Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

I am loving Europa Barbarorum so far, and I am rather picky meaning it's a good thing.
    Here are a few of my questions:

1. Why aren't the unit formations accurate like everything else in the mod? By accurate, I mean more like this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

2. Is there different rally trumpet music for each faction?

3. Is it just me, or do cavalry charges seem...ineffective?

Default Re: A few questions

Cavalry charges are much less effective than in vanilla, but there they are grossly overpowered.

If used correctly, though, they are still deadly effective. Never use them in a frontal assault. Try lining them up for a good straight charge instead of just double clicking everywhere like a madman, which worked well enough, IIRC, in vanilla, but is useless in EB.

Welcome to the fora

1. mainly because AI behavior etc ar not as easily moddable as models skins and unit stats. but afaik there are some submods that deal with this.

2. I doubt it. but it could be as I'm not playing EB atm ^^

3. Bellum's right, cavalry charge in general has been nerfed, you cant annihilate any non spear unit with a unit of crappy equites in one hit now. you need to micromanage your cav a lot if you want them to live and do damage. oh and as I presume you're playing as romani then I'd like to add that cavalry that wields their spears overhand(thus like hoplites) are mediocre in melee but suck(bigtime) at charging for a proper charge you need underhand lancers like Hippeis Xistophoroi, Illyrioi Hippeis and Leuche epos, I think those are the first few underhand lancers you get as rome.
    the real killers live in the east.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

What submod(s) are you referring to, and where, specifically, can I find them?

I don't use them myself, thus I cant really recommend you one but you'll find some in the SUBMOD SUB-Forum of the EB forum. Afaik there even is one in the recomended mod pack at the top of the list.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

I use three formation submods. I'm unsure what exactly it is they do, since I never really tried anything else. Sinuhet and Darth are two of them. link Sinuhet and Darth formations for EB

On cavalry: use them correctly. Here's a brilliant guide to cavalry in EB by Ibrahim. In short: you want to use cavalry with two-handed spears for charging purposes, since their charge values are much higher than anything else you have at your disposal. As a bonus: the charge of two-handed lance-cavalry is armor-piercing. For Rome, this kind of cavalry can be found in the Equites Extraordinarii and the Hippeis Thessalonici (sp?). You can train the Extraordinarii in Rome and Capua (perhaps in an other nearby city as well), and you can find the Thessalians in Greece, Thracia, Asia Minor, Syria and Egypt as mercenaries. They're expensive, but if used correctly they're well worth it.

Enjoy,

Andy
    Last edited by Andy1984; 11-14-2010 at 22:42.
    from plutoboyz

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    I don't use them myself, thus I cant really recommend you one but you'll find some in the SUBMOD SUB-Forum of the EB forum. Afaik there even is one in the recomended mod pack at the top of the list.
    At the top of the list where? Also, Andy1984, thank for the link and the cavalry advice, but it looks like those formations are for earlier versions and not eb 1.2.

Quote Originally Posted by feldwebel View Post
    Also, Andy1984, thank for the link and the cavalry advice, but it looks like those formations are for earlier versions and not eb 1.2.
    You're welcome.

Here you can find Marcus Camillius', Darth's and Sinuhet's AI formation mods. According to Lysander, they're compatible with EB1.2
    from plutoboyz

I recommend that cavalry guide. I've been trying it with a few units of Illyrian light horse against small rebel stacks in my campaign, and the Illyrians tend to rout many enemy battlelines in a few seconds. The enemies do not route instantly, but by the time the last units hit home in the fourth charge in 10 seconds... yes, even from the front levy morale tends to break.

Wouldn't work against a proper army with a real general and is unrealistic for Romans anyway, but the piledriver works great for swatting small groups of enemies.

* remembers how his two or three units of Pahlava family members routed entire Roman imperial armies in custom battles *
    from plutoboyz

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Regardless of what formation mods you use, the AI will pull them out of that formation the moment battle starts. This is an RTW problem, not an EB problem.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR