Thread: Middle-Earth campaign map?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Middle-Earth campaign map?

I'm just looking for Middle-Earth high res picture suitable for a campaign map. If you have any or know where I can find it, please, let me know. I'm not a graphic of any kind so I can't paint it myself. Thanks.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-16-2011 at 12:41.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Default Re: Middle-Earth campaign map?

Map from Battle for Middle-earth(without location icons, suitable for Med castles maybe?): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277511
    Very big white-black map(replacing white with some stylish parchment texture would be good): http://www.freeinfosociety.com/media/images/4878.jpg

These are too small, I think: http://earing.80port.net/images/maps...le%20Earth.jpg , http://www.ardalibrary.net/pictures/maps/pmap.jpg

What are you planning?
    Last edited by huth; 02-16-2011 at 17:26.
    Sorry for my bad English.

Thank you very much. I should have started with twcenter. The other maps looks interesting too (I need a lot of names - provinces, towns/castles, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    What are you planning?
    I try to put together the remainings of ME:TW mod. If I get the permission from the author maybe I'll share my work with the community here. If not it will be my home mod.

btw I can't find any release (even beta) of Silmarillion:TW. Theoretically, the project is only suspended but 3 years past since last message so I think it's canceled. It's a pity because those two mods was nearly finished (judging by the posts). I'll be grateful if someone can send me the remainings of Silmarillion:TW. I'm sure some units will fit into third age too.
    Last edited by Stazi; 02-16-2011 at 19:05.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Yeah, that's a shame that those mods weren't released, the units were incredible.
    Nice to hear that someone wants to do something with that! :P
    If you need some help, I can do something(testing, graphics).
    Sorry for my bad English.

We (me and huth) are working on revival of Middle Earth mod and I'd like to know if there are any people still interested?
    We made entirely new campaign map with 119 land and sea regions. Two days ago I've finally managed to make a campaign working without too many CTDs. Now I'm slowly transferring graphics made by ME:TW team. I'm still learning about MTW mechanics so it's not an easy process.

The other problem is that I don't know the whole idea behind the mod so some things look really strange. For example: 8 trade goods which were made signs of capitals for 8 "nations" (Elves, Dwarfs, Gondor, Rohan, Harad, Isengard, Mordor, Orcs)!? All other trade goods were removed. New tech tree with about 30 new buildings but not even one word of description, info pics etc. So... if you know someone who was a member of the METW team or one of the beta testers please let me know. I've tried to contact via PM the last active mod creator (christof139) few weeks ago but no answer till now. Eventually, we'll have to make whole tech tree from the scratch.

Hmm... I'm just thinking about the faith and how to convert all hardcoded faith related things to fit the middle-earth e.g. zeal, catholic/muslim rebellions, etc. If you know how to cover this, please, let me know. Generally, any ideas are welcomed!

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

never worked with the original modders, but from my perspective it was clear that they were really trying to push the mechanics of the game.

IIRC, the 8 trade goods are actually resources (you gotta make this distinction), resources determine what buildings can be constructed in the province via the build_prod. It makes for an excellent way of representing the distinctive cultures in the middle earth universe.

For example: suppose i want to limit the construction of elven buildings in the original elven regions, I'd make all elven buildings require say the "gold" resource, and then add that resource to the regions i want to limit the constructions to. Then it's a simple process of rename "gold" to "elven culture" (or whatever) and giving it a new icon. BANG easy construction limits based on a resources in the form of "culture".

Now as for their tech tree, it was a very, very rudimentary proof-of-concept work-in-progress. ;)
    They'd built their building tree as a bit of a skeleton for each faction, they were pretty much carbon copies of each other. E.g. The men of gondor get a temple that gives a morale boost, so do the evil men - same building, same function, different name, different picture. (note this is an example, i can't actually remember if such a building existed)

It was very basic, very unpolished and they tried creating it far too rigid in my eyes. Everything was far too equal and balanced, if it was completed, i think the concept behind this ultra-rigid, carbon-copied skeleton would've made for no challenge playing as any faction. Each would've been too equal and samey. Not very interesting (at least with the tech-tree on the campaign map --- the actual units were quite diverse and very nice).

Zeal can further represent patriotism, faith can be a ratio/measurement of the cultures in the region, conflicting "religions" represent conflicting cultures and naturally disputes and uprisings/rebellions will occur. Too easy! :D

I recommend rebuilding the tech tree, but i liked the concept behind the resources and the intentions that they had for them, as my knowledge has it, no released mod has used a similar feature like this.

As you might've guessed, I for one am interested in this mod. Keep at it.

- Hope this post helps you both Stazi and huth.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.