Thread: Hometown

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default Hometown

Mine sucks and is 1400 miles from me. I wish it were further away, honestly. How do you feel on the town/place that gave you birth?

Butte is not a very fun place. Lots of drunks, lots of my family, and it is quite dry. Though the mountains are nice, I prefer trees.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Default Re: Hometown

I live in my hometown. I dislike this neighbourhood, but eh, could be worse. I love the nature, though.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

I'm from New Orleans. Which is a fantastic land of awesome, surrounded by magical swamp land.

I am about 1800 miles from there, though.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    I'm from New Orleans. Which is a fantastic land of awesome, surrounded by magical swamp land.

I am about 1800 miles from there, though.
    Do you not like your current home?

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Rural for Low countries standards. In other words every so often you have a few trees or some cows. But actually there's only one guy from my home town I still meet. For the rest I can't see a reason I'd stay. Most probably I'll move to just outside of a medium sized city (not a too big and bussy one, but one which does have all you need and where there's stuff to do). I might miss the close by forrests. But the one near us, though few people these days still know it, actually was a dump for nasty chemical garbage back in the 70's and is the only thing between us and a bunch of factories. So I'm sure to move when I'm finished with studying and having a job. Probably to the town my uni is at.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I do not have a hometown. Only lived in the place of my birth for 6 months (though returned later for 2.5 years). Since then, I have identified myself as being 'from' Cleveland and London at different points in my life, but now I'm not from anywhere; I just live places.

My home town sucks. It's conservative suburban, no kids after 9pm kind of town. There was an arcade, but people thought that would promote drugs because if there is more then 10 kids, then drugs will start being passed around. Now the only fun place left is a TGIF's. Luckily I'm back in uni, so I don't have to put up with all of that.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    My home town sucks. It's conservative suburban, no kids after 9pm kind of town. There was an arcade, but people thought that would promote drugs because if there is more then 10 kids, then drugs will start being passed around. Now the only fun place left is a TGIF's. Luckily I'm back in uni, so I don't have to put up with all of that.
    UGH. This is the kind of idiocy that makes me want to go postal. Youths require stimulation and safe social areas, take away that and they get bored --- recipe for disaster.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I was born in Manhattan, but moved around a bit until I settled down in Atlanta when I was three, so I regard this as my hometown.

Honestly, I hate this place. After sixteen years here, everything is grinding my gears. The people, the weather, the community, the stores, my family. God I cant wait for college. Only one more semester then Im outta here!
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    UGH. This is the kind of idiocy that makes me want to go postal. Youths require stimulation and safe social areas, take away that and they get bored --- recipe for disaster.
    Incidentally, people are outraged when they found out that the police had to arrest over a dozen kids who were passing out ecstasy to people at their high school. Then they blame everything but the fact that the town has nothing for them.

This is the life of kids below 16 years old at my hometown.

1. Go to movies.
    2. Hang out at Starbucks (the police won't let you after 9pm anymore).
    3. Hang out at borders (police won't let you there either).
    4. Stay home and play xbox live with your friends all day.
    5. Do drugs.

I chose 1, 3 and 4. But it is not surprising that freshman and sophomores who are bored choose 5 as well.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

My hometown will soon be overrun by Mexican drug cartels, so I'm pretty glad don't live there anymore.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The area itself is lovely with a classic English rural feel to it. Regrettably however the area has attracted a lot of "new money" the past couple of years, basically young people who have made lots of money early on so feel some sort of dignified right to everything in life. I guess some of the places 10 minutes up the road are worse, that place is pretty much the richest place in the UK outside of London and the members of the Manchester United team make up what seems a large portion of the population, although that's probably due to the high visibility they demand when going about their daily business.

If the people weren't there I would love it though, I always have had an infinity for nature. I guess my university city has filled the void though considering I can experience the joys of a city with the peak district within walking distance.

Good times.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was born about 20 minutes from where I live now. I grew up 10 minutes from where I live.

Still here, don't plan to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    Do you not like your current home?
    If I could choose, I would be back home. But for now this place is not so bad.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by tibilicus View Post
    The area itself is lovely with a classic English rural feel to it. Regrettably however the area has attracted a lot of "new money" the past couple of years, basically young people who have made lots of money early on so feel some sort of dignified right to everything in life. I guess some of the places 10 minutes up the road are worse, that place is pretty much the richest place in the UK outside of London and the members of the Manchester United team make up what seems a large portion of the population, although that's probably due to the high visibility they demand when going about their daily business.
    Wilmslow? Pretty place. Can't say I ever noticed the footballsie types, but then I'd struggle to spot them if they were right up in m'face doing a wee dance. My hometown's not too far away. It's a bloody sty. Courtesy of my parents' hard work and general yuppiness I had the good fortune to live on the verge of the only decent road in the place. Went back about a month ago. The local's shut. The cricket field's been set aside for housing. Drains were broke and overflowing. Some pleb had done their business in the street. Was it always like that? And what happened to the row-upon-row of pale birches and towering horse-chestnuts? Did they always have "Generic Chav Woz Ere" carved into their trunks and bog roll cast into their branches? Woe.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

My hometown is renowned as one of the crappiest places in western Scotland, which is saying something.

Half of the high street is dead, the other half is charity shops. One of Labour's strongest areas in Scotland (again, saying something). And after some violence at Orange Marches we have a street that has been dubbed "Scotland's Garvaghy Road".

Yay!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's nice, but at the same time I feel as if it's offered pretty much everything it's had to offer in the 15ish years I lived there. Glad to be back there on school vacations, but I'm also glad when I'm leaving. The food can't be beat though.

Right now I live in DC, which is significantly more interesting. However, I also don't think I'll plant my flag there after I graduate in a year and a half.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Come from a tiny village in the biblebelt called Voorthuizen, take everything that's depressing and multiply it with 2, don't remember much of it though. Where I live now is awesome, in the heart of an old town packed with good restaurants and cafeteria and really nice people, it's my real hometown. But Paris is going to be my next one, every time I'm there I just know that's where I ought to be, it wraps me in a blanket and keeps me all warm just being there. Maybe New York, also a burst of energy but I don't like the people living there as I like the French, -this is my life boohoohoo folks- there. whiners capital

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

London. England. Pretty place, with too many people, that has become too expensive --- excellent graffiti though:

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I like my hometown, but I wish it was bigger and had more things to do and had better music scene. But not too big, because I love the desert and the scenery.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

San Antonio De Bexar

I love that town
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

i was born in san diego california moved to corpus christi texas promptly left for virginia beach virginia lived in summers conneticut then trasitioned over to southern maryland at which point i moved to new york city.

ah the life of a navy child....... which is why i joined the army.

a life of fort bennings el paso and fort drum await me..... lovely.

personally i would love to live in san diego again i spend alot of time there. but im most comfortable in the south. love the people love the life.

oh and hooah..... im sorry but shocking. A jewish american born in the City. this surprising anyone else. lol i like atlanta though trust me new englanders and basically anyone past the maso dixon life is an ***

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    oh and hooah..... im sorry but shocking. A jewish american born in the City. this surprising anyone else. lol i like atlanta though trust me new englanders and basically anyone past the maso dixon life is an ***
    Huh?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

i live in NYC now....... there are really alot of jewish americans man...... i mean im sure you know that. i just found it a little humourous.... of course you were born there its probably a decently high percentage that you were lol.

I love this land. It's sacred. Who else can claim they live a short drive away from their family graveyard where historic people such as hereditary chiefs, treaty-signers, medicine men/women, etc. from past centuries lie? The mere thought of it is enough to bring tears to my eyes. All of that, it's in my blood. It's carried on by my life and by my name. It's worth dying for but, more importantly, it's worth living for. Micwach.

^ quite a few people who didnt immigrate

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I love this land. It's sacred. Who else can claim they live a short drive away from their family graveyard where historic people such as hereditary chiefs, treaty-signers, medicine men/women, etc. from past centuries lie? The mere thought of it is enough to bring tears to my eyes. All of that, it's in my blood. It's carried on by my life and by my name. It's worth dying for but, more importantly, it's worth living for. Micwach.
    It must be very nice to have a connection to family of old.

Paris has some great graveyards.

My kingdom for a .

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    Paris has some great graveyards.
    Yes but it also 'has it', it's got a soul. Few city's have that, bet your New Orleans does though. Paris has it, New York has it, Amsterdam has (had?) it even if it turned really really boring. You can visit Berlin or Barcelona or any place but somethings just missing

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Antique cemetarys here abound. Nothing better than visiting an old plot, reading a weatherd stone and introducing yourself to someone who lived in your home town 200 or so years ago. Not the age of European cemetaries, but old by our standards. The plots out in the middle of nowhere in the woods are the best! Not to be too morbid or anything.
    Silence is beautiful