Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using TWS2 what kind of mod would you like to see in the future?

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Using TWS2 what kind of mod would you like to see in the future?

Well, IF the game is easy to mod then what kind of mod would you like to see?
    What time period? What part of the world?

I think that if it is possible then I would like to see a mod about the colonization. End of 15th century-16th century. I like the way how the campaign map in S2TW has both 3D and 2D look. To me this would really make playing the arrival of conquistadores to America enjoyable.

Default Re: Using TWS2 what kind of mod would you like to see in the future?

I would settle in modding the game in STW enviroment. With the current speed CA is releasing games, non time period/ different culture mods maybe becoming very rare things in totalwar.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Blog Entries

So, you would like to see "Vanilla mod" type of modification? Something that improves the original game but doesn't add much to it?

Quote Originally Posted by I-K View Post
    So, you would like to see "Vanilla mod" type of modification? Something that improves the original game but doesn't add much to it?
    If the game is moddable i would like to see a mod that might make some historically accurate changes to the vanilla and if possible give us more playable factions. I might join or start such project myself also. From what information we have i think 10 factions playable is bit low number to accurately show the situation of early 1550´s which the current starting date seems to be. For example if i would give examples per region of powerful clans that are not playable. In Kyushu, Otomo Clan at the time was lot stronger then Shimazu. In Shikoku Chosokabe was then only a minor Clan. For example Miyoshi,Ichijo and Kono were all more powerful then Chosokabe. In Western Japan Mori was puny compared to both Ouchi and Amako. Oda for example was at the time divided on two warring branches, so they didnt even hold all of Owari province...And the list goes on. Here is a map of Japan with Clans roughly around the time period the game is starting:

http://www.samurai-archives.com/1550.html
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Autocrat Member Vlad The Impaler's Avatar

I would like to see a mod Era of Warring States or Three Kingdoms period
    Tough Times Don't Last. Tough People Do. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. [Mark Twain]

Blog Entries

Warring states or Three Kingdoms era would be quite interesting!

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Either a VanillaMod or a full conversion to RTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Blog Entries

Well, I can hope that there will be EB 3 using S2TW engine.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Small mods for feudal Japan. Maybe Onin or early Sengoku. Perhaps also mid or later Sengoku or something that displays the turbulent changes in warfare during that era.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    If the game is moddable i would like to see a mod that might make some historically accurate changes to the vanilla and if possible give us more playable factions. I might join or start such project myself also. From what information we have i think 10 factions playable is bit low number to accurately show the situation of early 1550´s which the current starting date seems to be. For example if i would give examples per region of powerful clans that are not playable. In Kyushu, Otomo Clan at the time was lot stronger then Shimazu. In Shikoku Chosokabe was then only a minor Clan. For example Miyoshi,Ichijo and Kono were all more powerful then Chosokabe. In Western Japan Mori was puny compared to both Ouchi and Amako. Oda for example was at the time divided on two warring branches, so they didnt even hold all of Owari province...And the list goes on. Here is a map of Japan with Clans roughly around the time period the game is starting:

http://www.samurai-archives.com/1550.html
    Thinking a bit about this over the last 24 hours, I'd be interested. Did you ever play VanillaMod by FactionHeir for M2TW?

That combined with historical accuracy.

Of course, if the PM from that mafia game was serious, then I'll take my thinking elsewhere.

Vote: Sasaki Member ByzantineKnight's Avatar

Rome would be nice but I have a feeling Rome 2 is next...

Three Kingdoms sounds amazing however!
    RIP Tosa, I can't believe you are gone, but we will never forget you

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

What about a Korea mod? They are in a tough position but it would be fun fighting off Japan and China.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First thing I'd like is a mod that simple unlocks all the other factions. It looks every province will have it's own faction, similar to Empire, and I would like to be able to play them all. After that, I find adding additional provinces and factions is always nice.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 02-01-2011 at 18:07.

I agree with that Cecil XIX,

It allows to choose an underdog clan and really get into it.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Maybe very challenging to mod, but I'ld like to see a MP mod. 10 years ago it was 4 players vs 4 players, as far as I know TWS2 will also only support 4 vs 4. It will be nice to have support for larger teams (less units per player if required), but more players in each team. A 3th or 4th team could also make it interesting.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

If speaking about the battles itself, i would like to see different warlords control certain parts of the whole army.
    I dont think about a certain number of player involved, but you could let 4-6 player control different things, like general, cav, flank and so on.
    This would move away from this "bring some armies and lets go", it would spice things up, since you cant counter anything yourself. You have to really team up with your buddies.

If like the idea of needing at least 2-3 player on a flank-maneuver, since you cant just go alone with some horses, you need some backup or support, which has to be a different player.
    To move as a whole, to attack as one army, will pretty much reflect the communication back at that era.
    You have to use some kind of Teamspeak to get things done, you will need a leader and some hierarchy to make it work.

I see 2 big armies facing each other, controlled by more than 6 player on each side.
    There has to be rules for what unitcombinations are not allowed or simply give a fixed amount of units to each player (probably the best way).

Mag and me did first steps in this direction, while we split in cav and infantry. We had to completely mix all the units and it was quite complex to control, hard to master, but insane fun.

Something like this you can easy turn into some kind of tourney, which will need a lot of train, skill and practice.
    At least better, than bringing 8 armies...

Koc

Yes that kind of things are fun too Kocmoc. I recall some battles like Yamaga thought out, they were called ruled battles. It was a 2 vs 2 were one player had an infantry army, that consisted of mainly low ranking ashigaru spears and the other player had something like 4 cavalry units and was the general.

Talking during a game drives me crazy however and simply doesn't work for me. Yuuki and me played some of those games though without sharing a single word, and we didn't do worse than people who used Roger Wilco. Something like TeamSpeak will be fine, but just some practice, reading the whole field, the moves of your friends and opponents works too.

In the original games we had the adf and bdf files, those were used to describe where the battle was fought and how many units each player had where. Those didn't work online though. I recall RTW had online historical battles, is there still anything like that? While it's not as flexible as it could be, something like that would work.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Well, 10 years ago we didnt use RW to play our games. Today I see it different, if you want to compete on a high lvl of gaming you need some kind of teamspeak.

Is modding possible? I did read some months ago, that CA kinda "closed" the door for modding?!??
    It would be great if its possible again, since i see a huge community around that kind of things.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    If speaking about the battles itself, i would like to see different warlords control certain parts of the whole army.
    I dont think about a certain number of player involved, but you could let 4-6 player control different things, like general, cav, flank and so on.
    This would move away from this "bring some armies and lets go", it would spice things up, since you cant counter anything yourself. You have to really team up with your buddies.
    Have you heard of a game called "World in Conflict"?

Its set in modernish times, but it manages to do what you've said. It could be a lot of fun.

Basically, its up to i think 8v8, each player can still choose units, but is limited to what they can choose. So the infantry player can get all the infantry at the normal cost, tank can gets tanks, air gets air etc etc

But it doesnt pigenhole that. If the infantry player wants some tanks, he can get the light or medium, but not the heavy. And they cost more.

Obviously there couldn't be that much variation, but it could be a very enjoyable multiplayer mode if they implemented that idea.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    Have you heard of a game called "World in Conflict"?

Its set in modernish times, but it manages to do what you've said. It could be a lot of fun.

Basically, its up to i think 8v8, each player can still choose units, but is limited to what they can choose. So the infantry player can get all the infantry at the normal cost, tank can gets tanks, air gets air etc etc

But it doesnt pigenhole that. If the infantry player wants some tanks, he can get the light or medium, but not the heavy. And they cost more.

