Thread: steam help

Default steam help

Hey . I'm loving RTW. wanting to try out the Europa Barbarorum. I was wondering if you can use the mod even if RTW is dloaded off steam. If it is possible wanna help a nub out and give a walk threw of how to instal it???? thanks a bunch!

Default Re: steam help

I know this video is centered around EB's Trivial Script software, but that piece of software is directly related to the most important settings of the game, and if you installed Rome using the CDs then it can also run your game for you. It was not programmed to run EB if Rome was bought using Steam, but that is not a matter. If you view the video, and read the video description, you will notice that the simple creation of one shortcut and the editing of that shortcut's parameters will allow you to run EB even if Rome was bought through Steam (I promise it works, because I myself bought Rome through Steam).

EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Properties, set lauch options

insert this in the box

-show_err -mod:eb
    War is a puzzle with morphing pieces

I make Ancient Weapons and Armor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith View Post
    Properties, set lauch options

insert this in the box

-show_err -mod:eb
    Yeah! I'd do this if I didn't need the original Rome or BI, since there are only one set of launch options for each game in Steam.
    Former Projects:

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Arrow Re: steam help

(Belatedly) moving to the tech subforum.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

I'll keep it short and sweet, I followed the video pretty closely but are you using vista? I ask because your program path is different then mine, I have no /c steam folder, it all goes through the Programs x86 file. what would be my proper target link for the desktop shortcut so I may start the game properly? thanks for the time.
    (also good luck with the new mod for M2:TW!)
    ~Lukas

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    I'll keep it short and sweet, I followed the video pretty closely but are you using vista? I ask because your program path is different then mine, I have no /c steam folder, it all goes through the Programs x86 file. what would be my proper target link for the desktop shortcut so I may start the game properly? thanks for the time.
    (also good luck with the new mod for M2:TW!)
    ~Lukas
    Use the same parameters, but make sure you point to the Steam executable, no matter where it is. I simply installed Steam in the root of my hard drive. If Steam is located in Program Files, you know where to look.
    Former Projects:

Might be a local content problem since the .exe don't work directly (using Total war Gold by the way) so going try re-installing local content through steam

Might be a local content problem since the .exe don't work directly (using Total war Gold by the way) so going try re-installing local content through steam
    You certainly want your content to be valid and in working order before you go about with these shortcuts.
    Former Projects:

Ran the restart, checked the program86 steam file,and the direct short links to either R:TW or R:TW BI doesn't work either, same error as with EB *laughs* my other game direct links work too, must be an issue with Gold edition

Ran the restart, checked the program86 steam file,and the direct short links to either R:TW or R:TW BI doesn't work either, same error as with EB *laughs* my other game direct links work too, must be an issue with Gold edition
    Then explain how my Steam version of EB launches fine. Remember: Steam sells Rome not as a stand-alone but as Rome-Gold. I have what you have. Why does one of us have a workable setup while the other does not?
    Former Projects:

well it's the great mystery for our time. But I found an alternative and use the "-show_err -mod:eb " until I find the motivation to find out why. will keep tabs on the thread when a more stable solution is found later on

C:\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -ne -mod:eb

That's what my shortcut says.
    Former Projects:

Hey Vartan i have the same problem as Lukas. windows 7 64 bit, steam-Rome Gold(as you said) i;ve tried what you set up perhaps i should clean everything and try again? After i first installed and and fired up eb it actually went to a eb load screen but that was it. now i think Rome is gonna have to be wiped too. if you have any thoughts thatd be great if you could get back to me. and sorry for the run on sentences

Never mind i've figured it out, with your help and another guy i found on youtube. thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    Never mind i've figured it out, with your help and another guy i found on youtube. thanks guys
    Are you sure it wasn't my video? Haha. It's been a while since my February post. I'm glad you got it to work.
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by plaut View Post
    hey plaut any chance you cna post what your fix was. i can't seem to figure it out. got as far as rewriting the target but can't get a valid address for it.

Hey, question to the forum:

I have Steam (and purchased RTW Gold off of it), and I installed EB following the directions of the post above. However, mid-way through the first time I played, the screen blanked and I was forced to restart my computer. When I tried to access RTW EB again, I received the error message "You do not have a valid Steam subscription for this applicatoin [AppID=4760]". I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue, and if so, what did you do about it. Thanks in advance for the help.

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Welcome to the forum!

General reasons for CTD's in EB and their solution are covered here, concerning your specific problem I would start by verifying the local game cache, sometimes RTW damages itself after a crash.
    If that doesn't help you may want to clear Steam's cache and user settings (after a synchronization with the cloud). If even that doesn't help a complete re-installation of Steam would be my next step, however other more Steam related support forums may have advice on that particular error message.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Hi whenever i do that one step at 5:22 i get this error message The name C:\ Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe -applaunch 4760 -show_err -nm -mod:eb specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct. and i cannot apply the setting.

Any solutions to this?

I run Windows 7, Steam, RTW Gold, and installed both EB 1.1 and 1.2, I followed the video but to no help.

Thanks in advance

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -show_err -mod:eb
    Re-check the spelling.

This one is a text-based guide did you also read this?

XSamatan

Quote Originally Posted by XSamatan View Post
    Re-check the spelling.

This one is a text-based guide did you also read this?

XSamatan
    Thanks, the txt did help it works now. I installed both 1.1 and 1.2 of EB but when I launched the game it only said 1.1 on the main screen, even though install of 1.2 was complete. Is that a small in game misspell?

That is a severe problem. You directed the 1.2 installer to a wrong location, you should install new. Follow this installation guide and afterwards do the additional steps for Steam.

As a reminder:
    1.1 and 1.2 are going in the same directory, your main RTW folder (i.e.: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold)

XSamatan