Thread: Monsanto and its GE Crops

Default Monsanto and its GE Crops

Organic crops have been grown by farmers for centuries and have adapted well to its environment. Since there is a variety of different environments, there is a variety of genes to adapt to one particular environment. This is why it's more safe to have a variety of genes.

I'm afraid the stability in crop supply is being threatened by GE crops. It's true that the crop gets genetically engineered to be strong to certain diseases, insecticides and herbicides (made by the same company). But one mustn't forget that the native crops are more resistant to the calamities of its region, such as diseases, pests, climate, etc. Monsanto didn't create a crop that would be resistant to everyone of these, and each of its species have the same genes. Unfortunately, Monsanto's GE crops are dominating the market. Why am I worried - think of what happened in Ireland because of the lack of variety (in this case, a lack of variety in species).

Another particular crop scares me. Monsanto is creating a crop that won't create seeds. This is to ensure that the farmers follow the patent law that doesn't allow the farmers to grow those seeds. This is to make the farmers buy more of Monsanto's seeds. What if this gets mixed up with the native crops? Fortunately, the company announced that it won't sell this, although the company also announced that it was still researching it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto
    Terminator seed controversy

In June 2007,[33] Monsanto acquired Delta & Pine Land Company, a company that had patented a seed technology nicknamed Terminators. This technology, which was never known to have been used commercially, produces plants that have sterile seeds so they do not flower or grow fruit after the initial planting. This prevents the spread of those seeds into the wild, however it also requires customers to repurchase seed for every planting in which they use Terminator seed varieties. Farmers who do not use a terminator seed could also be affected by his neighboring farmer that does through natural pollination. In recent years, widespread opposition from environmental organizations and farmer associations has grown, mainly out of the concerns that hypothetical seeds using this technology could increase farmers' dependency on seed suppliers.

Despite the fact that in 1999, Monsanto pledged not to commercialize Terminator technology,[34] Delta Vice President, Harry Collins, declared at the time in a press interview in the Agra/Industrial Biotechnology Legal Letter, ‘We’ve continued right on with work on the Technology Protection System (TPS or Terminator). We never really slowed down. We’re on target, moving ahead to commercialize it. We never really backed off.’ [35]
    Another thing that's very concerning is the way Monsanto controls farmers through patents. Farmers have to pay higher because of this. Farmers who haven't bought Monsanto's crops get accused of stealing the seeds. These seeds spread to other farms easily through the wind, insects and birds. It's not fair for the farmers. Here is an article that explains the patent issue:
    http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/f...monsanto200805

Unfortunately, native crops are becoming rare wherever Monsanto's crops are being sold:
    http://www.prwatch.org/node/9903

Here are some more links on Monsanto:
    http://forums.thedailyshow.com/?page...hread_id=23487
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup...modified_crops

Why am I concerned - what if a disease that could be a blow to the GE crops start to spread? What if a native crop that was resistant to that disease has already become rare?
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 02-27-2011 at 15:08.
    Wooooo!!!

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Monsanto and its GE Crops

I am also very sceptic. That's not the right approach and we are playing with nature (again). The GM technology is still not very well studied (esp. its impact on environment). I have nothing against doing GMO researches (and be careful not to pollute the environment with modified genes) but doing a business with it is premature and a dangerous game. In addition, I don't think the GM technology actually benefits the small farmers who become dependant on the big companies.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 02-27-2011 at 18:23.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Monsanto is an evil corporation bent on global domination.

They'll have you pay for something which has been free for ten thousand years. All that's missing is their having the brutality to make you pay for the air you breathe. The best way to make corporations like Monsanto behave in the public's interest, is not to attack them, but to limit their influence over governments. Monsanto's business is government patents, and governments protecting these patents.
    Never in the history of mankind has one been able to patent dog breeds, or wheat, or corn. Free markets can't function with too much government protection of private interest.

this is why we need a strong EU and an independent agricultural policy etc etc
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    this is why we need a strong EU and an independent agricultural policy etc etc
    I agree.
    Wooooo!!!

Blog Entries

Well the farmers could just buy seed from other suppliers that dont remove the seed producing capability of crops, or are monsanto a monopoly as well?
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

I can't believe we have three pages of discussion about the uselessnes of the outdated russian army, while no one reacts to this thread. Monsanto is much more dangerous atm than the russian army.

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    I can't believe we have three pages of discussion about the uselessnes of the outdated russian army, while no one reacts to this thread. Monsanto is much more dangerous atm than the russian army.
    Well, there's not much to add from me, as I agree with it.... 3 things:

1. Lack of variety has led to all sorts of nastiness before. It will again.
    2. These crops are alien to the natural habitat. Its arrival will mean the extinction of some other species, which in turn will upset the ecosystem.
    3. I don't enjoy watching a return to feudalism...

GE crops can be a good thing. But there's no way in hell I want the free market to control it, that would be as ridiculously idiotic as letting the free market control fishing quotas. Everyone will try to squeeze everything they can get ASAP, without thinking about the next 50 years. So, let the government handle it or leave it alone.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

ya'll make me lol

The only way we are going to be able to feed the 9 billion people that will be on this earth on 2050 is by using good ol fashioned industrial farming techniques and coupling them with this kind of reasearch

Do I like what monsanto is doing? Not really but do I recognize it needs to be done. Yes

Granted strong arming farmers and these seeds are merley a result of the above problem. Monsanto got its start by being able to produce allot of food, and allot of food quickly

SO WHATS THE PLAN GUYS
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

What's the plan?

A global one-child policy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    What's the plan?

A global one-child policy.
    Because that worked so well for China, which now has a large surplus of men and not enough women? Just remember, it wasn't the state that was killing female babies - it was the families, so there is no reason to think that wouldn't happen on a similar scale across large parts of the planet.

You talk about removing genetic diversity in plants being a problem then suggest a policy like that? The irony is almost too much to bear!

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

ya'll make me lol

The only way we are going to be able to feed the 9 billion people that will be on this earth on 2050 is by using good ol fashioned industrial farming techniques and coupling them with this kind of reasearch

Do I like what monsanto is doing? Not really but do I recognize it needs to be done. Yes

Granted strong arming farmers and these seeds are merley a result of the above problem. Monsanto got its start by being able to produce allot of food, and allot of food quickly

SO WHATS THE PLAN GUYS
    I suspect we will be growing meat and veg in vats soon enough far more efficient, GMO is really going to be a fad that people will lok back on and laugh at like legwarmers or 8tracks.

We will still have "normal" food prob be grown as merely a luxury product etc etc.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Oh but we can easily feed 9 billion people without requiring Monsanto et all. Modern farming techniques go a long way towards that, industrial scale farming alone is sufficient.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Large part of the problem is waste and oversupply in areas that don't need it.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Oh but we can easily feed 9 billion people without requiring Monsanto et all. Modern farming techniques go a long way towards that, industrial scale farming alone is sufficient.
    Yup, the argument for patented terminator seeds rests on the Malthusian fallacy, which Strike articulated very nicely up above. Hint: Malthus was wrong.

Blog Entries

Because that worked so well for China, which now has a large surplus of men and not enough women? Just remember, it wasn't the state that was killing female babies - it was the families, so there is no reason to think that wouldn't happen on a similar scale across large parts of the planet.
    How about a global two child policies? The ideal is one boy and one girl in a family(at least in some places) so it shouldnt end up in majoryty male population and you still get a decline in population as even if every couple in the world has the maximum amount of kids you'd only end up with a steady population.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 03-04-2011 at 19:23.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Monsanto
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Boohugh View Post

You talk about removing genetic diversity in plants being a problem then suggest a policy like that? The irony is almost too much to bear!
    Gay couples can't make babies; that's two flies in one stroke!

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

ya'll make me lol

SO WHATS THE PLAN GUYS
    Soylent Green.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

ya'll make me lol

SO WHATS THE PLAN GUYS
    Eat more bugs. Global citizens first.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

ya'll make me lol

SO WHATS THE PLAN GUYS
    Fine, let's give Monsanto's GE crops to third world countries and turn all these people in mutant weaklings. That's fine by me, as long as I don't get to eat that crap too.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Fine, let's give Monsanto's GE crops to third world countries and turn all these people in mutant weaklings. That's fine by me, as long as I don't get to eat that crap too.
    I dont think genetic mutations work that way.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Oh, what could possibly go wrong, Seymore?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*