Obviously there couldn't be that much variation, but it could be a very enjoyable multiplayer mode if they implemented that idea.
    Yes, i played it. Its without moral and a bit different. Also a lot less complex from the point of controlling. Its one of those games, where you can get some quick games.
    Well made, good tactical teamplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kocmoc View Post
    Well, 10 years ago we didnt use RW to play our games. Today I see it different, if you want to compete on a high lvl of gaming you need some kind of teamspeak.
    Some people did.

I haven't played any since Kingdoms and those were 1vs1, so I can't really comment on the need for it. I noticed though that using textchat while you play is more resource intensive. Teams who need to communicate a lot during their games probably better use voicechat.

Is modding possible? I did read some months ago, that CA kinda "closed" the door for modding?!??
    It would be great if its possible again, since i see a huge community around that kind of things.
    STW wasn't supposed to be mod able either afaik, there will be mods for TWS2.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu View Post
    STW wasn't supposed to be mod able either afaik, there will be mods for TWS2.
    But not likely for Multiplayer.

S2TW may be VAC secured (Valve Anti Cheat)

If you modify files, it could pick it up as cheating. If you are detected to be cheating, your steam account is banned. Anything registered to that steam account is lost forever. So if you bought ETW, NTW and S2TW on the one steam account, got banned due to modding in S2TW, you would lose the ability to play ETW and NTW as well, forever. You cannot be unbanned. You may even own the boxes, but you wouldn't be able to play singleplayer.

Hello pevergreen,

That might be an extra hurdle, however there are mods for VAC secured games. It checks whether everyone is using the same files, not whether you are using vanilla ones.

This can however be a big blow to developping MP mods: in the past we had many problems with the tiniest meaningless files differing on two computers with a CTD as result.

But wasn't VAC something that's turned on by the host?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

Hello pevergreen,

That might be an extra hurdle, however there are mods for VAC secured games. It checks whether everyone is using the same files, not whether you are using vanilla ones.

This can however be a big blow to developping MP mods: in the past we had many problems with the tiniest meaningless files differing on two computers with a CTD as result.

But wasn't VAC something that's turned on by the host?
    How VAC works can depend from game to game. Though it is compared to what Steam believes is the base file, not if everyone else is using the same file. What if everyone in the game was cheating?

Can it be turned on by the host? Maybe. Only time will tell. It may be on automatically when you host.

But that would mean that anyone making a mod needs to contact Valve/Steam to base their files, and again when it updates. That will be a lot of work for Steam.

I've seen Counterstrike mods on Steam, online, being VACed. It may indeed differ from game to game. Was Kingdoms using Steam for online games?
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Blog Entries

But that would mean that anyone making a mod needs to contact Valve/Steam to base their files, and again when it updates. That will be a lot of work for Steam.

I've seen Counterstrike mods on Steam, online, being VACed. It may indeed differ from game to game. Was Kingdoms using Steam for online games?
    Kingdoms was the primary introducor of SecuROM IIRC.

Counterstrike and other games can be set up as such, we don't know if CA will do that.

VAC only patrols multiplayer. Not singleplayer. If it matches the file list for MP, its fine. But some games its that bad that something like different graphics could trigger it, not different prices or something.

CS is also different, seeing as its a Valve product.

Blog Entries

It seems we can forget mods for S2TW.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424476

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I-K View Post
    It seems we can forget mods for S2TW.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=424476
    Nothing new in there.

Blog Entries

Thats indeed nothing new. I still try to believe in CA and hope, that they see the huge market of modding.
    There are so many real good mods out, it would be a shame to not let people provide stuff for the game they love.

Not to forget, that this input is brought for free.
    It could be a good way to involve the best mods and charge some bugs on steam, call it "apps".

Anyway, a bit offtopic... sorry

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

I have to agree that non-time period/area mods are becoming difficult to find due to the now-extensive time and settings of Total War games.

That being said, I'd love to see a mod allowing us to go into China and more of Southeast Asia (Vietnam, Korea, etc.). Or, barring that, a sort of EB for Japan. Extreme historical accuracy in Vanilla (of course the names would have to be transliterated, for I do not know Japanese letters).
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast