Thread: I Can't Sleep

Default I Can't Sleep

I have to work at 7:30 tomorrow morning, so I was about to go to bed at 10:30 so I could wake up at 6:30. I was really proud of myself because going to bed at a decent hour has been a goal of mine recently. Then I went downstairs to get a drink and my brother was watching a movie so I got sucked into that until 11:30. Then I went to bed, thinking I would at least still be able to get a decent amount of sleep. 20 minutes later I feel more alive than ever and full of energy, so I come downstairs and spend a few hours reading wikipedia articles. Now its 2 am and I'm planning on getting about 4 hours of sleep. I work 8 hours tomorrow and it's the beginning of the holiday shopping season. It's going to be HORRIBLE
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 11-13-2010 at 09:59.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: I Can't Sleep

I do that as well, I'm like a 10 year old, I get over-tired and sit on my computer or watch TV all night.

I've found trying to go to bed really early doesn't help. Just cut your losses and only get a little sleep when you have to be up early for work, and make up for it when you get days you can lie in.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I often find thinking helps me sleep when I cannot. My mind races anyway, so I am constantly debating something with myself at all times. I can often have a good debate and at times, correct problems and/or worries while thinking to myself in the silence and comfort of the evening. I have done this despite having a full pot of iced tea (7 bags) 2-3 hours before going to bed. I don't talk to myself out loud mind you, for all those that might consider me insane. Just a racing mind and alot to think about. I might consider having an inspired thought, then standing in the center of town with a sign that proclaims the miracularity of said thought to all that pass! Hooray for the voices! Ha ha, j/k! ;)
    Silence is beautiful

Can't sleep? Count sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I often find thinking helps me sleep when I cannot. My mind races anyway, so I am constantly debating something with myself at all times. I can often have a good debate and at times, correct problems and/or worries while thinking to myself in the silence and comfort of the evening. I have done this despite having a full pot of iced tea (7 bags) 2-3 hours before going to bed. I don't talk to myself out loud mind you, for all those that might consider me insane. Just a racing mind and alot to think about. I might consider having an inspired thought, then standing in the center of town with a sign that proclaims the miracularity of said thought to all that pass! Hooray for the voices! Ha ha, j/k! ;)
    I'm the same way, I'm always having pretend discussions and conversations in my mind.

Today didn't go as bad as I thought it would, since I worked early in the morning the store was pretty much dead for the first few hours so I didn't have to deal with as much of the rush as I thought I would, and I was able to relax and start on a project without having to deal with customers. I didn't really feel tired either even though I only managed to get 3 hours of sleep.
    Last edited by Tuuvi; 11-14-2010 at 04:24.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I know how you feel, but I wouldn't call it thinking it's more like total chaos, a sleepless mind goes to weird places. Part of my brain just isn't mine.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I know how you feel, but I wouldn't call it thinking it's more like total chaos, a sleepless mind goes to weird places. Part of my brain just isn't mine.
    There is order. One thought goes on to the next. Often different thoughts are connected by one thing they have in common, thus the transition from one to another. It can be quite inspiring, though I admit, it can be opressive at times. The part of the brain that isn't mine I call the subconcious (my imaginating friend, ha ha) :) . It has been that way since I was a child however. I would feel incomplete if it wasn't like this.
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Chuchip View Post
    I have to work at 7:30 tomorrow morning, so I was about to go to bed at 10:30 so I could wake up at 6:30. I was really proud of myself because going to bed at a decent hour has been a goal of mine recently. Then I went downstairs to get a drink and my brother was watching a movie so I got sucked into that until 11:30. Then I went to bed, thinking I would at least still be able to get a decent amount of sleep. 20 minutes later I feel more alive than ever and full of energy, so I come downstairs and spend a few hours reading wikipedia articles. Now its 2 am and I'm planning on getting about 4 hours of sleep. I work 8 hours tomorrow and it's the beginning of the holiday shopping season. It's going to be HORRIBLE
    A bit late now, but don't stress. Coming from someone who has insomnia, 3-4 of sleep one or two nights won't kill you. Just make sure to get a good nights rest to make up for it.

Since certain remedies are often taunted and made fun of by either ignorant or immature individuals, try melatonin. You can buy it for around $5-6 at the local CVS, and whenever you can't sleep, taking one will give you pure bliss. It basically jump starts what your body naturally produces.
    Last edited by Ice; 11-14-2010 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    A bit late now, but don't stress. Coming from someone who has insomnia, 3-4 of sleep one or two nights won't kill you. Just make sure to get a good nights rest to make up for it.

Since certain remedies are often taunted and made fun of by either ignorant or immature individuals, try melatonin. You can buy it for around $5-6 at the local CVS, and whenever you can't sleep, taking one will give you pure bliss. It basically jump starts what your body naturally produces.
    Yes I take melatonin every once in a while, it works wonders. I didn't take it that night though because I was afraid it was too late in the night.