Thread: soo....blizzard anyone?

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default soo....blizzard anyone?

This feels like winter. I miss it soo much. Nothing makes you feel more like running than running a couple miles through one-four feet of snow, pending the snowdrift. Stinging snow, almost no visiblity, power is doomed to fail at some point (I think, at least. better not, I need the computer tomorrow.) Anyways, yes, I am excited, this blizzard is exciting, and I am also shamed that a dinky blizzard such as this can excite me. Where is the storm of the century? Is this the best nature can hit me with? I have an A-frame roof, I am not frightened.

EDIT: Only about six inches of snow fall, but what with the wind, the plows, and everything else, my running places have alot of snow.
    Last edited by Motep; 02-02-2011 at 04:02.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Default Re: soo....blizzard anyone?

Meh, I recently moved from NJ back to my homeland of California. One thing I do not miss are the snow storms and extended periods of cold and snow. Today, it was Spring-like here, sunny, calm and conducive to casual strolls along the murmuring river with a friend and her dog. The winter storms back east toughened me up nicely, but I'm glad to be back in the land of sunshine, despite our other (economic) woes. High temperatures for the week range from 59 to 65 degrees fahrenheit. Lows are still a bit on the cold side (35-47), but I can live with that.

Blizzards? No thankee.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

This is actually a very timely blizzard. The upcoming races in the northeast and midwest are being threatened by the lack of snow, a good 6-12 fresh inches should keep the sled trails viable for a couple weeks. Let it snow!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Gah....I think we're getting to much snow.
    After that Christmas SNAFU where no streets were plowed for a few days (I live in NYC), no one wants anymore snow.
    But we got it anyways. A few times already.
    And now my back is killing me.
    I would rather go to school.

Just last night did the city block off my street and have huge CAT tractors remove the mounds of snow sitting on the sides for weeks.
    And its supposed to be snowing again in just a few hours.
    Great.
    Last edited by thefluffyone93; 02-02-2011 at 05:46.
    "They're just overloaded from the spamgasm."-Askthepizzaguy
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy
    "TheFluffyOne makes me feel moist."-Askthepizzaguy

Quote Originally Posted by Thefluffyone93 View Post
    Gah....I think we're getting to much snow.
    After that Christmas SNAFU where no streets were plowed for a few days (I live in NYC), no one wants anymore snow.
    But we got it anyways. A few times already.
    And now my back is killing me.
    I would rather go to school.

Just last night did the city block off my street and have huge CAT tractors remove the mounds of snow sitting on the sides for weeks.
    And its supposed to be snowing again in just a few hours.
    Great.
    Just be glad, then, not to live near chicago. Nonstop snow until tomorrow afternoon. 9 inches landed, about 15 more to go. Not alot, all told, but maybe that is just me. Shoveling is pain.

Not a lot? 24 inches of snow is not a lot? The Christmas blizzard we got hit with was only 20 inches, but the worst part was the wind.
    Complete whiteout everywhere,; cars were abandoned on the streets and highways, and even the public transportation and emergency vehicles
    couldn't get anywhere.
    Hope you don't get it as bad as we did, Motep.
    "... Either your as destructive as the most depraved 4 channer or so devious that you can cause the most trouble while acting utterly oblivious as to make us think your too dumb to be doing this intentionally... and the scary thing is I cant help but think the latter."-Greyblades
    "Thefluffyone is the greatest thing to happen to the .org since Beefy187."-Askthepizzaguy

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    ... Shoveling is pain.
    Gah! Indeed it is. While in NJ I lived in an apartment, so we didn't have to do that as the maintenance guys took care of it. But when I was in Reno, the house where I was staying had a sloped three-car driveway, and shoveling that after several feet of snow was a major undertaking. Eventually I just gave up and told my bro that I'd shovel one lane so he could pull in and out, but if he wanted it all done, he'd have to help.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Sometimes I wonder why I have yet to buy a snowblower.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thefluffyone93 View Post
    Not a lot? 24 inches of snow is not a lot? The Christmas blizzard we got hit with was only 20 inches, but the worst part was the wind.
    Complete whiteout everywhere,; cars were abandoned on the streets and highways, and even the public transportation and emergency vehicles
    couldn't get anywhere.
    Hope you don't get it as bad as we did, Motep.
    Okay, the wind is what is making it terrible. Drifts golore, and you can hardly see across the street. We are only getting two feet of snow, but with the winds, the effective snow piles where it sticks may be twice that or more. Four feet is respectable. Plows were called off about an hour ago, and are going to head out again in the morning. Should be some interesting traveling tonight. Vacant roadways, but always bring a shovel. It is actually would be fun if there were nt other drivers. Makes me glad to drive a Pontiac Aztec, that thing almost never gets stuck in the snow. I would love to go somewhere, but if I do get hopelessly stuck I would be kinda screwed. No looking forward to shoveling again tomorrow. Never that.

Also: snowblower would be a godsend

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

This blizzard is a travesty, as there were no stores or restuarants open and I had to visit a Wal-Mart. THE HORROR!!!!1

Then on the way home, I saw China Happy Garden was open and wished I had seen them on the way to Wal-Mart. That still would not have solved my toilet paper problem, but between the napkins and the fortune-papers I could have made due until tomorrow.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Sorry, I've never played WOW, but I hear that Diablo 3 is coming out soon... maybe.

My kingdom for a .

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    Sorry, I've never played WOW, but I hear that Diablo 3 is coming out soon... maybe.

Always post 11 that turns where I feared...

EDIT: Snow gave up after 14 inches, I guess, but I also guess that our location on the block is simply terrible. I'd give an average depth of what I had to shovel at about two and a half feet- three feet. Neighbor has a snowblower. He said hi, and then turned off the snowblower and brought it back into his garage. Two hours to shovel the driveway, small breaks included.

EDIT: On an equal level of annoyance, I am now out of garlic parmesan cheeze its.
    Last edited by Motep; 02-02-2011 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    ........OOOOHHH......
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I live in Canada.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Megas Methuselah View Post
    I live in Canada.

That shouldn't matter, as I think they have servers for y'all too... Or do y'all just go with UO?

My kingdom for a .