Thread: Modding tools for Total War: Shogun 2

Default Modding tools for Total War: Shogun 2

Here are listed usefull modding tools for Total War Shogun 2 (demo). Not a long list so far, but hopefully it will become longer..

NTW Packfilemanager

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=346400

Here is a nice tutorial how to use it:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...60#post6920060

updated esf editor from just

Hey guys,

I've updated the ESF Editor to be compatible with Shogun 2 and fixed one or two bugs.

DOWNLOAD : CLICK HERE

This version is based on 1.4.5 by Erasmus777 and has the same features, but no node descriptions xml has been included because I don't know how accurate it would be, you guys can always make a new one, right? ;) Or just use the one from the 1.4.5 version.

Changes:
    • Added support for new ESF format used by Shogun 2 (new magic number and ascii and wide strings are stored with id at the end of the ESF instead of the old in the middle of the other data)
    • Fixed bug that could cause a corrupt ESF file when saving
    • Added support for new data formats (another 16 bit short and two more binary data types)
    • Fixed crash when no node descriptions are available
    • Go to Shogun 2/Napoleon folder when they exist instead of Empire folders
    • Shows Shogun 2/Napoleon save games in the list when opening a save game

Source code is available so if you find any bugs you can fix them yourself :thumbsup2
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 02-27-2011 at 19:07.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Default Re: Modding tools for Total War: Shogun 2

The encyclopedia is simply an embedded HTML component with support for CSS and JavaScript. I'm guessing this is an Internet Explorer component which given that the game is supposed to run on XP means you might need to watch out for weird rendering. Other than that, you get pretty much the same flexibility to do what you can do with websites.

Strangely, the Creative Assembly used cufón to embed the font that they choose, but IIRC IE 7 and upwards support @font-face CSS techniques just fine. If you use cufón you can't let people select text (presumably that is also the reason why CA disabled text selection through JavaScript).
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Here is another great tool for modding the demo files:

updated esf editor from just
    Hey guys,

I've updated the ESF Editor to be compatible with Shogun 2 and fixed one or two bugs.

DOWNLOAD : CLICK HERE

This version is based on 1.4.5 by Erasmus777 and has the same features, but no node descriptions xml has been included because I don't know how accurate it would be, you guys can always make a new one, right? ;) Or just use the one from the 1.4.5 version.

Changes:
    • Added support for new ESF format used by Shogun 2 (new magic number and ascii and wide strings are stored with id at the end of the ESF instead of the old in the middle of the other data)
    • Fixed bug that could cause a corrupt ESF file when saving
    • Added support for new data formats (another 16 bit short and two more binary data types)
    • Fixed crash when no node descriptions are available
    • Go to Shogun 2/Napoleon folder when they exist instead of Empire folders
    • Shows Shogun 2/Napoleon save games in the list when opening a save game

Source code is available so if you find any bugs you can fix them yourself :thumbsup2
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Puppet King Senior Member AggonyKing's Avatar

these tools work with the full game? I wouldn't think there would be a difference but best ask :)

"Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare."
    Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyKing View Post
    these tools work with the full game? I wouldn't think there would be a difference but best ask :)
    These work somewhat. There are still mainly lot of DB files which can only be modded using tenacious hex editing with mixed results. We can only hope that PFM will be updated soon by certain wizards of modding community.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

The Puppet King Senior Member AggonyKing's Avatar

hmm i'll wait a little more then for the more established tw modders to pave the way on shogun 2 a little. If only CA would release some official modding tools for shogun 2....a guy can dream right? :P

"Cuiusvis hominis est errare; nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare."
    Any man can make a mistake; only a fool keeps making the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by AggonyKing View Post
    hmm i'll wait a little more then for the more established tw modders to pave the way on shogun 2 a little. If only CA would release some official modding tools for shogun 2....a guy can dream right? :P
    I bet you are not the only one. With proper tools for editing the text files, map and models.I think lot of great things could be done. Lets hope someone can make that happen rather sooner then later.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

They have updated the PFM to a TWS2 1.6.1 version.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=433370

And the ESF editor is up to 1.4.8
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428754

Still can't see a lot of things though. I only use a hex editor if I'm getting paid to do so.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    They have updated the PFM to a TWS2 1.6.1 version.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=433370

And the ESF editor is up to 1.4.8
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=428754

Still can't see a lot of things though. I only use a hex editor if I'm getting paid to do so.
    Thanks for the links drone.If i recal correctly PFM 1.6.1 has some issues generating corrupted files, but hopefully it will be fixed soon.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.