Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead (Tv Series)

Default The Walking Dead (Tv Series)

Does anyone watch this on AMC? You can find all the episodes online, but here is a recommended clip. The show is great for mainstream cable.

http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-W...d=653165628001

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: The Walking Dead (Tv Series)

Looks really good, when Sons of Anarchy, Chuck, Burn Notice, Human Target, Psych, Lie to Me, The Good Guys, and god knows what else is over, Ill get to it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I've caught the first 3 episodes on the DVR so far. Pretty good, zombies in my old stomping grounds (the jokes we used to make about the CDC...).

There was a zombie in the second episode, staring down the sheriff, I swear it was played by Brad Dourif.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's a great show.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

MUHA thx for the tip, awesome comics, you really get to know them before they die horribly

Ooh, thanks. I love zombies!
    This space intentionally left blank.

Its a great show.Have watched every episode so far!
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Meh not available in my region

It is pretty good. I was super excited about it when I first heard the concept. Honestly, though, they really need to work on character development if they are going to string this into multiple seasons. I think the L4D characters are more interesting...

Read the comics? Don't worry about character development.

Anybody watching this season? It's been pretty good so far.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Meh not available in my region
    Pretty sure season 1 is available on Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Anybody watching this season? It's been pretty good so far.
    Yup, glad they lifted the storyline about ... well, about the thing happening right now from the books.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

great series im enjoying it so far just started.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I been wanting to watch this but haven't gotten around to it so far! It's pretty good eh?

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Can anyone sell me on any of the characters? They're either boring or detestable. I think the most likeable are the Asian guy and somehow the young redneck.
    For network cable, the imagery and zombie effects are enough to carry it alone for now, but I can't get over how bland the entire cast is after a full season and change.
    Last edited by Proletariat; 11-01-2011 at 01:36. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat View Post
    Can anyone sell me on any of the characters? They're either boring or detestable. I think the most likeable are the Asian guy and somehow the young redneck.
    For network cable, the imagery and zombie effects are enough to carry it alone for now, but I can't get over how bland the entire cast is after a full season and change.
    Have you watched the three new episodes this season? I was very let down by the characters in the first season and almost stopped watching; only the curiosity factor kept me interested. I just didn't really care what happened to them. This season, though, it seems like they've slowed down the zombie slaying and focused on giving pretty much the entire cast of characters a lot more depth. The writing and acting surrounding, as Lemur put it, what's happening now, have been surprisingly powerful stuff, at least in my opinion. It has almost transcended the whole zombie apocalypse theme to become a compelling drama about a family in crisis in its own right. (IMHO)

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

It could really use some more topless scenes, especially topless zombies.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I've watched the first season, not the most recent one. The biggest let down for me is the total lack of epic zombie-fighting scenes. Seriously... That last episode in particular...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    I've watched the first season, not the most recent one. The biggest let down for me is the total lack of epic zombie-fighting scenes. Seriously... That last episode in particular...
    It stars Egg from This Life - maybe he could entice the Zombies with a well scrambled, well, egg.

Seriously, what is it about America taking our comic actors and shooting them/crippling them/blowing them up?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Not digging the massive religious vibe.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I've been enjoying the show so far. I wasn't sure what would happen with Frank Darabont gone but the second season has some potential. Still, I have to agree with Proletariat about many of the characters being less than interesting. So far this season I've found Otis more interesting than all of the main characters except Glenn and Daryl. Knowing a (very) little bit about the comic I think Rick will come into his own again, though.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

I found episode 1 season 1 to be one of the best hours of television I have ever watched. Some of the set pieces - the African American son/father in their house, with the mother zombie at the door; the horse and the tank in Atlanta etc - were jaw dropping. It was so good it kept me happily watching the rest of the season, although the plot and characters never reached the potential shown by that first episode. The acting and production values just meant if felt more adult, real and compelling than a zombie-based show could reaasonably aspire to.

This season 2, however, is very much back on form. Partly for the reason PJs gives - as remarkably gripping "family in crisis" drama - but also because, to quote Shaun of the Dead's mum, the zombies are being rather bitey again. I keep jumping out of my seat, much to the disdain of my 15 year old son. After each show, we have lengthy discussions about how to survive the zombie apocalypse, which my son assures me I would be utterly at.

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just started watching this on FoxCrime. Missed the first season though. So far I think it's one of the best zombie themed film/series I have seen.

Yes, this season has been terrific - it's the best thing I'm watching at the moment and might even eclipse Game of Thrones, were it not scheduled to end just as season 2 of the latter starts.

I peeked at some of the pages of the source graphic novels via amazon's "look inside" feature. I was interested in how far advanced the novels were of the TV series in plot - it seems that the TV series is taking things really slow. And the graphic novels seemed very crude and sketchy compared to the language and characterisation of the TV series. The novels seemed all about the action and plot whereas the TV series is rather like the remake of Battlestar Galactica - much more adult and character driven.
    Last edited by econ21; 03-14-2012 at 18:27.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Really? I hate season 2. The budget is too low, the dialogue dull and the plot deviates way too much from the comics. I absolutely hate the changes they've made. Sad panda.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Since I have never even seen those comics then I can't compare the two. But I do like the show. Just like econ21 said it reminds Battlestar Galactica - more adult and character driven.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Season two has had a few high points but overall I liked the first season more.

That said, my wife was certainly happy with one of the events in the most recent episode...
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

I watched the first season and stopped. The speech by the scientist and indeed the theme of the entire series seems to be endless struggle. I suffer from bouts of extreme sadness already, the show is simply too depressing for me to watch on a consistent basis. I will stick to doing/watching things that make me laugh or angry.

Just done, it's good but short, I was dissapointed to see only two DVD's and dismayed when I found out the second DVD contains only 2 episodes while the first has 4. What's there is good though but there's so little of it, feel kinda cheated for paying 25 euro for 6x45 minutes. It's good but low on content, and I can't really say they did a good job with the source material, the comics are much more cleverly written imho. There is never a real sense of loss of everyday or any loss at all. Exceptional image and sound though, my trusty Beovision is almost like a window like this

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Just done, it's good but short,
    That's the first season? The second season was more substantial - 13 episodes. Strangely, I felt not much happened in the first season after the amazing opening episode. The second season really got me hooked and pretty much exclusively seemed to be about loss, initially in connection with the children, Sofia and Karl, and then later with the group coming to terms with the Hobbesian world they were now inhabiting, having to decide to what extent to maintain old moral norms or abandon them to baser survival instincts.

People who have watched the end of second season might want to watch Hitler's reaction on youtube to it. It was hilarious. People who haven't, like Fragony, should not click the link as it spoils the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uYggIdZ7O0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast