Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop wasting money on HIV/AIDS!

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Stop wasting money on HIV/AIDS!

I made this thread at TWC back in February and god, you guys should be lucky you wasn't me . Well, since some people say Backroom is boring now, maybe my thread can heat things up a bit.

Here goes my reputation.

Stop wasting money on HIV/AIDS research. There are to many people dying and/or affected from cancer,magecular degeneration, Alzheimer's,heart disease and so on. I did some research and I personally don't care what the AIDS research supporters say. Way to many people die from cancer, for example, then AIDS. Besides.... No one asks to get cancer. If you don't want AIDS, don't have sex with every man/women you see. Don't screw people from your own gender. Don't take drugs and share the fricking needles. I understand some people with AIDS didn't ask for it (Like if you mother screwed the wrong man and got HIV, then got pregnant with you and pass it onto you). Those people I feel bad for. But we can't find a cure just for the minority who had bad luck and had HIV/AIDS passed down to them. I have had 3 family members who had cancer. The first two survived, (one in the 80's, one in the late 90's) and the final one died after a 3 year long battle from ovarian cancer (My Aunt suffered badly) from 2002-2005.

I know I'm quite controversial, and I might sound cruel with my views, but it is the Truth. If people stop having sex with every that has a hole, stop taking drugs and so on, we won't have HID/AIDS!

Default Re: Stop wasting money on HIV/AIDS!

My opinion is the exact opposite.

Spending 10.000 USD on cancer treatment might save one person.

Spending 10.000 USD on AIDS, malaria, cholera, etc treatment will save tons of people.

We justify spending money on curing cancer and other such diseases because the ones affected are people we know; honestly, who cares if some "poor africans or homosexuals" die? better have them dead than infecting the rest of us with their barbarity and gay stuff.

Oh and finally.... You don't choose to get cancer? What?? Why the hell should I pay for the treatment of your relatives who can't even eat right??
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-12-2010 at 22:15. Reason: Unacceptable language
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

And why should I pay for your relatives who are stupid enough to stay in Africa and get malaria?

And why should I pay for someone's med bills if they screwed someone and got HIV?

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

With AIDS though there is a lot that can be done just be investing in programmes aimed at prevention. Relatively little money could make a huge difference in parts of Africa, and save a lot in the future in all the treatments that would no longer be needed. On the other hand, there's not a great deal you can do to prevent people getting cancer (besides a couple of obvious things eg don't smoke), it's only going to become more of a problem as we live longer.

And prevention is always more effective than the cure, so...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by AntiKingWarmanCake88 View Post
    And why should I pay for your relatives who are stupid enough to stay in Africa
    I have no relatives in africa, I am capable of feeling compassion towards people unrelated to myself.

And I'd rather save 10 africans for the money it'll take to cure your ignorant relatives who's got all the knowledge available to them, but are to lazy and stupid to care.

Cancer is also an end of life disease were the demographic affected by AIDS is on the whole must younger. This fact is what makes AIDS all the more devestating. Because of this AIDS hurts the economic development of African countries as the most productive part of their population is sick or dying. One could also argue that because Cancer tends to be an end of life disease we should research in it. Why try to cure cancer when some other disease is going to get you anyways.
    When it occurs to a man that nature does not regard him as important and that she feels she would not maim the universe by disposing of him, he at first wishes to throw bricks at the temple, and he hates deeply the fact that there are no bricks and no temples
    -Stephen Crane

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    IAnd I'd rather save 10 africans for the money it'll take to cure your ignorant relatives who's got all the knowledge available to them, but are to lazy and stupid to care.
    What the **** are you talking about, everyone that gets cancer is now lazy and stupid because they didn't live like obssessive fitness freaks? And even if they did there's still a good chance they would get it anyway.

Increased chance as a matter of fact. Yes: a lot of work out means increased risk of all sorts of old-age diseases, and some types of cancer as well.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    With AIDS though there is a lot that can be done just be investing in programmes aimed at prevention. Relatively little money could make a huge difference in parts of Africa, and save a lot in the future in all the treatments that would no longer be needed. On the other hand, there's not a great deal you can do to prevent people getting cancer (besides a couple of obvious things eg don't smoke), it's only going to become more of a problem as we live longer.

And prevention is always more effective than the cure, so...
    Yup. Once of prevention is a pound of cure....

I have no relatives in africa, I am capable of feeling compassion towards people unrelated to myself.

And I'd rather save 10 africans for the money it'll take to cure your ignorant relatives who's got all the knowledge available to them, but are to lazy and stupid to care.
    And I rather save my family members then your dumb ,I mean smart Africans in Africa who like to screw each other. You get HIV, it's your own fault and quite frankly, if you got HIV/AIDS from being reckless with sex then I believe you should die for stupidly.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

@AntiKingWarmanCake88

Looks like I will have to set Shep on you lad, seriously we should stop research on AIDS yea right the benefits of developing an AIDS vaccine are potentially in the trillions of dollars. No one is trying to cure AIDS there trying to vaccinate against it and the benefits from such research could spread into many other areas of medical research.

AIDS is vary hard to stop because it mutates extremely rapidly figuring out a way past this could potentially help prevent more than just AIDS.

Skew wan hup yeaaah hup get on come by over stay hup shoo shoo away with you Troll away I say.

I mean seriously what you think all the research money is in AIDS now or summit and there is none left for cancer.

Irish cancer scientists find wonder cure
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 11-12-2010 at 01:34.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

I don't think Warman was trolling although HoreTore might have been in retrospect.

Oh well, everyone likes to troll once in a while...

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

I made this thread at TWC back in February and god, you guys should be lucky you wasn't me . Well, since some people say Backroom is boring now, maybe my thread can heat things up a bit.

Here goes my reputation.

Stop wasting money on HIV/AIDS research. There are to many people dying and/or affected from cancer,magecular degeneration, Alzheimer's,heart disease and so on. I did some research and I personally don't care what the AIDS research supporters say. Way to many people die from cancer, for example, then AIDS. Besides.... No one asks to get cancer. If you don't want AIDS, don't have sex with every man/women you see. Don't screw people from your own gender. Don't take drugs and share the fricking needles. I understand some people with AIDS didn't ask for it (Like if you mother screwed the wrong man and got HIV, then got pregnant with you and pass it onto you). Those people I feel bad for. But we can't find a cure just for the minority who had bad luck and had HIV/AIDS passed down to them. I have had 3 family members who had cancer. The first two survived, (one in the 80's, one in the late 90's) and the final one died after a 3 year long battle from ovarian cancer (My Aunt suffered badly) from 2002-2005.

I know I'm quite controversial, and I might sound cruel with my views, but it is the Truth. If people stop having sex with every that has a hole, stop taking drugs and so on, we won't have HID/AIDS!
    cancer is natural death cause. if you find a cure for cancer you find cure for (near)immortality...

aids = cia

We do not sow.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

AIDS can caused by blood contact it is a disease that seems to have come from SIV in monkeys, likely someone cut there hand while preparing bushmeat infected with the disease. These people have to eat something just cos they stop havin sex does not mean they wont get an AIDS infection from more bushmeat later.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And the people who got AIDS through blood transfusions?

Besides that, increasing our medical knowledge is worthy in and of itself - to say nothing of helping people.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

actually, AIDS are not the big problem on itself, the problem is today, people like to screwing each others outside marriage (sin), and even screwing their own gender (bigger sin!), and even as far as screwing animals (total abomination!). It those homosexual's fault to discover a type of deadly virus on a chimpanzee's butt (SIDS are known far before aids), spread em on their homosexual community, and then some of the bisexuals spread those to the rest.... well

I'd guess giving education about the wrongness of homosexuality, as well as bestiality, will avoid us to make another kind of deadly diseases sprung up again in the future...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    actually, AIDS are not the big problem on itself, the problem is today, people like to screwing each others outside marriage (sin), and even screwing their own gender (bigger sin!), and even as far as screwing animals (total abomination!). It those homosexual's fault to discover a type of deadly virus on a chimpanzee's butt (SIDS are known far before aids), spread em on their homosexual community, and then some of the bisexuals spread those to the rest.... well

I'd guess giving education about the wrongness of homosexuality, as well as bestiality, will avoid us to make another kind of deadly diseases sprung up again in the future...
    This a joke?

SIV is thought to have jumped species via blood to blood, not hunters buggering apes.

Best to keep your narrow minded prejudices to yourself, even if a subject does tenuously let you vent them.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

HIV/AIDS research already pay of we can treat it to certain extend, problem are patent-rights they can be produced quite cheaply. Brazil says screw you by the way http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4059147.stm
    Last edited by Fragony; 11-12-2010 at 11:26.

Blog Entries

Almost all drugs can be produced cheaply.

It's the same with software. You're not paying for the cost of the download, you're paying for the costs of R&D. The cost to develop one product for launch is roughly $500,000,000. If there's an area where countries are going to rip off products, companies are going to factor that in to future decisions.

We're running out of antibiotics that work because the cost of creating one is so large compared to the potential market. With the current system it is going to have to reach the point where there is desperate demand... And the problem with that approach is there's roughly a 10 to 15 year lead time between one end and the other of drug development.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    if you find a cure for cancer you find cure for (near)immortality...
    Guns are also a cure for immortality.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    Almost all drugs can be produced cheaply.

It's the same with software. You're not paying for the cost of the download, you're paying for the costs of R&D. The cost to develop one product for launch is roughly $500,000,000. If there's an area where countries are going to rip off products, companies are going to factor that in to future decisions.

We're running out of antibiotics that work because the cost of creating one is so large compared to the potential market. With the current system it is going to have to reach the point where there is desperate demand... And the problem with that approach is there's roughly a 10 to 15 year lead time between one end and the other of drug development.

Heard of that, current generation antbiotics will probably be useless to us. Odd buggers these virusses how can something that isn't alive evolve.

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Guns are also a cure for immortality.
    only if you believe in an afterlife. i wasnt joking btw. if you are going to find a way to stop stemcells from deteriorating and mutating into cancers than you will find a way to keep your body pretty fit forever. the problem is then how to keep your braincells fit. nintendo wii says it offers a solution XD

We do not sow.

And I rather save my family members then your dumb ,I mean smart Africans in Africa who like to screw each other. You get HIV, it's your own fault and quite frankly, if you got HIV/AIDS from being reckless with sex then I believe you should die for stupidly.
    I would get banned if I replied to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I don't think Warman was trolling although HoreTore might have been in retrospect.

Oh well, everyone likes to troll once in a while...
    I most certainly am not. I would rather spend money on saving ten people than saving one person for the same amount, that's basic maths to me. Yes, I'm thankful that my grandfather and grandmother are alive and got treatment for their cancer; it doesn't mean I can't also be aware that the fact that they lived meant that a bunch of other guys in the third world now have dead parents.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-12-2010 at 16:06.

Blog Entries

The ratio isn't 10:1, it's probably 1000s : 1 for quite some time whilst all the pitifully easy diseases are treated (e.g. causes of diarrhoea in under 5s).

I most certainly am not. I would rather spend money on saving ten people than saving one person for the same amount, that's basic maths to me. Yes, I'm thankful that my grandfather and grandmother are alive and got treatment for their cancer; it doesn't mean I can't also be aware that the fact that they lived meant that a bunch of other guys in the third world now have dead parents.
    All of which is a whole different matter from saying people that get cancer are lazy and stupid.

as if warman shouldnt get his facts right... jesus christ.

We do not sow.

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Germs don't kill people, capitalism kills people!
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Yay, with this thread the Backroom has finally caught up with the level of YouTube for intellectually stimulating debate!
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Slyspy View Post
    Germs don't kill people, capitalism kills people!
    Well in this case absolutely

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Louis
    Yay, with this thread the Backroom has finally caught up with the level of YouTube for intellectually stimulating debate!
    Indeed.

I'd just like to challenge one of the many false assertions that has been floating around in this thread - that it is only a threat to the promiscuous.

HIV/AIDS symptoms can take many years, sometimes even more than a decade, to manifest. The infection can even lie 'dormant' in some people for a large part of their lives without any effects.

That means that you oh-so-sexually-pure guys who are above the temptation of premarital sex can find a nice young lady, court her for a year or more, marry her in front of God and the community, and still contract the virus on your wedding night.

While limiting sex partners, and more importantly, safe sexual practices, will lower your chances of getting HIV/AIDS, the images you've created, or more likely been fed, of what an AIDS victim looks like are patently false. It may be comfortable to feel like HIV/AIDS happens to them and not us, but it is not accurate.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 11-12-2010 at 21:27.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast