Thread: For diner

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Default For diner

Or more so, for dinner:

I made a roast beef, cooked down for 2 hours with leeks, carrots, green bell peppers, a sliced tomato, garlic, mushrooms, bay leaves, herbs, and a cajun blend of spices.

I then made a reduction sauce with the jus, butter, Stella Artois, Dijon mustard, black berries, brown sugar, carrot juice, tarragon, and fennel seeds.

Reduction sauces can be tricky, as it is easy to destroy subtle and complex flavors by over cooking, but I think I managed to time the introduction of the various ingredients properly, and the product came out quite satisfying.

I would have liked to have cooked the roast down slower to reach the proper tenderness, but my schedule does not permit such during the week.
    Last edited by Yoyoma1910; 12-08-2010 at 05:17.

My kingdom for a .

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: For diner

Baked Ziti.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I don't eat beef, but that still sounds tempting. Any meat with tomato and garlic in it, is actually......

Out of curiosity, what exactly do people use when they need to cook stuff for hours at a time? I mean I remember seeing a chili recipe where it had to be cooked for some 7-8 hours...so...is it coals? LPG? Electricity? What?

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I had pork cutlets with linguini
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I have been on a pizza kick. Every Sunday I make another. Have been experimenting with buttermilk pizza crust as of late. Baking bread too, batter breads are next.
    Silence is beautiful

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by india View Post
    Out of curiosity, what exactly do people use when they need to cook stuff for hours at a time? I mean I remember seeing a chili recipe where it had to be cooked for some 7-8 hours...so...is it coals? LPG? Electricity? What?
    Anything can be used, but one should be careful not to burn the food.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

I don't eat beef, but that still sounds tempting. Any meat with tomato and garlic in it, is actually......

It just depends. You can use pretty much anything, it's just maintaining proper temperature and having patience and time. For instance, for fowl such as duck or goose, especially wild, you can really make the meat tender and succulent by cooking it for a long time at a low temperature. I have a recipe for Confit de canard that calls for cooking the duck for 10 hours at 200 degrees Fahrenheit in an oven.

Many dishes that are also cooked down for hours, such as Osso Bucco, Gumbo, Sauce Piquant, etc. are done on a stove.

Sometimes for special occasions back home we roast 30 Lbs pigs, called cochon de lait. That usually done in a pit or on a grill, or hanging in a hot house for hours and hours.

My kingdom for a .

Right.
    I asked because we normally just use LPG in homes here, see, and cooking something on a gas burning stove for so long is just not economical....

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Osso buco, very yummie.

When I slowcook I just put the oven on 80 degrees after an hour on 160 to 200 (depends on the meat, 160 for beef/poultry 200 for tougher meats like goat or sheep), perfect for stews the meat remains really tender. The longer it's in the oven the better, and make it one day before you eat it, it's best after a night in the fridge.

Tonight I had smoked oysters, tiramisu, and a nice Belgian lager.

My kingdom for a .

Right.
    I asked because we normally just use LPG in homes here, see, and cooking something on a gas burning stove for so long is just not economical....
    My utilities are included in my rent.

My kingdom for a .

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Right.
    Really? You should move here. Gas is cheap as chips. Electricity however, is not. =(
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Oysters? Goat? Whatever those recipes were? Are you guys fo' real?

Eh, don't mind me, I was raised on mince and potatoes...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Italian sausage on a bed of spinach with parmesan cheese

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Tonight: Fettuccine with a red clam sauce, finished with a cappuccino and tiramisu. I have yet to find good tiramisu in San Diego, but I shall continue on my quest.

My kingdom for a .

I tried making Tiramisu at home once, but when I dipped the cake fingers in coffee, they just broke into bits.....Would you happen to have some special, easy-to-make recipe? I'd really like to try again...

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Chicken Basque style, (thanks Grandma).

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Italian sausage on a bed of spinach with parmesan cheese
    Louis isn't Italian.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Louis isn't Italian.
    who says I always wake up next to Louis? meoooowwwww

For breakfeast:

The leftover sausage with eggs filled with tomatoes, green chile, and cheese plus a banana on the side

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

How bout sum sushi...
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

When using beer for meat sauces, you should not use pilsner like Stella. From the same brewery there's also leffe. (Industrial beer that presents itself as abbey beer while it's not) While it isn't as good as most other more traditional beer it's easy to find in the States and almost every other country and it's much better to use for cooking. The beer even has it's on cookbook, which I of course own. Note though that there are different flavours of Leffe. We use the book too, though we swap the leffe beer with a better abbey beer of the same category. Which beer to swap it with depends wether you are instructed to use blond (which is like any abbey beer with trippel/tripel/triple in it's name), brown (dubbel/dubble/double/...) or one of the others.

Beer is fantastic in a stew I use Grimbergen, so easy soooo good. Bake beef, add onions, add vlees-fond (dunno translation) add carrots and beer, some flour, and wait. If you can smells delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Beer is fantastic in a stew I use Grimbergen, so easy soooo good. Bake beef, add onions, add vlees-fond (dunno translation) add carrots and beer, some flour, and wait. If you can smells delicious.
    Indeed. Grimbergen kan be used for it quite well, it's similar to Leffe and it's main competitor over here.Due to lack of abbey beer I've also had stue with Palm which wasn't halfbad either. Tripel Karmeliet makes good stue too. But to every man his own.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

My wife used brown Piedboeuf (table beer) in a rabbit stew lately and it tasted excellent.

Piedboeuf is also the perfect alternative for soft drinks, imo. The low alcohol percentage (1,5 %) makes it possible to drink plenty of it without getting drunk. I re-discovered it a family meeting lately.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Indeed. Grimbergen kan be used for it quite well, it's similar to Leffe and it's main competitor over here.Due to lack of abbey beer I've also had stue with Palm which wasn't halfbad either. Tripel Karmeliet makes good stue too. But to every man his own.
    Also great with pannenkoeken

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Also great with pannenkoeken
    Of course. What else would you drink when eating pancakes?

@Andres: yeah sad how noone drinks tablebeer anymore. I drank it as kid. Much healthier than all those sodapops and everything. Well except perhaps for water.

IN the pancakes instead of milk

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    @Andres: yeah sad how noone drinks tablebeer anymore. I drank it as kid. Much healthier than all those sodapops and everything. Well except perhaps for water.
    Me too! But people nowadays would frown deeply upon parents serving their children "alcohol" during dinner. As if all the crap they put in soft drinks, be it "light" or not, is so much healthier. Meh.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Was just a way to preserve water, water is good now