Thread: iPAD

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default iPAD

Anyone have one? Mom gets a free one and I can have it, but I don't know what to make of, it's not a laptop and that keyboard looks really unpractical, and it isn't a phone. Heard it uses phone networks, do I have to pay per minute when there's no wifi acces point? Bookstore looks cool, do you have to pay by creditcard? And is it nice on the eyes, don't see me reading a book on it. Weird product but it's a huge succes, but you know how Applelites are

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Default Re: iPAD

I have one but just the wifi version. If you have a 3G version you need some data plan just like for a smartphone. Or just not use 3G at all.

You also need an itunes account but I actually don't think a credit card is needed for that: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534

But you do need some way to buy apps and books though. Without anything but what comes with the iPad, you are losing out on a lot of potential. But there are of course a lot of free apps too.

What to use an iPad for? Well I guess that varies from person to person. FWIW I can give a quick rundown on how I use it. But in general I'm now able to do a lot of computer related stuff without being forced to sit in front of my pc. So in the living room or at the breakfast table etc I now have a great and very mobile device. And something that a net/notebook would not be able to do in the same way.

Photoalbum: having thousands of photos on it is quite neat.
    RSS feed reader: never bothered with that on my PC but for the iPad it is a great way of checking out news.
    Ebooks: mainly for PDF files and occasionally epub/Kindle books. IMO you simply won't find a better way of handling PDF's on a handheld device. For game manuals there is no need to print it or alt tab out all the time.
    The casual stuff: wiki, IMDB, youtube and what else. Some of it using the browsers or just one of the apps.

When it comes to reading books then getting the right brightness level is important. It is easy enough to use a way too high level that will hurt your reading experience. But it is possible to lower it down within the reading app, so it all comes down to experimenting until you have found the right level that fits you.

And yes it is a bit of weird product at first. I guess it cannot satisfy the needs for everyone, but it has become a rather indispensable device for me now. It should perhaps be seen more for consuming content than creating it.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

I don't have one, but it makes me wishing I did, maybe. It's a fairly large screen to easily read PDF files, the screen of other book readers is way too small for the articles I read. It having a browser and the option to run apps is nice too.

I have some uncertainties that hold me back from getting one. The screen should still be a little bit larger for me, how long does the battery hold, no USB (?), costs for the data plan, expecting the release of similar and cheaper (not necessarily Apple).
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    I have some uncertainties that hold me back from getting one. The screen should still be a little bit larger for me, how long does the battery hold, no USB (?), costs for the data plan, expecting the release of similar and cheaper (not necessarily Apple).
    Personally I would not want a larger display as it would start to become unwieldy both in size and weight. The current display works ok for A4 PDF's IMO.

Lack of USB. Well it does depend a bit on how you plan on using a tablet I guess. I can access my external HDD that is on wifi 24/7. Plus you have options like cloud storage: dropbox with 2 GB and SugarSync with 5 GB for free. Google also has 1 GB IIRC.

Can't speak for dataplans in the Netherlands. A quick check for Denmark shows stuff like €20 for 5GB/month. Another operator has a €10 with 500 MB included and a max cost of €25 with a rule of max 20GB traffic.

Actually a quick search shows this http://www.dutchdailynews.com/ipad-users/ Dutch iPad Users Pay Among the Highest for Data Worldwide

So perhaps one should use it sparingly.

But if you have no immediate use then you might as well wait a few months and see what comes up. There will be several Android tablets coming this spring/summer and the iPad2 should also arrive in Europe early summer or something.

edit:

Battery life. Reading with low brightness (which is standard unless you are outside) should get you about 12 hours. Watching video through wifi and with max brightness, I think I tried that several months ago but can't remember the specific number of hours, should be at least 6 hours. It basically means that even with heavy usage a fully charged iPad will last the whole day.
    Last edited by CBR; 01-05-2011 at 20:12. Reason: bit about battery life

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

We handed out 10 of them from the IT department where I work. I got to play around with them a little while I was prepping them.... To sum up... I'm not really sure what it's trying to be.

As an e-reader, I think it's a bit on the heavy side and I vastly prefer electronic ink displays to a backlit LCD. It's serviceable as a web browser, but I still prefer a netbook with a real keyboard. The touch screen is very good, but it's still not a keyboard.

The screen is great for media like pictures and videos, but I could never justify the costs to buy myself one. For a couple hundred less than an iPad costs, I could buy a Nook and a dual core netbook and have two devices that are eminently better at performing their intended tasks. Now, if I was getting one free as Frag is... that would be fine.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 01-06-2011 at 03:30.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_techne...berry-playbook

By electronic ink displays you mean something like the Sony e-book reader Xiahou? I heard good reviews about those from addict readers. Very promising for me, as reading from a LCD indeed tires the eyes. The iPAD doesn't have that mode and/or other means to support hours of comfortable and easy reading?

For a pocket-book, a small screen is ok, but that's not so for A4 or larger sized articles. When sitting behind a desk a PC is ok, but when mobile or not behind the desk, even a laptop becomes an ordeal when reading a lot. As for the weight: stacks of paper can be heavy too.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

The PlayBook is a 7 inch. That is ok if it is just epub/kindle books but a bit on the low side for pdf. There has been announced several 10.1 inch Android tablets at CES.

The whole e-ink v LCD eye strain debate is more about personal preference than fact. I never liked and still don't like to read long articles/books on my PC but have no problems on the iPad. It is all about ambient light and brightness of display as well as reading distance. Apps like Kindle or iBooks have 3 reading modes: basic black text on white background, white text on black background and Sepia mode. Plus you can adjust the brightness level down to near all black.

I guess one could say that a LCD is more complex than paper/e-ink, as there is the ambient light plus the added complexity of potentially having to adjust brightness on a tablet. I read one blog comment where a guy claimed he sold his iPad after some time as he had a white rectangle whenever he closed his eyes described it as being a flashlight. So LCD displays can get too complex for some I guess.

A Kindle or Sony is obviously very light so that is an advantage for some.
    Last edited by CBR; 01-06-2011 at 19:05. Reason: corrupt memory

The PlayBook would be too small for me.

I'm not sure why, but Apple monitors seem easier on the eyes than any well configured LCD from another brand. I think my 22" is not the worst there is, but whenever I see an Apple LCD I feel less l337.

Do you have links with specs of devices similar to the current iPAD CBR?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Your monitor use a PVA panel and I think current Apple monitors and computers use IPS. Both produce a better image than the cheaper TN panel but I do think IPS is slightly better. Apple also loves glossy screens and while it has a disadvantage with glare I do believe it gives better contrast over matte displays.

There are really no similar devices to the iPad. That will change very soon though:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_tablet (although very well designed when it comes to ergonomics I consider it to be outdated with its resolution of 1024x600)

The new wave of Android tablets seems to use 1280x800 and Android 3.0 does appear to be a nice OS for tablets.
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/m...irst-hands-on/

Specs seems to be sketchy for now but 10.1 inch display, fast Tegra dual core cpu and I guess similar weight as the iPad.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/a...hose-that-can/

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_techne...berry-playbook

By electronic ink displays you mean something like the Sony e-book reader Xiahou? I heard good reviews about those from addict readers. Very promising for me, as reading from a LCD indeed tires the eyes. The iPAD doesn't have that mode and/or other means to support hours of comfortable and easy reading?
    Yes. Good e-ink screens are almost identical to reading a paperback. I own the Nook and love it- but I don't believe it's available outside the US.

The Sony e-books were some of the first ones I looked at. I think its display is in par with the Kindle/Nook/ect- it just all comes down to features when you're making a decision. What stores can you buy e-books from for use on the device? Can it support the loading of your own content via USB? How easy is it to use and navigate?

Also, anyone who uses any sort of e-reader owes it to themselves to check out this (free) program.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Good e-ink screens are almost identical to reading a paperback. I own the Nook and love it-
    I received a Kindle as a gift, and I'm more ambivalent. Convenient, yes, and the screen is nice, no denying, but "identical to reading a paperback"? Not to my eyes. In an unscientific test I found I read about 50% slower on an e-ink screen. Don't know exactly why. Maybe my skim function doesn't work in translation or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Also, anyone who uses any sort of e-reader owes it to themselves to check out this (free) program.
    Second the motion. Calibre is a great little utility, a must-have for anyone who owns an e-reader. About the only thing it doesn't do well is translate PDFs into other formats, but there are other apps for that ...

Well no iPad for me, action is over the mothership forgot. Just as she forgot arrange theft insurance of my macbook because she was sure I would forget to mail the stuff ('but mom I can rea-' NO!). It was stolen and as it turns out she forgot to mail the stuff. Bye macbook.

Say WHA?

Just my way of mourning my loss. Macbook stolen. Not insured. The mother insisted she would handle insurance because I would forget it. She forgot. No iPad. Special action ended last week.

sigh

You mean there was a special that would have gotten you an iPad had she mailed in the insurance papers?

And since she forgot to mail in, you now have neither?

How was it stolen anyway?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Macbook was stolen in Brussels(figures). It's gone. iPad SHOULD have come with mom taking a two year subscription on a newspaper. Action ended last week, she forgot. No iPad. She also forgot the insurance of teh Macbook, she insisted she would mail it as I would surely forget. I really liked that Macbook life can be so cruel. Thx mom. I still love her

Blog Entries

well, ipad has GPS, you can just register it on itunes and kinda see where it is. Also it has a 4-number-code. You can set a complete delete/reset of your ipad, after 10 times wrong code entering.

Imo Mac products really depends on what you really are working/doin. Just for fun, an ipad is kinda pointless. Simply as it doesnt allow flash, has no usb-port and some small problems with playing certain formats like *avi. There are apps which allow to play this kind of formats.
    Still, if your no real Mac man and just hunt the apple-hype, this product wont really make you happy.

3G is a must, without it, you almost lose anything whats worth to have it.
    I personal use an Exchangesystem in my company, which allows me a full access to my mails, the whole exchangesystem and "push" is just great.
    That allows you to work while traveling, which give me about 2 extra hours each day.

Another little problem is the browser, in normal situation you wont see much of a difference, but there are many browserbased systems out,
    which wants IE or Firefox.

All in all, i never would buy me one just for the fun or entertainment. While for work its great.
    Apple products are sexy, you dont buy apple because its a good price, you buy it because its pretty neet!

Again, you can save every apple product, all you can lose are information on your macbook, if your smart, you have a automatically backupsystem
    and save your ass every night your at home. This way you have maximal a few day lost of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Just for fun, an ipad is kinda pointless. Simply as it doesnt allow flash, has no usb-port and some small problems with playing certain formats like *avi.
    Unless I'm mistaken, there's a version of VLC for the iPad, which means it can play any film format you like. Secondly, if you're feeling adventurous there's a port of Flash for Android that you can install, assuming you're ready to jailbreak your iPad. These are probably not attractive options for the casual or corporate user, however.

I'm still excited about the upcoming Android tablets. They look yummy.
    Last edited by Lemur; 02-14-2011 at 23:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I'm still excited about the upcoming Android tablets. They look yummy.
    The LG Optimus also looked yummy, until I came to the part where they want 999€ for it on release...
    Last edited by Husar; 02-15-2011 at 06:45.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i'm a firm believer in the wisdom expressed here:

http://gigaom.com/mobile/why-i-just-...-size-matters/

If it doesn't fit in your pocket, or unless you are camp enough to carry a man-bag, then a tablet is useless as it won't be taken everywhere.

7" is good, 10" is bad.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

well, in my post i already pointed out, that there are apps, which allow you to play formats like *.avi

If it doesn't fit in your pocket, or unless you are camp enough to carry a man-bag, then a tablet is useless as it won't be taken everywhere.

7" is good, 10" is bad.
    Well, different things for different jobs. A 7" you take if you "walk" around, if you go out into a coffeeshop or something else, while if your working 12+ a day,
    moving (not walking) from one meeting to another, using train, plan (there are lines which dont allow ipads) car.... you just use a 10" which is a lot more comfortable to use.

It really depends on what you want to do.

As I already pointed out, when you use mac since years, you pretty much stick to it.
    I see here completely different POV´s, most look at it from a private use perspective, while i try to show my view from a more workoriented point.

A good example is a jailbreak, i have important information on my ipad or notebook, i need the warranty that i get the information back or money I lost while it is defect.
    A jailbreak i dont mind on stuff I use for fun, while on Stuff for work its impossible.

Also its a question of timing, Im pretty quick with new things, while apple brought the Ipad last summer, other companies need 1 year longer to get out something similar.
    Another big point are apps, right now there is just one platform where apps are programmed, thats apple.

The rest you can just forget, there are few, but nothing worth to mention.
    One thing which will come, is HP. HP sold 64 million computer last year, they move towards apps and this market is big enough to make programmer work for this as well.

Now there are surely people who say that they dont want/need apps at all. I personal think, that we turn pretty quick in an almost 100% app based market.
    Apple sold a little bit more than 15 million ipads of the first generation in a timespan of like 8-9 month, in a new market.
    Two weeks ago apple sold the 10 millard apps on the appstore.

If you now consider, that the Ipad was ready before the Iphone, you can think about how much advanced this system is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    As I already pointed out, when you use mac since years, you pretty much stick to it.
    I see here completely different POV´s, most look at it from a private use perspective, while i try to show my view from a more workoriented point.
    fair point, but speaking as a private user perspective if i'm going to carry around something that big its going to be for a specific task, and i'd be better off with an 11.6" laptop.

outside of this, it needs to be so portable i can take it anywhere with minimal inconvenience, i.e. in a jacket/cargo pocket.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

Well, if you look for something you can take with you everywhere and all the time, an 10" is probably too big, agreed.

About the laptop/notebook, well, i have a 17" macbookpro which is a portable workstation, its useful, if you want to use certain programs.
    A smaller notebook is almost see no use, i tested the small air, but the display is just too small to work any good on it.
    I try to say, that i have clearly separated my needs to certain products.

If im traveling, the Ipad is a lot quicker to answer some mails, put an attachment on the mail or check something in the internet.
    MSN or any other messanger is working, skype is working. To "open" a notebook or laptop (no matter what size) takes a lot more time, needs more space.
    Your Ipad is just one button, take it outa the box, press the button, enter the code and start. Thats sexy, safe me time.
    Now yes, you could do most things as well on you smartphone, but a phone is too small to really enjoy reading emails or write something.

Each thing has its use and its good, that people are different and like different stuff, else this world would be pretty boring ;)

from my perspective a full 'workstation' is something that is best left in a tower case surrounded by three monitors, but there are times when i want to accomplish less demanding productivity/gaming tasks on the move for which a cheap 11.6" Fusion will do very nicely.

if i want to write an email, send on attachment, or whizz off a skype message my n900 does that very nicely without the bulk of a tablet.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

iPad sucks, you can't use it as an oversized iPhone. I got an offer to have one for £100, but it turns out you can't use it as a phone, so it would be a bad replacement. >:(

(also, iPhones cost £500, I don't want to remortgage my non-existent house for that.)
    Last edited by Beskar; 02-18-2011 at 22:41.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

my n900 was originally £500, but i still got it for £112 and an 18 month contract of £20/month inc data..........