Thread: He was Crazy, but we need to tone it down

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default He was Crazy, but we need to tone it down

So everyone agrees that the Tuscon shooter was crazy and the heated political rhetoric had not affect on him

Yet we are being told to slow the vitrol

But if the man was crazy and in his own little world, none of that should matter

Someone give me and out, I don't want to agree with Rush but I will
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Default Re: He was Crazy, but we need to tone it down

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    So everyone agrees that the Tuscon shooter was crazy and the heated political rhetoric had not affect on him

But if the man was crazy and in his own little world, none of that should matter

What's bizarre about that? The people who smashed her office weren't crazy and it's perfectly obvious that something can be bad regardless of it's relation to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    What's bizarre about that? The people who smashed her office weren't crazy and it's perfectly obvious that something can be bad regardless of it's relation to the shooter.
    But there saying the catalyst isn't really the catalyst but it really is the catalyst

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

But there saying the catalyst isn't really the catalyst but it really is the catalyst
    What was john stewert's march thing about?

What was john stewert's march thing about?
    An attempnt to boost saging ratings?

Stewarts rally was round lulzed but the politicos, this is being taken very seriously.

I guess when your ass is held to the fire it burns

An attempnt to boost saging ratings?

Stewarts rally was round lulzed but the politicos, this is being taken very seriously.

I guess when your ass is held to the fire it burns
    Stewart's ratings has always been consistently great for a cable show. He actually cares about the state of the country and was genuine in the message he gave at the end of the rally.

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    Stewart's ratings has always been consistently great for a cable show. He actually cares about the state of the country and was genuine in the message he gave at the end of the rally.
    Which was something like, "quit all this angry yelling, vitriol, etc" wasn't it?

The tucson thing brought the issue of vitriol into the spotlight after the news people had been lazily letting it slide. Now that it's there things should be said about it--like they should have been said before.

Which was something like, "quit all this angry yelling, vitriol, etc" wasn't it?

The tucson thing brought the issue of vitriol into the spotlight after the news people had been lazily letting it slide. Now that it's there things should be said about it--like they should have been said before.
    His words:

All hail Lebowitz

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

word.

the political environment has become dangerously polarised, and a step back from brink might be beneficial for all regardless of the non-link to the crazy shooter.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    word.

the political environment has become dangerously polarised, and a step back from brink might be beneficial for all regardless of the non-link to the crazy shooter.
    not really, this country has been far more polarised than this. We've just become pussies who can't handle criticism and want to run home to mommy when our feelings get hurt. I'd like to go back to a time when politicians dueled and over 600,000 citizens die over states rights and slavery. That kind of thing makes me horny.
    RIP Tosa

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Unless....it was the environment that made the crazy.

That the crazy wasn't adherring to a "message" is a different issue.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Unless....it was the environment that made the crazy.
    That's now how paranoid schizophrenia works. First comes the crazy, then comes the (inhuman and illogical) reasoning.

Do crazy people react to their environment? Of course. But it does not appear that the political atmopshere played any meaningful role in the shooter's madness.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    That's now how paranoid schizophrenia works. First comes the crazy, then comes the (inhuman and illogical) reasoning.

Do crazy people react to their environment? Of course. But it does not appear that the political atmopshere played any meaningful role in the shooter's madness.
    Are you sure? There is a pervasive atmosspere of fear and paranoia in US politics right now. The political environment is toxic, that may well have affected the kind of crazy this young man became.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Because certain media types decided that this would be used against the Right, regardless of the real motivations of the shooter. They took a tragedy and made it into a political circus. Now, among people who are not particularly interested in reading the grim details of this story, there is an impression that the incident and the Right are somehow intertwined when they are not. Facts don't really matter at this point, the mental connection within the public has been made.

I have to tip my hat to the journolistas on this one. They saw an opportunity, didn't let journalistic integrity or their own humanity slow them down, and established a narrative with impressive speed and forcefulness. Andrew Breitbart should take heed.
    Last edited by PanzerJaeger; 01-21-2011 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    Because certain media types decided that this would be used against the Right, regardless of the real motivations of the shooter. They took a tragedy and made it into a political circus. Now, among people who are not particularly interested in reading the grim details of this story, there is an impression that the incident and the Right are somehow intertwined when they are not. Facts don't really matter at this point, the mental connection within the public has been made.

I have to tip my hat to the journolistas on this one. They saw an opportunity, didn't let journalistic integrity or their own humanity slow them down, and established a narrative with impressive speed and forcefulness. Andrew Breitbart should take heed.
    Glenn Beck told his viewers last year "You're gonna have to shoot them in the head." That is not out of context. It really isn't letting their humanity slowing them down to say, hey maybe everyone should stop saying things like that because someone did just get shot in the head. If anything, that is humanity at its best. Willing to put others before them instead of continuing to say hateful things under the guise of protecting freedom of speech.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    Are you sure? There is a pervasive atmosspere of fear and paranoia in US politics right now.
    Not disagreeing that the atmosphere is bad, but a paranoid schizophrenic can crop up anywhere, in any atmosphere. There is no evidence that he was influenced by Fox News, the Tea Party, Sarah Palin or any other media/political figure.

Glenn Beck told his viewers last year "You're gonna have to shoot them in the head." That is not out of context.
    True, but there is no evidence that the shooter was a Beck viewer, so it is out of context. Let's not overdo things; Glenn Beck is already conencted with two shootings. We don't need to add this one when it is unmerited.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-21-2011 at 20:28.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Everyone pretty much agrees the shooter was not an ideologicvally driven, rational, political assassin.

The effect of the political climate and rhetoric on the event remain very much in dispute. I, for one, think this did have a major effect on the shooter. The shooter suffers from schizophrenia, not mental retardation. That is, he is well aware of the world, but can't distuingish between reality and fantasy ('dreams', the messed up 'grammar' in his head). The environmental factor works more subtle than 'Palin / Beck told him to do it'.

I don't understand why the policital climate should be considered irrelephant because the shooter was mentally unstable. I believe that instable people are more, not less, susceptible to their environment.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerJaeger View Post
    I have to tip my hat to the journolistas on this one. They saw an opportunity, didn't let journalistic integrity or their own humanity slow them down, and established a narrative with impressive speed and forcefulness.
    The 'political hatemongering' angle originated with the first reactions of the local sheriff, followed by Grifford's close aides and relatives. Unsurprisingly, because both are acutely aware of the relentless hatemongering campaigns, death threats and terrorist attacks miss Grifford has had to endure ever since the Tea Party rose to prominence.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Everyone pretty much agrees the shooter was not an ideologicvally driven, rational, political assassin.

The effect of the political climate and rhetoric on the event remain very much in dispute. I, for one, think this did have a major effect on the shooter. The shooter suffers from schizophrenia, not mental retardation. That is, he is well aware of the world, but can't distuingish between reality and fantasy ('dreams', the messed up 'grammar' in his head). The environmental factor works more subtle than 'Palin / Beck told him to do it'.

I don't understand why the policital climate should be considered irrelephant because the shooter was mentally unstable. I believe that instable people are more, not less, susceptible to their environment.
    Heh. He said "irrelephant."

So BORED!

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Glenn Beck told his viewers last year "You're gonna have to shoot them in the head." That is not out of context. It really isn't letting their humanity slowing them down to say, hey maybe everyone should stop saying things like that because someone did just get shot in the head. If anything, that is humanity at its best. Willing to put others before them instead of continuing to say hateful things under the guise of protecting freedom of speech.
    Beck's diatribe suggested that the Democrats would end up having to shoot the communist extremists they co-opted, but that they might get overthrown first because they were communist revolutionaries first and democrat supporters way second. Still not a nice reference, but not actually an advocacy of bloodshed by Beck.

However, one right wing radio talk show host did make such a pronouncement: G. Gordon Liddy; Second Link. He got an award for it.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

the American political discussion has been out of hand for years now....is that so hard to admit?

Look at Faux News denying they use Nazi references -> cue "roll 212" moment of them being made to look like idiots.

"If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin