Thread: Expert Help with Recoloring Needed

Exclamation Expert Help with Recoloring Needed

When using BIF reader on a Unit BIF, the Color of the displayed unit's War Flag is always "Ronin" in the Color Table.
    I need someone to find the Flag Colors for the other Seven Clans.
    This is a Very Important Request.

Last edited by Arisaka; 02-27-2011 at 10:43.

Exclamation Re: Expert Help with Recoloring Needed

Update: I've found the Flag Colors for the Shimazu Clan.

For some clarification, the purpose of this project is to help people who are interested in using the Unit Sprites for STW.
    And the reason why I need help in finding the Flag Colors for the other clans is so that other people don't have to get stuck with only being able to use "Ronin Faction" Sprites and avoid having to struggle (like I am right now) with finding the Flag Colors themselves and end up making a mistake in the coloring of the flags.

So please provide some much-needed feedback.
    Last edited by Arisaka; 02-27-2011 at 10:52.

Default Re: Expert Help with Recoloring Needed

Hello there Arisaka,

It has certainly been many years since I worked with STW, but I think you got the colors right (it certainly looks like it) – however they must be in proper order/sequence in the palette. Is that the problem here?

If so, use Bif-reader 22b-tool (the only one that seems to work properly) and the “view color table” option (at the bottom centre of the "window/menu"). Palette index 240-254 is key to get the factions colors working in STW (you can not change that index-sequence, or it won't work properly). Things works slightly different then MTW but the basic principle is the same. That is my understanding here…

As for the flag-faction-colors as such, I think they are just RGB values and hardcoded – just as MTW V.1.1 for instance.

Hope this helps some.

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hello there Arisaka,

It has certainly been many years since I worked with STW, but I think you got the colors right (it certainly looks like it) – however they must be in proper order/sequence in the palette. Is that the problem here?

If so, use Bif-reader 22b-tool (the only one that seems to work properly) and the “view color table” option (at the bottom centre of the "window/menu"). Palette index 240-254 is key to get the factions colors working in STW (you can not change that index-sequence, or it won't work properly). Things works slightly different then MTW but the basic principle is the same. That is my understanding here…

As for the flag-faction-colors as such, I think they are just RGB values and hardcoded – just as MTW V.1.1 for instance.

Hope this helps some.

- Cheers
    Yes. I clearly know how to use BIFreader.
    It's the Flag Faction Colors that I'm trying to find.

Is it possible that the information for the Faction Colors is stored in either a JSR, BP8, BIT, or DSC File?

Maybe I was not clear enough here, my bad. I’ll be clear now…

You can not change the colors of index 240-254 in a unit BIF-plate/file in the way you are seemingly suggesting and expect it to work. Replacing the colors of index 240-254. That will never ever work. Palette 240-254 are special and functions as “dummies” for the basic faction colors as determined by RGB numerals, for instance R: 255, G: 255, B:255 will result in various nuances of white for instance – in STW.

Thus, leave index 240-254 alone or you will only have troops that always displays a certain color – green for instance, as above – regardless if the troops belongs to Oda, Mori or Takeda-clans or ronin…

The only way that will work as you seemingly want it to function is to do separate BIF-files for each and every clan with special dedicated colors within the BIF-file. However, due to hardcoding in STW I don’t think that is practically possible to then apply these several “new” BIF-plates arduously made….

As I was trying to say in my first post, the faction colors are not in the files (as far as troops go), they are RGB values/numerals applied to index 240-254 by the game-engine…

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Maybe I was not clear enough here, my bad. I’ll be clear now…

You can not change the colors of index 240-254 in a unit BIF-plate/file in the way you are seemingly suggesting and expect it to work. Replacing the colors of index 240-254. That will never ever work. Palette 240-254 are special and functions as “dummies” for the basic faction colors as determined by RGB numerals, for instance R: 255, G: 255, B:255 will result in various nuances of white for instance – in STW.

Thus, leave index 240-254 alone or you will only have troops that always displays a certain color – green for instance, as above – regardless if the troops belongs to Oda, Mori or Takeda-clans or ronin…

The only way that will work as you seemingly want it to function is to do separate BIF-files for each and every clan with special dedicated colors within the BIF-file. However, due to hardcoding in STW I don’t think that is practically possible to then apply these several “new” BIF-plates arduously made….

As I was trying to say in my first post, the faction colors are not in the files (as far as troops go), they are RGB values/numerals applied to index 240-254 by the game-engine…

- Cheers
    Oh no no no no. I wasn't planning to ALTER the BIF files. I just wanted to FIND THE COLORS of the other six factions.
    That's the whole reason I was asking for information on how to and where to get RGB values from the Game.

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Hello Arisaka,

I've run into these, but it's long ago. I'll browse the folders again. Flags are called Mons, iirc they were also in BIF files.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

There are mons in campmap called col_daim_mons_xxx.bif, there are monBIF files in standard, standards and Textures/men. The ones in campmap show the other 6 faction colors, the others are more about heraldy and toppings of big standards. I hope this helps you?

Maybe related, maybe a sidenote. You might find yourself wanting to edit a LDM file for STW too (for example unitcards). You likely won't be able to use modern applications for that. The LDM they make will have side effects. You can find a LDM tool here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...=d&pp=5&page=3 and https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...=d&pp=5&page=4
    Ja mata

TosaInu