Thread: My first real attempt at poetry, and my response to The Road Not Taken by R. Frost.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default My first real attempt at poetry, and my response to The Road Not Taken by R. Frost.

The left one chews mouth.
    A snowflake descends and dies away elsewhere.
    I mouthchew, nothing happens if I stop.
    There's a walrus there, walrusing on the road.
    The walrus is gone.

- Fin.

So tell me what you think please. My influences are of mostly existential origin. Thanks guys.
    And I'd prefer it if I didn't analyse it myself, though I will if none of you can draw your own meaning from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: My first real attempt at poetry, and my response to The Road Not Taken by R. Fros

Gonna need a little help

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Default Re: My first real attempt at poetry, and my response to The Road Not Taken by R. Fros

I like it. Walrusing...XD
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

DAMNIT, I hate it when I just don't get it. You can't do that to me. Start explaining.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I am the eggman. Paul is dead.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Motep View Post
    I like it. Walrusing...XD
    QFT.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

The snowflake represents the life of the walrus, which has passed away. His life much like that of a snowflake, brief and fleeting. I don't know what the chewing mouth represents however. Perhaps the contemplation of death, whether which to take him or not.
    Silence is beautiful

drug usage is bad

Chewing mouth chews coca leaf...
    Walrusing in an intoxication...
    Gone is rational conciousness...
    heart beats...
    slower and slower...
    death-
    Last edited by A Nerd; 02-21-2011 at 06:09.
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    Chewing mouth chews coca leaf...
    but nothing happens when he stops....

I propose that everything is a hallucination, and robert frost is huddled underneath a table
    Last edited by Motep; 02-21-2011 at 06:12.

The intoxication provides the chewing when the mind is no longer aware of any chewing. To chew or not to chew, that is the question!
    Silence is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    The intoxication provides the chewing when the mind is no longer aware of any chewing. To chew or not to chew, that is the question!
    *response I am too lazy to make

I shall walrus in the road till you can provide one. Then I shall chicken across it to meet your response.

edit: Had to complete my thought. My God, it's full of stars!
    Last edited by A Nerd; 02-21-2011 at 06:26.
    Silence is beautiful

the question is, rather, whether we count the chewing of the mind. He specifically said mouthchew.

Yes, but in order for the mouth to chew, the mind must think it first. Mind chew would have made no sense, but in essence, that is what is at the root of mouth chew. In the poem, mouth chew elludes to mind chew which is affected by mouth chew yeilding the walrus intoxication and non existance.
    Silence is beautiful

But the mouth still needs to chew. The mind chewing does nothing to intoxicate on its own.

I suppose. But we must assume in the poem that the intoxication and the non existance is a given. Therefore, the mind told the mouth to chew, it chewed, and the the intoxication/non existance was realized. In order for the mouth not to chew, the poem would have to be re written and the walrus would still be walrusing on the road and would not dissappear.
    Silence is beautiful

I think that somewhere out there in the hallucinatory abyss, a nerd is high on crack.

Oh populus, you have such a way with words! :) But really, poems are like hallucinations of the writer. The words provide the intoxication that others may read and experience without the detrimental effects of toxins and there inevitable side effects.
    Silence is beautiful

Are you a poet?

In a past life, in a fantasy, in a delusion that I actually have some talent in writing it! :)
    Silence is beautiful

I enjoyed the OP. Very nice.