[I previously posted this on a Steam Forum)

I've played the demo. I am really excited for this game to be released, in that, so far, it appears much better than Empire. To begin, I'll list my credentials as a Total War gamer: I've played since Medieval Total War 1. Currently, I play Rome Total War with Europa Barbarorum, and Medieval 2 Kingdoms with Stainless Steel. If you don't have Rome or Medieval 2 Kingdoms, get them, and try those mods.

Shogun 2 has a better interface, campaign and battle map designs than previous versions, and cool graphics. I like it. The battle map moves too fast, however, and it does feel more immediate action oriented instead of long term strategic oriented. The units move way too fast, which make the animations appear choppy. I have a very powerful computer, so it isn't my computer. It is the animation.

That is fine. However, a modder's touch could really smooth out the game for Old Timers in the genre, allowing changes to be made to units and script, but also leave room for the New Comers to enjoy CA's ever-changing vision. In all Total War games, I've never enjoyed vanilla--no offence CA. You guys create the game. Without the game, I could never enjoy the modifications done by the community. That is part of the fun and excitement of Total War.

I so far like the campaign map...it feels like a map. I did not like Medieval 2's campaign map, nor Empires. Rome was the best (under the influence of Europa Barbarorum).

However, given what I've seen, I do want to wait for Gamespot's review, along with fan reviews. Fan reviews are most important. I find fan reviews at Gamespot reliable.

I might not purchase the game on release unless they also release modding tools. Such is the way of Total War games, as I stated above. Europa Barbaroum II is in development for Medieval 2 Total War, and I can wait for that.

However, I think Shogun 2 has potential. After Empire, I'm just not sure what to expect. I do hope the best. Cheers!