Thread: The growing role of Private Military Companies in the UK

Default The growing role of Private Military Companies in the UK

I was reading an article in The Times newspaper today (I'll try to quote a couple of the more relevant bits later if I find time) that was talking about the growing importance of Private Military Companies to the UK's war efforts abroad, especially in Afghanistan. This may seem a rather old topic, as PMC's were very prevalent in Iraq, but the most interesting assertion the author made was that the UK is now so reliant on these PMC's that it's possible it would be unable to fight a war without them! He also talks about the power these PMC's have and about their regulation (or lack thereof).

The most interesting point I drew from this article isn't the obvious one - does the UK's armed forces really need PMC's to achieve victory? Although I'm interested to hear whether fellow Orgahs believe this to be the case, I'm more interested to hear if you believe this trend towards PMC's marks a decline in the importance of the State and its monopoly on violence, with a return to the more mercenary based system seen in the past, especially in light of events in Libya and the mercanaries fighting there?

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: The growing role of Private Military Companies in the UK

PMC's have become vital in protracted and nasty counter-insurgency wars where the limited scale of British forces is insufficient to maintain the wide-scale and enduring presence demanded of 'nation-building'.

We won't be in that game post 2015, so they will not be vital, i.e. determine the outcome. They will still be useful, and still be used however.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seems like a great idea.

Personally I'd make more use of Ghurkas and possibly prisoners (sentences changed into terms of service), but using Mercs is another good option. I think that the UK should be more open about selling their services abroad to others that need assistance.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Boohugh View Post
    The most interesting point I drew from this article isn't the obvious one - does the UK's armed forces really need PMC's to achieve victory? Although I'm interested to hear whether fellow Orgahs believe this to be the case, I'm more interested to hear if you believe this trend towards PMC's marks a decline in the importance of the State and its monopoly on violence, with a return to the more mercenary based system seen in the past, especially in light of events in Libya and the mercanaries fighting there?
    Since the Coalition are making half the Army redundant, firing any pilot with training and building an aircraft carrier minus any planes, one imagines that privatising wars is the only way forward for any imperially minded Prime Minister.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

"Taxation is theft. Private business is the creation of wealth."

Therefore, the entire public sector ought to be privatised. Then hired back to do exactly the same work, but for multiple the amount.

Few things in life are as profitable as selling to the government something the government could do itself, but can't or won't for whatever political reason.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

Therefore, the entire public sector ought to be privatised. Then hired back to do exactly the same work, but for multiple the amount.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Blog Entries

Public services generally have:

Vastly superior pensions
    Significantly higher sickness
    Inflexible work models

Which means that in many cases the government can save money and a private company can make money as they in essence split the difference between the cost if the government were to do it and the costs of a private company doing it.

An analagy would be in the Pharmaceutical Industry. In previous decades, all big Pharma had their own internal departments running clinical trials. That meant for large portions of time they would be underutilised. Now seperate CROs undertake the work and are much more optimally utilised as if one company doesn't need them they go to another: they make a profit and it still costs the Big Pharma less money than having to keep everything in-house.

No, it is not a magical way of making money and the government can still screw it up badly (PFI being a fantastic example). But with careful implimentation it can work well.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Few things in life are as profitable as selling to the government something the government could do itself, but can't or won't for whatever political reason.
    taxation at a level greater than 40% of GDP causes long term damage to economic growth.

taxation at a level greater than 50% is immoral in addition to stupid.

the optimum level of taxation that achieves a balance essential provision and economic growth is somewhere between 25% and 40%.

government spending should attempt to provide the best return-on-investment for its public spending without damaging economic growth.

included within this is the Defence spending.

the ability of western-european social-democracies to continue to hire gender-awareness officers in the next fifty years is DIRECTLY dependent on what we do to promote growth NOW.

failure to understand any of the above should be seen as worry indicator of mental incapacity.

making hyperbolic comparisons should be seen as an indicator that you don't like the fact you don't have any good arguments against the facts above.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 03-08-2011 at 13:44.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    taxation at a level greater than 40% of GDP causes long term damage to economic growth.

taxation at a level greater than 50% is immoral in addition to stupid.

the optimum level of taxation that achieves a balance essential provision and economic growth is somewhere between 25% and 40%.

government spending should attempt to provide the best return-on-investment for its public spending without damaging economic growth.

included within this is the Defence spending.

the ability of western-european social-democracies to continue to hire gender-awareness officers in the next fifty years is DIRECTLY dependent on what we do to promote growth NOW.

failure to understand any of the above should be seen as worry indicator of mental incapacity.

making hyperbolic comparisons should be seen as an indicator that you don't like the fact you don't have any good arguments against the facts above.
    Tell it to the Nordics, who's public spending is above 50%. To me, the world's greatests societies, but you go right ahead and inform Norway, Sweden and Denmark they are 'both stupid and immoral'.

So stupid and immoral, in fact, that they even manage to run budget surplusses. *

Speaking of stupid, in Britain, with its infallible parliamentary system that you fully trust to make the right decisions all of the time, public spending since 1945 has always hovered between the high 30s to high 40s. Even under Thatcher it did not go below forty percent.

* Hence naturally, the Heritage Foundation, champions of family values, fiscal prudence and economic freedom, who make that miserable index of economic 'freedom', put Sweden and Norway down below between Oman, Macau and several Latin American cocaine republics. That's what the Nordics get for not being so 'fiscally prudent' as to hand over all of their and their grandchildren's money to mega corporations and the ultra-rich.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Tell it to the Nordics, who's public spending is above 50%. To me, the world's greatests societies, but you go right ahead and inform Norway, Sweden and Denmark they are 'both stupid and immoral'.
    So stupid and immoral, in fact, that they even manage to run budget surplusses. *

Speaking of stupid, in Britain, with its infallible parliamentary system that you fully trust to make the right decisions all of the time, public spending since 1945 has always hovered between the high 30s to high 40s. Even under Thatcher it did not go below forty percent.
    hmmm, that's not what this document is telling me:
    http://www.research.hsbc.com/midas/R...j&n=282364.PDF

again, that is not what this is telling me:
    http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/do...color=c&title=

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost View Post
    Since the Coalition are making half the Army redundant, firing any pilot with training and building an aircraft carrier minus any planes, one imagines that privatising wars is the only way forward for any imperially minded Prime Minister.
    It gets even better.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

So the general consensus seems to be people aren't too worried about handing over the legal use of force to unregulated (or self-regulated at best) private companies? The article made the point of how heavily legislated the toy making industry is, yet we don't bat an eyelid at sending heavily armed mercenaries abroad with no legislation governing them and as an electorate with no way of holding their actions to account.

Personally I'm torn on the issue in that I can see the sense of PMC's doing some tasks instead of national armed forces, especially if they can do it cheaper (although I'm not yet convinced this is true), but on the other hand I don't like the idea of these companies going around, sometimes doing very sensitive tasks, with very little regulation or oversight.

Regarding the secondary issue of whether it's ok for the UK armed forces to be dependent on these PMC's to operate effectively, I'd be very worried if it were true. As has been the case throughout histroy, it just doesn't seem prudent or safe to rely on mercenaries to provide your national security. If the Armed Forces have gaps in capabilities that prevent them operating effectively, they should be remedied. I don't believe they shouldn't be ignored and outsourced to PMC's for two reasons:

1) Although motivated by money, there will come a point where it would either have been cheaper to do it yourself with armed forces or the PMC will just refuse to do the job due to unacceptable danger. At this stage a state then finds itself unable to perform the mission at all because it left the capability gap.

2) A mercenary will, more often than not, work for the highest bidder. What if you aren't that bidder?

To me, it just seems foolhardy to rely on mercenaries. Make use of them, sure, but for an armed forces to not function effectively without them? No.

Mercenaries should be outlawed, and working as one should be criminalized.

The state should retain the monopoly on violence.

I do, however, find it fascinating to see how free market fanatics will say that a private company doing job X is generating wealth and adding to our economy, while government company doing job X is an expense and hurts our economy. My school is currently counted as an expense. If it was to be privatized, it would've been counted as generating wealth. The stupidity is overwhelming.

What the british are doing is relinquishing control of the armed forces, while at the same time saving no money. Rory's point is that private companies saves us money because they pay less(in pensions). That may be true, but to achieve that the state could just lower pensions for their own employees. There's no reason to pay some private company a ton of money for lowering wages.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

What? Mercenaries are the best option... Ask Carthage…
    To win a war, just pay the enemies’ one (better pension etc) more… Cash.

That is the Big Society for you. Cameron will privatise the Army…

The “Grandes Compagies” the Return with a vengeance II: Du Guesclin, come back!!!!
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Knowing Cameron, he'll hire the Swiss Pikemen. Let's see those taliban handle those Halberds on the battle-field.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

He can't. Only 2 counrtries are allowed to do so: France and the Vatican.
    This because in 1515, at the battle of Marignan, Francis the 1st defeated the Swiss and by treaty they can't be merceneries for others than these 2.
    But, after the Tuilleries Massacre, the Swis decided to stick only with the Vatican.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

I do, however, find it fascinating to see how free market fanatics will say that a private company doing job X is generating wealth and adding to our economy, while government company doing job X is an expense and hurts our economy. My school is currently counted as an expense. If it was to be privatized, it would've been counted as generating wealth. The stupidity is overwhelming.

What the british are doing is relinquishing control of the armed forces, while at the same time saving no money. Rory's point is that private companies saves us money because they pay less(in pensions). That may be true, but to achieve that the state could just lower pensions for their own employees. There's no reason to pay some private company a ton of money for lowering wages.
    Yes the state could reduce pensions... But it's almost impossible. The Police are having their salaries cut as currently they earn a hell of a lot more than nurses, Prison warden, firefighters and even many soldiers. Ah yes, but what about compared to Doctors and Judges was the Police answer.

So, although I agree that there should be no need to get another company to do the same job more efficiently, practically there is. Any change to the status quo is feared - another problem was McKinsey being used by GP consortia to help set them up. No details about rates of return on capital, or calculated savings whatsoever just somehow getting private experts in is wrong and this sort of thing should be left to the Civil Service to mess up again.

I don't think that we're relinquihing control - especially as another option was to share resources with the French (who are renouned for their co-operation and helpfullness...) and more than we've relinquished control of our powerstations since they were sold. Those who pay the bills still set the terms. And I would like to add I am not suggesting that the entirity of the Armed Forces is put to tender in this manner, merely that a portion of the infantry and special forces is to start with who are likely to be the forces that would be used in the majority of cases and if they are bought off by a higher bidder no biggie - as opposed to the same happening with a Trident sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    That is the Big Society for you. Cameron will privatise the Army…
    hyperbole much?

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post

Look at the bright side. Next time you want to raid British Isles.You dont have to send in the longboats, but only buy the British armed forces to do the job for you.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Look at the bright side. Next time you want to raid British Isles.You dont have to send in the longboats, but only buy the British armed forces to do the job for you.
    That would take away all the fun!!!
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban