Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Marriage an Outdated concept?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Is Marriage an Outdated concept?

I am supposed to be studying but that Spanish grade will stay the same no matter what, so you lot will have to deal with my thoughts.

Well is it?

We all know the statistics on divorce and unhappiness, we all have anecdotal evidence of our own folks (mine were much better enemies than friends ) We all know the western version of marriage is certainly not inate to humanity.

So one may ask why continue the charade?

Now certainly I understand why. I much prefer a relationship to random sex partners. I love the way my heart beats when I hold a pretty girls hand, I love the feeling I get when I share things with someone I like rather than just getting drunk, throwing it in, and running for the penicilin the next morning.

But that doesn't mean I could spend 50 years with that person.

Of course marriage is work and its never perfect but it just seems it may not be WORTH all that trouble these days.

Of course once kids get involved the hits the fan. Staying together for the kids is a modern day proverb
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 12-11-2010 at 15:20. Reason: Language
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: Is Marriage an Outdated concept?

No, marriage isn't an outdated concept. Outdated conceptions of marriage are outdated.

Doing things that aren't innate to humanity is innate to humanity.

People shouldn't have kids before they really know what they want in life (might turn out to be different than partner's) and shouldn't have a lavish ceremony with a very expensive ring. Those parts are outdated.

81% of college graduates, over 26 years of age, who wed in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later. 65% of college graduates under 26 who married in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later. 49% of high school graduates under 26 years old who married in the 1980s, were still married 20 years later.
    80% success simply by being a college grad and over 26, which is like bare minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I am supposed to be studying but that Spanish grade will stay the same no matter what, so you lot will have to deal with my thoughts.

Well is it?

We all know the statistics on divorce and unhappiness, we all have anecdotal evidence of our own folks (mine were much better enemies than friends ) We all know the western version of marriage is certainly not inate to humanity.

So one may ask why continue the charade?

Now certainly I understand why. I much prefer a relationship to random sex partners. I love the way my heart beats when I hold a pretty girls hand, I love the feeling I get when I share things with someone I like rather than just getting drunk, throwing it in, and running for the penicilin the next morning.

But that doesn't mean I could spend 50 years with that person.

Of course marriage is work and its never perfect but it just seems it may not be WORTH all that trouble these days.

Of course once kids get involved the hits the fan. Staying together for the kids is a modern day proverb
    Actually, no, it is not a modern thing. Marriage is designed to protect women, but esp. the children. Marriage is about families, is about children.
    The whole point of marriage is to provide a stable, loving environment for children to grow in. The problem with families today has nothing at all to do with the institution of marriage. The problem is with people. People nowadays are lousy, selfish, untrue, unhonorable, scared, pathetic, lazy pieces of garbage who only care about themselves and are not willing to make the sacrafices needed and to put the time into a family. Those problems would only be worse without marriage.
    People need to be reformed, not the institution. (likewise I would advocate that people need to be destroyed, not the institution. )
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 12-11-2010 at 15:21. Reason: Edited quote
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Monogamous marriage is a feature of history's most virtuous societies.

I am maybe a bit idealistic with this and have no RL experience, but this is the internet so YOU WILL HEAR MY OPINION.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Marriage as a legal entity is completely outdated, yes.

The state has no business interfering with how I choose to live my personal life.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    Marriage as a legal entity is completely outdated, yes.

The state has no business interfering with how I choose to live my personal life.
    I think the idea is more that it gives an incentive for people to marry, because of the supposed social benefits of the institution.

Would you get angry at the state interfering with your life if it encouraged you to further your education by supporting your tuition fees?

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was a believer in marriage. I think I still would be again in the future.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyfelwyr View Post
    I think the idea is more that it gives an incentive for people to marry, because of the supposed social benefits of the institution.

Would you get angry at the state interfering with your life if it encouraged you to further your education by supporting your tuition fees?
    If the state said I had to get one particular education; yes I would.

Being tied to one person for the rest of your life is very limiting, in my opinion. In my experience marriages have a few good years in them before acrimony, estrangement, cheating, and 'staying together for the kids' takes hold.

It was certainly different back in the day when you actually needed someone there with you on the farm in case you got sick, when you needed kids to keep the place functional, and when living past 50 was pure luck.

If the state said I had to get one particular education; yes I would.
    So if there was a particular demand for doctors, and they introduced more schemes to get people on programmes to train to become doctors, you would reject to this great intrusion into your personal life? It's the exact same thing with marriage...

So if there was a particular demand for doctors, and they introduced more schemes to get people on programmes to train to become doctors, you would reject to this great intrusion into your personal life? It's the exact same thing with marriage...
    Yes, I understand your reasoning, and that is why I said it's an outdated thing as opposed to just plain wrong.

A special programme to promote doctors is OK, when we are in need of doctors. If we are not, then it is not OK. And we no longer have a need for just man-woman relationships.

Yes, I understand your reasoning, and that is why I said it's an outdated thing as opposed to just plain wrong.

A special programme to promote doctors is OK, when we are in need of doctors. If we are not, then it is not OK. And we no longer have a need for just man-woman relationships.
    Well your initial justification for your opposition to marriage, was that "The state has no business interfering with how I choose to live my personal life"...

Well your initial justification for your opposition to marriage, was that "The state has no business interfering with how I choose to live my personal life"...
    No, my inital statement was that is an outdated concept
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-10-2010 at 23:44.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vuk View Post
    Actually, no, it is not a modern thing. Marriage is designed to protect women, but esp. the children. Marriage is about families, is about children.
    The whole point of marriage is to provide a stable, loving environment for children to grow in. The problem with families today has nothing at all to do with the institution of marriage. The problem is with people. People nowadays are lousy, selfish, untrue, unhonorable, scared, pathetic, lazy pieces of garbage who only care about themselves and are not willing to make the sacrafices needed and to put the time into a family. Those problems would only be worse without marriage.
    People need to be reformed, not the institution. (likewise I would advocate that people need to be destroyed, not the institution. )

If it soley to have kids then..... guess I'm out.

I hate the thought if I marry a very pretty girl that in 50 years she will be just as ugly as me.... I want to be like Hugh Hefner!

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I think marriage is outdated I think it should be scrapped as a legal concept completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    People shouldn't have kids before they really know what they want in life
    Nature is cruel our world tells women to follow this advice Sasaki but she is likely going to be incapable of bearing children by then.

The truth is women should have there kids early but our society has given up on the lifestyle that allowed this to work.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

A perfect situation will never occur.

Thus we should aim to make the best of what we get.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Man I tell that guy I want to wait a bit before we get wed and he runs crying all over the internets with some existential crisis about it.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

No, my inital statement was that is an outdated concept
    It was part and parcel of your original statement, no weasling out this time!

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I think marriage is outdated I think it should be scrapped as a legal concept completely.
    I agree with the bit about the legal issue, it was only ever made a legal issue in the mid-17th century. It was a practical move to make then, it also had a lot of value with the nuclear family as the basic social unit for much of the twentieth century. Less so now, but I still think it is of some value.

Nature is cruel our world tells women to follow this advice Sasaki but she is likely going to be incapable of bearing children by then.

The truth is women should have there kids early but our society has given up on the lifestyle that allowed this to work.
    A problem that is only going to get worse with a new generation brainwashed into thinking that "education--->career---->nice retirement--->grave" is the way to go about life.

I actually think all these latter middle-aged women having kids is more of a social problem than people having them when they are young (within reason of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Man I tell that guy I want to wait a bit before we get wed and he runs crying all over the internets with some existential crisis about it.
    You're going after Strike?

Does that mean his sis is now fair game??

It was part and parcel of your original statement, no weasling out this time!
    Most certainly not! It was a follow-up statement, given that my first statement was true!

And weasling out of stuff is a proud tradition of mine, are you trying to make me deny my heritage?
    Last edited by HoreTore; 12-11-2010 at 00:10.

Most certainly not! It was a follow-up statement, given that my first statement was true!
    Au contraire, your point about rights/your personal life was not contingent on your point about marriage being outdated.

Gah! You are going to make me turn into another Sasaki! Much as his contributions are important, one in the forum is enough! Already we're debating about how we are debating and not what we were meant to be debating about!

I actually think all these latter middle-aged women having kids is more of a social problem than people having them when they are young (within reason of course).

There is often a nagging feeling of consumerism gone mad in the back of my head when I watch tv programmes on IVF and the like.

We should have supports for child rearing at a younger age so the women can return to the workforce or education later on, part of the problem seems to be the endless waiting for things to be perfect.
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 12-11-2010 at 00:27.

Yeah. I don't understand why these career focused psycho-women go on TV complaining about people giving birth in their late teens/early twenties, when it is a completely healthy time to have a child. Doing it to live off benefits is bad but they are not all like that. It ties in with what I'm saying in the education thread, for some reason now everyone has to have a career and put their children second.

And then these same women go on to have children at 45 when there is a much greater risk of complications with the pregnancy, not to mention the fact that they will quite likely be dead/incapacitated before they are grandparents. It's not even fair to their families. Doing the best for the child my ass, they just want to do their own thing in life.

Yeah. I don't understand why these career focused psycho-women go on TV complaining about people giving birth in their late teens/early twenties, when it is a completely healthy time to have a child. Doing it to live off benefits is bad but they are not all like that. It ties in with what I'm saying in the education thread, for some reason now everyone has to have a career and put their children second.

And then these same women go on to have children at 45 when there is a much greater risk of complications with the pregnancy, not to mention the fact that they will quite likely be dead/incapacitated before they are grandparents. It's not even fair to their families. Doing the best for the child my ass, they just want to do their own thing in life.
    My granny was married at 19 to my grandfather and then went on to have 7 kids and that would have been seen as a medium sized family.

The career focused psycho-women are a joke compared to her life.

My granny was married at 19 to my grandfather and then went on to have 7 kids and that would have been seen as a medium sized family.

The career focused psycho-women are a joke compared to her life.
    Yep, those psycho-women are really just a product of their times. It's like with drug addicts, its the way they were raised. In the case of the psycho-women we're told to think it is good and liberating, but is it really?

heh, my Grandmother on my mothers side of the family had 10 sisters and 1 brother (living in Belfast at the time).

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There should be no state intervention in marriage. No tax breaks for married couples, and all that other nonsense either.

It should be about love and relationships, between two people. If they want to have a service or a commitment, they can go ahead. If they are homosexual and the church they are marrying in allows homosexual marriage, they can go in. "Marriage" is up to the people involved.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    between two people
    Why limit it to two?

If three people want to live together in a relationship, shouldn't they?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Typical example is two. As there is no legal involvement, there could be more as bigamy would not be a crime. However, there would not be happy church folk if you disregard their practices and did a christian wedding.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Outdated? No. But, like anything, marriage isn't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Doing things that aren't innate to humanity is innate to humanity.
    This about sums it up.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Typical example is two. As there is no legal involvement, there could be more as bigamy would not be a crime. However, there would not be happy church folk if you disregard their practices and did a christian wedding.
    There should be no state intervention in marriage. No tax breaks for married couples, and all that other nonsense either.

It should be about love and relationships, between two people. If they want to have a service or a commitment, they can go ahead. If they are homosexual and the church they are marrying in allows homosexual marriage, they can go in. "Marriage" is up to the people involved.
    "Typical example is two" is for one reason: children have two parents.

Marriage is a social institution all about children. It's about a stable environment for raising your progeny and protecting them.

All this guff about homosexuals and "straight" couples wanting to have their choice of "marriage" or "civil partnership is complete rubbish.

Two men together will never be married in the same way as a man and a woman.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    "Typical example is two" is for one reason: children have two parents.
    In your fantasy world, yes.

In the real world, human children have been raised by the extended family for milennia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast