Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the brits are still a fine people

Default Looks like the brits are still a fine people

BBC linky

THIS is how a protest is made! The French have finally been outdone!

Smash the buggers.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Looks like the brits are still a fine people

Everyone likes a riot. *appropriate smilie I can't be bothered to find*

But on a more serious note, what exactly are they angry at? Do they plan on funding Uni's with money that doesn't exist?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    Do they plan on funding Uni's with money that doesn't exist?
    Take it from the elderly, after all it's their fault we're in this mess. You could do it in a sneaky way though, with a special tax on After Eight for example....

Or the military, that's also a pure expense. But trying to save money by cutting investments as opposed to expenses is idiotic.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-10-2010 at 18:28.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Whoever caused the problem, it doesn't change the fact we have to deal with it now. How would we punish the elderly instead... they've got it bad enough already I think.

Whoever caused the problem, it doesn't change the fact we have to deal with it now. How would we punish the elderly instead... they've got it bad enough already I think.
    The elderly will have to learn that there are consequences to their actions, there is no get out of jail card in real life.

Meh, my Gran gets a pension of something like £90 a week, I'm not going to get upset because some student can't get another x thousands funding so he can party for another year.

Man I am in a confrontational mood today, but really, University is a joke, don't know if you read my Frontroom thread a few days ago.

Cutting uni funding is like trying to save money by saving gas and staying home instead of driving to work. It's pure nonsense.

EDIT: Yeah, who needs teachers, engineers, nurses, etc etc....
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-10-2010 at 18:45.

Depends on what they are studying at Uni. If it is a useful profession, and will help train them for a position that the job-market has a demand for, then what you say it true.

But with things like teachers etc... we have so many of them it is ridiculous, many are now having to work for nothing just to get a foot in the school system. And that's not even going into courses like Sports Medicine or Media Studies or whatever.

But with things like teachers etc... we have so many of them it is ridiculous, many are now having to work for nothing just to get a foot in the school system. And that's not even going into courses like Sports Medicine or Media Studies or whatever.
    Send 'em over here then, there's a critical need for teachers over here... Which is the primary reason I chose to be one above the other stuff that interested me a few years ago.

I can basically pick and choose where and what I want to work with. And it'll only get worse in the future, much of the teaching staff is aging and due to retire over the next few years... IIRC we'll have a shortage of around 10.000 teachers in five years, even though recruitment is going up.

Your gran gets £90,- state handout a week? When I studied I could only claim €75,- a month and I am expected to pay that back in due course. Where are those thousands you speak of Rhyfelwyr? <_<
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Send 'em over here then, there's a critical need for teachers over here... Which is the primary reason I chose to be one above the other stuff that interested me a few years ago.

I can basically pick and choose where and what I want to work with. And it'll only get worse in the future, much of the teaching staff is aging and due to retire over the next few years... IIRC we'll have a shortage of around 10.000 teachers in five years, even though recruitment is going up.
    Norway routinely cordons off skilled professions with red tape etc to prevent such use of skilled foreign labour your unions would never allow it.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

So we educate them and you profit?

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Your gran gets £90,- state handout a week? When I studied I could only claim €75,- a month and I am expected to pay that back in due course. Where are those thousands you speak of Rhyfelwyr? <_<
    It's a pension so she presumably contributed some herself. Anyway, I get less than that, the point is you can still work when you are at Uni. And it's the education itself that costs thousands.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 11-10-2010 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Norway routinely cordons off skilled professions with red tape etc to prevent such use of skilled foreign labour your unions would never allow it.
    Yes....... Like how we don't have any foreign doctors, nurses, carpenters, etc etc........

And that's ignoring the fact that as a fellow EU-member, we cannot ban Brits.

What we do is demand that foreign workers are paid the same as a Norweigan worker. Are you able to name a profession we have "cordoned off"...?

So we educate them and you profit?
    Don't worry, there are plenty of Norwegians looking to work in the UK as well, that's a little thing I like to call an "exchange"
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-10-2010 at 19:00.

Enter the Bank now fairly soon with American style college loans in Britain and Ireland.

I get less than that, the point is you can still work when you are at Uni. And it's the education itself that costs thousands.
    True, education is expensive. I was just wondering where the thousands came from.

However I would submit that Universities only get a small portion of their funding through state subsidy or grants or similar programmes; at least the uni I went to acquires rather more funds through applied research (typically funded by private enterprises) or through spin offs of successful research projects.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Yes....... Like how we don't have any foreign doctors, nurses, carpenters, etc etc........

And that's ignoring the fact that as a fellow EU-member, we cannot ban Brits.

What we do is demand that foreign workers are paid the same as a Norweigan worker. Are you able to name a profession we have "cordoned off"...?

Don't worry, there are plenty of Norwegians looking to work in the UK as well, that's a little thing I like to call an "exchange"
    Eh Norway isnt in the EU

and your only covered to work in Norway's oil and gas industry unless you do Norways safety courses yet OPITO courses cover everyone else trust me I checked.

Eh Norway isnt in the EU
    As far as working in Norway is concerned: yes, we are.

So suddenly we're a fan of the free market and the free movement of labour?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

The only way to close the funding gap that is fair is to cut places and close universities. Take the bottom 20% of Uni's, close, sell off their buildings and return their funding to more worthy institutions, cut places at other Universities by 30% and you're done.

Those clever enough to get a place will, those who aren't won't. If you really want it you can keep applying until someone takes you. While we're at it, we should tripple the workload of the average undergraduate, they spend far too much time drinking and partying right now.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

To be honest I dont see why they couldnt just shrink all those arts degrees down to two years etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    While we're at it, we should tripple the workload of the average undergraduate.
    Try it and that'll be me smashing into the Conservative offices next time!

Tell me Rhyfelwyr what colour was Rachel Rileys skirt today??? bah students in arts courses have loads of time

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When 5% go to uni it's sustainable for the government to fund it.
    When 50% go to uni it's not.

That's 3 years lost taxes for those that should have jobs, and no, people are not vastly cleverer. There are just more crap degrees and teh standard for jobs is artificially raised to a BSc / BA as so many people have one.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Tell me Rhyfelwyr what colour was Rachel Rileys skirt today??? bah students in arts courses have loads of time
    I was much too busy vegetating in front of my PC today, have to say I missed Countdown. And Deal or no Deal! And that funny programme they now have on BBC about the Canadian mounty that solves crimes in New York. It is so funny, I thought it couldn't get better than Doctor Sloan gliding aroud Community General in his rollerskates and telling criminals how he solves their crimes while tap-dancing with them, but this goes the extra mile.

Fair point about the degree length, the BBC did an article on just that matter recently, can't find it now though. 2 years would have been more than enough for what I've had to do.

I was much too busy vegetating in front of my PC today, have to say I missed Countdown. And Deal or no Deal! And that funny programme they now have on BBC about the Canadian mounty that solves crimes in New York. It is so funny, I thought it couldn't get better than Doctor Sloan gliding aroud Community General in his rollerskates and telling criminals how he solves their crimes while tap-dancing with them, but this goes the extra mile.
    Due South

Years ago RTE used show that Diagnosis Murder and I specifically remember an episode with an actual vampire in it
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-10-2010 at 21:16.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah if horetore did that, you might have do the half average workload of a real degree.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

The University funding issue highlights a bigger problem with the state system as a whole. Although popular belief will tell us that since the 80s, the public sector has been cut back more and more, this isn't the case. Relative state spending has gone up, it happened even under Thatcher, the problem is demand on the state is so great that demand simply exceeds availability of resources with in the state my model.

R.E universities, my personal solution would be to cut the number of places drastically. That doesn't mean that people can't go to university, how about we just adopt a different system. Those who want to go to proper universities can go when they're 18 and those who would normally go to a former polly can postpone their education for a couple of years. If they genuine need the skills from a university course, they can go back and study part-time later on and who knows, maybe even their employer might support them.

Point being it's wrong that so many people should start their lives crippled by debt, it only leads to a vicious cycle of repayments and life long debt. University can be free for those who need it, we do however need to fundamentally change our system before we end up at the awful American mode.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    R.E universities, my personal solution would be to cut the number of places drastically. That doesn't mean that people can't go to university, how about we just adopt a different system. Those who want to go to proper universities can go when they're 18 and those who would normally go to a former polly can postpone their education for a couple of years. If they genuine need the skills from a university course, they can go back and study part-time later on and who knows, maybe even their employer might support them.
    If UK is anything like Ireland then employers basically demanded the Pollytechnics etc become something more to supply more maintainence technicians and masses of engineers, draughtsmen etc for the "Smart Economy"

Uni's can be poor at supplying these types of people for industry at least in UK/Ireland
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-10-2010 at 21:35.

Due South

Years ago RTE used show that Diagnosis Murder and I specifically remember an episode with an actual vampire in it
    lol, I remember that episode as well! I always wondered what would happen if they did something like that in an otherwise reality based TV show... Dick van Dyke is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    yeah if horetore did that, you might have do the half average workload of a real degree.
    A bit of jealousy there methinks. Anyway, I am doing real degree, at a real Uni, that will get me a real job. With a real two hours classes a week. Ha!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Diefenbaker ruled.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast