for that one. To make things clear, what I meant in my last post was that I had a region where my title would be at and where my units would stand. But the castle would stand in a different region on the map... And not even close to the one where my units would be at
    But it could have been caused by one error that was made by me. I reshaped a few provinces on my LOTR map and accidently gave two castle coordinates to one region. Of course it gave an error in the errorlog but still I wanted to try the new map in MTW. I ofcourse deleted the extra castle out of the script file.

I'm now running a complete new run and I will test again. I think the run will last for one more hour. Takes so much time on my P3-450 laptop...

Wellington, one more question. The DLL that we are using will expire soon. Are you going to make your own DLL or will you keep on using this dll in the final version?

P.P.

PP,

I'll update this thread tommorrow re- your comments.

At present I'm checking one or two things curious issues regarding the continued use of ChestySofts csImageFile product.

Tot slot - Engels gezegde "throwing a spanner in the works"

(*disclaimer* - reality may or may not exist, in some societies reality is a crime, punishable by life)

i'm on my way out the door,
    so a quick note regarding the new file system,

you can still upload to and download from the upload pages, but files will only stay there for a day or so,
    i must move then to 3D as fast as possible to keep our service host happy,

more information here
    Notice of changes thread
    and here
    Upload Tools Index Pages

just thought you should be aware of the changes,
    usually you can download immediately from 3D, the longest wait i have had has been Four Minutes,
    (queue estimate was 16 minutes - they allow one minute per user per download in their estimate, but most files take a few seconds to download)
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Question for you Wellington. Is there any way to make it so LMM doesn't have to go through the lookuptable.txt chronologically down the list automatically when deciding which regions to put into the map and script file one creates? What I mean is that if you only have two provinces on your map, those provinces will always be Scotland and North Umbria, etc., etc., with Sicily always last...going down the list. Is it possible for you to modify LMM so that the user can pick which region ids that he wants to use in his map (besides specifying the names in RegionNames.txt)?

Dremewevr

Related to the above is the "Swiss emerge" as a new faction around turn 200 of the Early game (Britain map, FactionExample1). The "Swiss emerge" also happens if I choose the Late game around turn 3. When they emerge it causes the game to crash because of a "no portrait found" error. Has anyone else experienced this type of crash? I was thinking that if Switzerland was one of the regions in the map that this crash wouldn't happen? Along the same train of thought...does this mean we need to have all the regions in any new campaign map? ...something to think about, I guess.
    Dremewevr

the "Swiss" is a hardcoded event,
    they will always appear in Switzerland,

I Beleieve, (not certain)
    You will need a province in THAT slot no matter what,
    and you need the swiss as a "registered" Non Playable faction, even though they start with no provinces owned.

Depending on the campaign mod you make as to what you actually do with this "rebel" faction...
    The winds that blows -
    will be next to go.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast