Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rioting students attack Royal car

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Rioting students attack Royal car

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    The President doesn't need a wage higher than the Prime Minister or a higher consumption of resources. Why would he need one?

I never understood the argument that it would be somehow vastly more expensive. Please explain that to me.
    i believe rory has beaten me to it.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rory_20_uk View Post
    I would start by using the example of every President in existence on the planet.

The president of Germany? Of Austria? Of Ireland? Of Switzerland?

The alternative for a hereditary monarchy for the UK is not a US / French style presidency. The more fitting solution is to remain a parliamentary democracy, with a ceremonial presidency. President David Attenborough is more likely than a president Blair, which is much more at odds with British political traditions.

In Switzerland they don't even know who their president is. Maybe that woman who claims she is, maybe one out of a rotating council of seven, maybe all of them simultaneously. The total costs are about 12,35 swiss Franks a year, for changing the name on the official national seal every year.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

The alternative for a hereditary monarchy for the UK is not a US / French style presidency. The more fitting solution is to remain a parliamentary democracy, with a ceremonial presidency. President David Attenborough is more likely than a president Blair, which is much more at odds with British political traditions.

In Switzerland they don't even know who their president is. Maybe that woman who claims she is, maybe one out of a rotating council of seven, maybe all of them simultaneously. The total costs are about 12,35 swiss Franks a year, for changing the name on the official national seal every year.
    I think, Monsieur, their fear is that any president of Great Britain wouldn't remain in the German/Irish/Austrian mold for long. That some power hungry, smooth talking, Cromwell wannabe C-U-Next-Tuesday will come along and promulgate and act similar to the Republic of South Africa Constitution Act, 1983. Where the powers of the offices of President and Prime Minister are combined into 1 office (for our purpose Lord Protector of the Commonwealth). And this new Lord Protector will be chosen in the same fashion as a Prime Minister, also weakening parliamentary authority over the government's actions.
    Last edited by lars573; 12-11-2010 at 20:31.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

not that i am disagreeing with the possibility, but were this to be the case how we would argue that the result was an improvement over that which we already have?
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

All-in-all, I am beginning to suspect that Charles is not an auspicious name for British monarchs.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    not that i am disagreeing with the possibility, but were this to be the case how we would argue that the result was an improvement over that which we already have?
    Abolish hereditary succession.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    All-in-all, I am beginning to suspect that Charles is not an auspicious name for British monarchs.
    He will be King George (the VII) when crowned.
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-11-2010 at 21:01.
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

He will be King George when crowned.
    :O
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Because:

1. You would save a ton of money.
    2. You would no longer have inbred hereditary dictators to represent you or interfere with your politics.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Leaches tend to get very aggressive when the host starts to run out of blood...
    RIP Tosa

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave View Post
    Leaches tend to get very aggressive when the host starts to run out of blood...
    Nah, they both looked too stunned and scared for that.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Nah, they both looked too stunned and scared for that.
    I'm sure Charles had a complete melt down when he went back to the palace. Whether its the Royal leaches or the "student" leaches, Britain is in big trouble and I hope all my American friends are taking note because its going to happen here soon enough. Getting your society addicted to entitlements sets a very dangerous condition whether it be from the citizens or the elites....
    RIP Tosa

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your "Royals" have powers that those in the UK can only dream of.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Abolish hereditary succession.
    what to replace them with a pointless German style figurehead........................?

show me how it will be a definitive improvement if you wish to persuade me to replace a system that works VERY well already.

having faith that; change for the purpose of being 'progressive' is by definition a good thing, is not a belief system that i adhere to.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Because:

1. You would save a ton of money.
    2. You would no longer have inbred hereditary dictators to represent you or interfere with your politics.
    1. rubbish. the royal family costs peanuts.
    2. the system works VERY well, convince me that an alternative will prove to be a superior system.............?

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

1. rubbish. the royal family costs peanuts.
    Rubbish there getting millions of pounds when they have thousands and thousands of acres of land and properties they could use to make there own money.

figures in millions 2010 2009
    The Queen's Civil List (figures are for calendar years 2009 and 2008) 14.2 13.9
    Parliamentary Annuities 0.4 0.4
    Grants-in-aid 19.7 22.6
    Expenditure met directly by Government Departments and the Crown Estate 3.9 4.6

looks to me like there getting pots of cash for not a lot if you ask me apparently 38.2 million

official figures from the Monarchy website
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 12-11-2010 at 23:13.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    Rubbish there getting millions of pounds when they have thousands and thousands of acres of land and properties they could use to make there own money.

figures in millions
    Grants-in-aid 19.7 22.6

looks to me like there getting pots of cash for not a lot if you ask me.
    Furunculus talks about how "low income people" are unable to understand the lives of "spoiled students", yet he refers to the luxury the royal family lives in as "peanuts"....

Blog Entries

show me how it will be a definitive improvement if you wish to persuade me to replace a system that works VERY well already.

having faith that; change for the purpose of being 'progressive' is by definition a good thing, is not a belief system that i adhere to.
    Because others can do a better job. It should be the best person for the job, not because of who your parents are. I rather have some one who is good at the job than some one who only got it because their mother is the Queen.

Because others can do a better job. It should be the best person for the job, not because of who your parents are. I rather have some one who is good at the job than some one who only got it because their mother is the Queen.
    There is an argument for paying the Monarch big big money but why do the rest of them get anything????

Indeed.

If it is as the monarchists say, that the current regent is in fact the best qualified, then things will remain the same, as they'd win the election. The only way Elizabeth(or Victoria or whatever you call your queen these days) would be booted as head of state should there be an election, is if the public finds another candidate better suited to the job.

This way you can have your cake and eat it too: you'll both get your Queen as head of state and it will be because the public deems her the best qualified person for the job!

But as most monarchists reject this notion, it must be because they know that the current inbreds in power are rubbish.

There is an argument for paying the Monarch big big money but why do the rest of them get anything????
    Because they are welfare leeches too lazy to get a job, thus relying on other peoples labour to feed them.
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-11-2010 at 23:20.

Blog Entries

That is another point as well, on-top.

If it is as the monarchists say, that the current regent is in fact the best qualified, then things will remain the same, as they'd win the election. The only way Elizabeth(or Victoria or whatever you call your queen these days) would be booted as head of state should there be an election, is if the public finds another candidate better suited to the job..
    Exactly, the current monarch isn't that bad. This is why I advocate reforming the system so when she dies naturally or retires, the new system then comes into effect. No point having a whole upheaval, as there is no pressing concerns to bring it in ASAP.

If Charles is really the best, he could run for the position as the first President of Great Britain. I have no issues with them lifting the ban on royals running for government (since they would no longer be royals).
    Last edited by Beskar; 12-11-2010 at 23:23.

figures in millions 2010 2009
    Grants-in-aid 19.7 22.6

looks to me like there getting pots of cash for not a lot if you ask me apparently 38.2 million

official figures from the Monarchy website

that is peanuts, comparatively, so i am lead to believe.

then of course their is the disputed argument over the crown estates, and the £210m in revenue it brought in for the exchequer, which if you believe republic.org is really nothing more than the states money anyway, but others take the view that the revenue from the crown estates was surrendered to in return for the civil list.

http://www.moneyobserver.com/issue/f...state-unveiled
    http://www.republic.org.uk/blog/?p=221
    http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/tce_faqs.htm

frankly, i don't have a problem with it.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 12-11-2010 at 23:46.

Exactly, the current monarch isn't that bad. This is why I advocate reforming the system so when she dies naturally or retires, the new system then comes into effect. No point having a whole upheaval, as there is no pressing concerns to bring it in ASAP.

If Charles is really the best, he could run for the position as the first President of Great Britain. I have no issues with them lifting the ban on royals running for government (since they would no longer be royals).
    Another point is of course that you don't really need a president at all.

Appointing governments and such is a job your highest court of law is perfectly capable of performing.

Blog Entries

Another point is of course that you don't really need a president at all.

Appointing governments and such is a job your highest court of law is perfectly capable of performing.
    Exactly, I have advocated previously just total removal. All you need to do is draw up a new constitution and have the High Court act like a Supreme Court (which it basically is) to rule on constitutional matters.

Furunculus talks about how "low income people" are unable to understand the lives of "spoiled students", yet he refers to the luxury the royal family lives in as "peanuts"....
    compared to the cost of other heads of state?

define how, and provide a methodology that demonstrates how nations with presidents get better value for money and/or greater effect than britain's constitutional monarchy.............

Indeed.

If it is as the monarchists say, that the current regent is in fact the best qualified, then things will remain the same, as they'd win the election. The only way Elizabeth(or Victoria or whatever you call your queen these days) would be booted as head of state should there be an election, is if the public finds another candidate better suited to the job.

This way you can have your cake and eat it too: you'll both get your Queen as head of state and it will be because the public deems her the best qualified person for the job!

But as most monarchists reject this notion, it must be because they know that the current inbreds in power are rubbish.
    as said earlier; having faith that change for the purpose of being 'progressive' is by definition a good thing, is not a belief system that i adhere to.

demonstrate unambiguously that the alternative would be better.

you advocate that, fair enough, show me a referendum where the majority vote in favour of the change and i will happily consent............

Exactly, I have advocated previously just total removal. All you need to do is draw up a new constitution and have the High Court act like a Supreme Court (which it basically is) to rule on constitutional matters.
    fine, if that's how we want to run things....................... *waits patiently to the sound of chirping crickets*
    Last edited by Furunculus; 12-11-2010 at 23:45.

define how, and provide a methodology that demonstrates how nations with presidents get better value for money and/or greater effect than britain's constitutional monarchy.............
    The Head of State can be removed if they were involved in a scandal but you cant remove a royal with out causing a constitutional crisis.
    There you go that has to be better in this day and age.

The Head of State can be removed if they were involved in a scandal but you cant remove a royal with out causing a constitutional crisis.
    There you go that has to be better in this day and age.
    that would be fine provided the royal family held more than a ceremonial and diplomatic role.

what we have works VERY well, i see no need to change it.

compared to the cost of other heads of state?
    Yes, compare it to the head of state of Germany, for example.

as said earlier; having faith that change for the purpose of being 'progressive' is by definition a good thing, is not a belief system that i adhere to.
    If what you say is true, there would be no change at all with a democratic election.

But you want to retain your dictator because you know they're unqualified.

Yes, compare it to the head of state of Germany, for example.

If what you say is true, there would be no change at all with a democratic election.

But you want to retain your dictator because you know they're unqualified.
    please do; provide a cost benefit analysis between the costs and revenues of the two systems.......?

not true at all, i am quite happy for change to happen if its demonstrated that it will be a better system..........?

again, not true, the queen is fantastically qualified to be a head of state.

again, not true, the queen is fantastically qualified to be a head of state.
    Then she will win the election and you should want that, as it will be irrefutable proof that she is deemed qualified.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast