Thread: What do you eat on your lunch break?

Default What do you eat on your lunch break?

I usually eat Mexican food, Arby's, or I get a pretzel in the mall. I'm getting tired of wasting my money and my health on junk food, especially considering it takes about a half an hour to an hour of work to make enough money to buy a meal, and I'm looking for suggestions for meals that are easy and quick to make, are healthy, and are easy to carry with me on my way to work.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Default Re: What do you eat on your lunch break?

I used to make tuna fish sandwiches alot. Quick and easy to make and relatively healthy. A little mayo, celery and onion. Quite tasty!

Egg salad too. With celery and onion!
    Silence is beautiful

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Don't eat, that's cheap. Other than that I second A Nerd's(lol nerd) suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    Don't eat, that's cheap. Other than that I second A Nerd's(lol nerd) suggestions.
    Yea but then I get hungry...and I need the energy when I'm working a long shift.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Umm ... lunch?

Aside from all the normal kinda stuff, sometimes I'll make onigiri if I have some leftover salmon to put in the center.

Not as fancy as those above; just a plain ball with goodies in the middle:

They're essentially rice balls with nori (a type of seaweed) wrapped around it, sometimes with a goodie in the middle (which can vary).

Umeboshi?! JUST SAY NO! Yuckie salted pickled plums (in the last pic). Only thing worse I can think of is natto (below; fermented soy bean), ugh!

Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by A Nerd View Post
    I used to make tuna fish sandwiches alot. Quick and easy to make and relatively healthy. A little mayo, celery and onion. Quite tasty!

Egg salad too. With celery and onion!
    Egg salad is good

Quote Originally Posted by Togakure View Post
    Umm ... lunch?

Aside from all the normal kinda stuff, sometimes I'll make onigiri if I have some leftover salmon to put in the center.

They're essentially rice balls with nori (a type of seaweed) wrapped around it, sometimes with a goodie in the middle (which can vary).

Umeboshi?! JUST SAY NO! Yuckie salted pickled plums (in the last pic). Only thing worse I can think of is natto (below; fermented soy bean), ugh!

mmmmmm I love Japanese food I'll have to try that some time.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Umm ... lunch?

What's the fun in life if you don't put faces on your onigiri? ^__^
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

'Broodje tartaar' usually. http://www.smulsluis.nl/images/c.broodjetartaar.jpg and yes that's raw meat. Delicious with a boiled egg on it, some onion and black pepper

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At School, just a bottle of water and a pretzel.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

make a sandwich it will be good and cheap

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

You could also boil up some rice at home and bring it as a side. I assume you have a way of heating it up at work. That stuff will stick with you for awhile. Try boiling it in chicken broth.
    Silence is beautiful

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I have two lunches. At work lots of fried chicken and chips. Then at home skinless chicken with wholemeal bread. Got to feed the beast!
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Nissin bowl of noodles (87 cents at Walmart), banana, apple. Cup of Tazo green tea.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Little Mons†er Senior Member Secura's Avatar

If I'm at home, it usually boils down to organic scrambled eggs on lovely soda bread with just a little pepper and brown sauce to taste. I've also become very fond of pastrami lately, so I've also taken to having that along with iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes and light salad cream sandwiched between crusty wholemeal bread.

I like to accompany my lunch at home with a nice cup of Twinings' Lady Grey, an absolutely gorgeous twist on the usual Earl Grey blend that I highly recommend.

However, if I am out of the house, it really depends on time and present company; if I need something on the go, I usually end up having supermarket sushi or something similar (I know, t'is bad for me, but it's addictive!), but if there's no rush and I'm with friends, I'll pop into a gastropub for some proper cooked food and a glass of dry white wine on the sly. :>
    Last edited by Secura; 02-19-2011 at 02:08.
    "Blacker than a moonless night. Hotter and more bitter than Hell itself… that is coffee."

Throne Room Caliph Senior Member phonicsmonkey's Avatar

I used to eat all kinds of things from the local cafes and kiosks but now I have a mortgage so I'm trying to save money by making my own lunch. Luckily I have a fridge at work so instead of taking sandwiches from home (which go soggy and stale) I can make them fresh at work. I'm working out a lot right now so I'm trying to keep the fat down - I have wholemeal rolls stuffed with lean ham and slices of pickled cucumber, a hard-boiled egg and some nuts and a piece of fruit. That's most days. One day a week I splash out and have turkish food (pide or falafel usually).
    frogbeastegg's TWS2 guide....it's here!

Come to the Throne Room to play multiplayer hotseat campaigns and RPGs in M2TW.

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

I got me some giant oranges. I eat that, and mix it up with other fruit.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

Blog Entries

Totally depends on the day. I usually pack a lunch of some sort, Leftovers, maybe a sandwich, plus veggies and something to drink. Although at least once a week we'll gather a crew and head over to Pho-Cyclo (A fantastic Vietnamese place).

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Fruits
    Nuts
    Protein
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

On a workday: a 5"x10"x2" Tupperware filled with Basmati rice and frozen veggies, a can of good salmon dumped at on end, and lots of hummus and hot sauce. The frozen veggies keep the food fresh and are thawed by lunch.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Umm ... lunch?

Brilliant!
    Unto each good man a good dog

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Umm ... lunch?

This onigiri pic is based on a famous asky art from 2channel :p
    search for おにぎり (アスキーアート)

I don't mind you mocking umeboshi (though I like them), I can't allow you mocking my natto beans!
    Try this. Raw egg in a bowl. Mix it up, and add the fully mixed up natto bean in there. That should reduce the yucky flavour.

I usually have Ramen Japanese noodle for lunch. Either at uni, or out side. Theres just so many good ramen shops out there that I must go to...

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

lol I have a major problem with ramen noodles, I can't stop eating them, sometimes I'll eat three bowls in one sitting. I like to dump a whole bunch of mexican hot sauce into them. Of course here I can only get the cheap kind that comes in a package, they're really nasty but really tasty, all at the same time...

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    ... I don't mind you mocking umeboshi (though I like them), I can't allow you mocking my natto beans!
    Try this. Raw egg in a bowl. Mix it up, and add the fully mixed up natto bean in there. That should reduce the yucky flavour.

I usually have Ramen Japanese noodle for lunch. Either at uni, or out side. Theres just so many good ramen shops out there that I must go to...
    Heh, I was teasing, though I don't care much for umeboshi and natto. My brother loves natto, and my father loves umeboshi. Yep, with raw egg is how my mother prepared it. I just had the raw egg with a little soy sauce, mixed up and poured over steaming hot white rice. Mmmmmm! NO natto though. UGH!

Ramen! Sapporo Ichiban!! Well, I guess there in Japan Sapporo Ichiban is probably not considered very good, but here in the US it is much better than Top Ramen (Ugh!) or some of the other lousy brands. I like it with spinach, leftover beefy slices ( ), fish cake, egg, shittake mushrooms, and pickled eggplant on the side. I have it for lunch often, sometimes for dinner if I have enough goodies to put in it. MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!! I am now quite hungry.
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

I usually buy lunch rather then pack one with me. What i eat mostly depends where i happen to be when the lunch time kicks in, but as of late kebab with salad has been my choice many times as i try to get rid of ecxess carbs in my diet.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Whatever is at the dining hall.